Hey LEOs

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

K.Ingraham wrote:....they aren't going to see your RV with it's running lights.
I own a late model Class A motor home. The headlights are tied to the ignition switch. As long as the engine is running, the headlights are on, day or night. All the new ones are manufactured like that. I think it's a good idea.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

hobbit wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote:....they aren't going to see your RV with it's running lights.
I own a late model Class A motor home. The headlights are tied to the ignition switch. As long as the engine is running, the headlights are on, day or night. All the new ones are manufactured like that. I think it's a good idea.
Yes, it's a good idea, another Detroit "innovation" forced by Canadian regulation but should've been common sense.

Now if they'd just create a device that'd block cell phone signal reception or transmission from the driver's seat...
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Now if they'd just create a device that'd block cell phone signal reception or transmission from the driver's seat...

They did, the army uses them everyday

QRT was here.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: Hey LEOs

Post by Horned Toad »

hobbit wrote: Yes, it's a serious question. 42,600 people died in traffic accidents last year. According to the NII, 12,000 of those people may not have had to die if everyone used their headlights 24/7. "I didn't see him," is the most common after-accident phrase. I'm just curious if any state police departments have policies regarding daylight headlight use on their cruisers.
When I was in charge of our fleet I had all the new rigs with daytime lights taken back to the dealer and reprogramed to turn them off. Why becuase you cant turn the damn things off at night, when you need to be discreet.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

I don't drive with my headlights on during the day because I do want to blend in with traffic and I don't want to be more easily visable to someone breaking the law from a distance.

Another reason why I don't drive with my headlights on is becuase I'm a professional driver, driving a high-performance pursuit vehicle which is inspected at least once a week. I don't crash, even though I regulary drive at speeds in excess of 100 M.P.H.

The average citizen never even LOOKS at thier tires, let alone inspect them. The average citizen looks, maybe, 20 feet in front of thier own front bumper. When suddenly placed into a dangerous situation while driving, the average citizen does ONE thing: Stomps as hard as possible on the brakes. Kinda like pursuits. When chased by the cops, bad guys do two things. Push down on the accelerator and hold on tight to the steering wheel. A monkey can do that. That's why we catch them. No skill, no finese, no professional driving.

Headlights ? We don't need no stinking headlights !
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Hey LEOs

Post by cams »

hobbit wrote:
cams wrote:
EarthPig wrote: And how many of those were caused by law enforcement vehicles driving without headlights? I'd be willing to bet they could be counted on a single hand. Now drunks driving with no headlights....yes, I've seen many of those. Also, an easy translation of "I didn't see them," in many cases is simply, "I had my head up my ass."
RLTW
EP
X2 on driving with their heads up their ass. Reading the paper, texting, talking, doing make-up, eating lunch, etc., let's start with cutting all this out first and see how much the stats come down before we start harping on the cops.

The NODS post made me laugh out loud!
Good point. I'll bet yapping on cell phones while driving causes a lot of fatal accidents.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or sincere with this post, but everything I mentioned as well as about 20 other diff things does cause fatal accidents, daily.

I've seen and responded to more bodies torn apart and spread out for yards on this job than I care to remember and sure enough, not one of them was a cop, headlights or not.

When I'm going code to back up another officer who's life is in danger, siren, lights up the ass everywhere flashing, and people still sit there in front of me, fucking around, can't hear me, can't see me, because their heads are up their ass and their busy doing something besides paying attention, that's a fucking big problem. So again, let's start there and see where the stats go.
Last edited by cams on November 25th, 2007, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Thanks RangerDan, now if that device could be fitted into my neighbor's kid's car.....
Hobbit, cops are like everyone else, some are good drivers & some wouldn't know what a turn signal is, much less where to find it - just like the rest of us.
513 - I teach EVOC, running at 100+ ain't safe, period. You don't react fast enough to the things other drivers will do. Maybe you personaly are still faster and fitter than most other motorists, but hey, out where you work, driving 100mph along I90 towards the horizon is just how one gets to work :lol:

If I was to get up on the soapbox about a safe driving subject, it would be seat belt use, or rather, lack thereof.
But I'll save that for another day.
Except to share the comment I made to a women who was hung up in her windshield, tore up by the glass, not much of her face left & pretty much unable to move because she was, well, hung up in the windshield.
"so, that seatbelt was too uncomfortable & restrictive right? How's that no seatbelt for comfort thing working out for you?".
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

K.Ingraham wrote:Thanks RangerDan, now if that device could be fitted into my neighbor's kid's car.....
Hobbit, cops are like everyone else, some are good drivers & some wouldn't know what a turn signal is, much less where to find it - just like the rest of us.
513 - I teach EVOC, running at 100+ ain't safe, period. You don't react fast enough to the things other drivers will do. Maybe you personaly are still faster and fitter than most other motorists, but hey, out where you work, driving 100mph along I90 towards the horizon is just how one gets to work :lol:

If I was to get up on the soapbox about a safe driving subject, it would be seat belt use, or rather, lack thereof.
But I'll save that for another day.
Except to share the comment I made to a women who was hung up in her windshield, tore up by the glass, not much of her face left & pretty much unable to move because she was, well, hung up in the windshield.
"so, that seatbelt was too uncomfortable & restrictive right? How's that no seatbelt for comfort thing working out for you?".
Kevin, your cruelty knows no bounds. 8) :lol:

That's funny as fuck, and I can see you very matter of factly saying it. :lol:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
WildBill
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by WildBill »

Too old for LEO work anymore. Did volunteer work as a Deputy after a drunk nearly killed her with a head on collision. 0330 hrs and he was on the wrong side of an interstate. She survived or i would be sending this from prison. I mistakenly thought i could lockup all the drunk drivers when I started. Right. locked up the same dumb-asses every two-three weeks only to watch them pay heavily and walk. Oh well.

Now, I drive tractor-trailer rigs and you would not believe some of the stupid stuff i see on a daily basis. No seat belts, eating a bowl of milk and cereal with both hands while steering with elbows while... talking on a cell phone with the blue tooth. Yes some of the drivers I have trained or run team with stare 20 feet in front of the tractor. The HH6 always wants to know why I'm tired after a trip. I tell her she should try sleeping in a rolling tractor while someone else is jerking the steering wheel and drifting back and forth in their lane.

My favorite bust ? On a LaborDay weekend I saw a pickup truck in the oncoming lane (55 mph state hwy) being driven by a 10 year old boy who could barely see over the dash. his "dad" was sitting in the passenger side drunk. He switched places with the kid when I cut a quick turnaround and hit the lights. He spilled beer all over himself. Had three shotguns in the front floorboards and a dog tied up in the back of the truck.

Needless to say he was jailed. It was worth it to see the look he got from his wife when she arrived with two little ones in-tow. If looks could kill he'd have been a dead SOB on the spot. Lucky for him he was out of county and could not post bail. He stayed lodged til the following tuesday
when he went before the judge.

He had 2 beers, his son drives the tractor around the farm so he saw no problem with letting him drive a pickup truck. Geez.

Pardon my rant. But thanks and that's my .02 for today.
ABN Nov, 1967 (4th STU BN TSB FT BEN GA)
82nd Sig Bn FT BRAGG NC
2/28th Inf 1st INF DIV RVN 1/1969 - 1/1970
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I get pissed off enough driving to work and seeing ignorant assholes (and thinking about my wife and daughter's safety). I can't imagine the frustration of a LEO.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

EarthPig wrote: Plus, everybody knows that cops are inherently better drivers than civilians.

RLTW
EP
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT

Return to “The Mosh Pit”