Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

cpbiggs
Embryo

Introduction

Post by cpbiggs »

Hello, I am 25 year old fat body. I have not enlisted yet, i am supposed to go to meps on the 2nd of jan. When i first started i was 354lbs @ 6'2".
I am now down to 318 lbs at 26% body fat. My father-in-law told me that he is a former Ranger. He is one of the reasons that i want to become a Ranger, i see how he carry's him self and how other people see him, that is something that i want in my life, along with the confidence to know i can get anything done. I will mainly be a observer with little questions.
I already took the A.S.V.A.B. and got a 79 with a GT score of 118.
I think that sums it all up, if i left anything out or i was not supposed to put this much down please forgive me.

P.S. Thank you for what you do, no one on the out side world can ever contemplate what or how you gentleman do what you do. So thank you agian.
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome cpbiggs,

PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site. You have chosen a very lofty goal.

Congratulations on the work you have already done to achieve your goal.

At 6'2'', you still have more than 100 pounds to lose before you are a lean, mean, fighting machine and are worthy of a dream shot at RIP.

Sit tight, be quiet and absorb the site. Get the best pair of running shoes you can afford and (after checking with your Doctor) start running, running and running until you are runningat least 2-5 miles every day. Then run some more.

Good luck.
cpbiggs
Embryo

Post by cpbiggs »

Well thank you, i have already bought running shoes, and i started running a month and a half ago. When i started i was doing 15 min miles and now i am down to 8 min miles...i want to improve that by about a min or so, then i will hit the distance. I already hit the 2-3 mile mark 1-2 times a week. But i do run everyday. And i know about the weight loss but i am not worried about that, i know that the D.S.'s will do a great job of cutting alot of that off. And i am lookin foreward to that imensley....I can not wait to get out of here. Thank you once agian.
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

cpbiggs wrote:Well thank you, i have already bought running shoes, and i started running a month and a half ago. When i started i was doing 15 min miles and now i am down to 8 min miles...i want to improve that by about a min or so, then i will hit the distance. I already hit the 2-3 mile mark 1-2 times a week. But i do run everyday. And i know about the weight loss but i am not worried about that, i know that the D.S.'s will do a great job of cutting alot of that off. And i am lookin foreward to that imensley....I can not wait to get out of here. Thank you once agian.
Good luck but dont rush into this when you are not physically ready.
The majority of the injuries in basic were to the fat bodies. Reason being, thier bodies couldn't hack the rigorous training of basic training...and thats just basic.
Either way, good luck.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Good Luck young Hooah. Don't rush the weight loss to fast. It will come in time if you work at it. You should take the advice already given and RUN!!! It's the best thing for you.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
cpbiggs
Embryo

Post by cpbiggs »

Thank you Once agian for all the info and words of encouragement.....i will keep you all posted on how the progress goes.
Sik Dis Pakem Para Bellum

(If you want peace, Prepare for War)
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I mentored a big fellow like you - he failed the airborne school PT test, which is pretty hard to do.
Problem was, he started off like you - well, actually, way ahead of you in that he was down 75 pounds less than where you are now.
He had about an 8 month lead time, IIRC. Even though his progress, relative to himself, was excellent, he was far enough behind the curve that he just couldn't get into good enough condition even for airborne school in the almost a year that he had to prepare.

My point is, there's more to getting fit than shedding fat and gaining muscle strength, the entire body is a system & needs time to tune & adjust itself to the stresses that you & eventually the Army will be placing on it.

If you want to be a Ranger, you'll need to be patient because you just won't make it if you think you're going to try anytime in 2008.
There's a lot of good knowledge & experience in these pages, use it, ask questions and keep pushing yourself. Whether or not you eventually try out for our Regiment, you're bound to be better off as a result of trying so go for it!

One former DEP here, in order to help acclimatise himself to the early morning hours, working in the outdoors in the weather & to get into shape doing real work; got a job with a garbage collection outfit as a laborer.
Bending & lifting 30-60 pounds of dead weight for 6+ hours at a clip is pretty good acclimatisation. After OSUT, he felt that that had been a help.
In my own experience, I've seen many pretty gym musclebound boyos who could sling the barbells around like Arnold himself, but who couldn't help load up a truck, much less run a garbage collection route or last more than a minute at a fire scene, much less be able to endure something like RIP.
I'm NOT saying to not do your best in the gym & with 'normal' workouts, I'm suggesting that you seek hard physical work as well.
PT needs to become your lifestyle, not just an hour or two in the morning.
I won't wish you luck because here's where you'll make your own luck.
Welcome to our little corner of the WWW

(PS: My former fatguy DEP is now deployed with the 3dID. While he failed tryouts, his will to succeed stood him well in Legland, where his drive-on attitude & will to succeed made him the proverbial, as well as literal, 'big fish in a small pond'. Made rank & got responsibilty way ahead of his peers & even earned an ARCOM before deployment.
Of course, being able to excel in Legland wasn't good enough to even be able to get into RIP, much less survive in Regiment.
I point that out again just as a reality check.)
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
cpbiggs
Embryo

Post by cpbiggs »

Well i understand what you are saying and i appreciate the candor....

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

cpbiggs

Post by Steadfast »

cpbiggs wrote:Well i understand what you are saying and i appreciate the candor....
Re-read Copperhead's PM and all FAQ's. You are expected to properly address which Ranger(s) you are speaking with/to.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. You have a long hard road ahead of you to reach your goals. If it was easy, everybody would be a Ranger, but you can do it if you make a long term committment to get yourself in shape. Read the Rules of Engagement PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: cpbiggs

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Steadfast wrote:
cpbiggs wrote:Well i understand what you are saying and i appreciate the candor....
Re-read Copperhead's PM and all FAQ's. You are expected to properly address which Ranger(s) you are speaking with/to.
And check your spelling and punctuation when you post.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
cpbiggs
Embryo

Post by cpbiggs »

Well my apologies to Ranger Steadfast and to Ranger Kilted heathen for my lack of professionalism with regard to un propper addressing and grammar. I will try to not let it happen agian.

Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

cpbiggs wrote:Well my apologies to Ranger Steadfast and to Ranger Kilted heathen for my lack of professionalism with regard to un propper addressing and grammar. I will try to not let it happen agian.
Besides the fact that you ignored Ranger Kilted Heathen, (try the "Preview" button.....it's improper and again among other mistakes) your sarcasm will only hurt you.

It may seem silly to you, but "attention to detail" is one of the most important things you can learn before joining the military and this is the best way we can drive that fact home on an internet board.
RSD 96-99

Return to “Introduction Archive”