Training for a Marathon.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

Try this page, and the rest of his website. I used his half-marathon training and I really benefitted from it. I ran the Half in Houston, and a few other races this year. If you haven't gotten any "real" races in, get as many as you can. 5k's, 10k's, Half's, anything you can run. The experience is great. I plan on running in New York this fall, and hopefully Boston next year.

Oh yeah, don't skimp on shoes.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Charlie 51
Ranger

Re: Training for a Marathon.

Post by Charlie 51 »

ThingsImGoodAt wrote:Next Monday I start my 24 week training regiment for either the Marine Marathon in October, or the New York Marathon in November. I'm going to try to train with my FSO who has ran a few marathons already. Problem is, the 101st has a HUGE problem with Joes and Officers fratinizing at all, even on a level of physical training.

If for some reason I'm not able to train with him as much as I would like to, I was wondering if any of the Rangers, DEPS, Vets or Cadets had run or are currently training to run a marathon, and could give me any advice on to what training regiment worked best for them?

I'm going to use the running schedule from the newest issue of the Army times, mixed with aerobics, calistinics and low weight high rep exercises to strengthen muscle as opposed to building mass.

Also, any diet tips would greatly be appreciated.

thanks!
I run 6-8 Marathons a year and a few Ultra's so I feel qualified to help out here.

What is your goal time?
Your training program will vary according to this.
If it is 4 hours then I suggest you pick up the book 4 months to a 4 hour marathon. It is full of good info for the average marathoner (US national average for males is 4:36). Oprah and P Didy ran a 4 so I hope you are looking for more.

If so PM me and I can help.

As for diet- stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup. Genreal rule is if it comes in a box or sack it is bad. Any refining process breaks down nutrients in food so whole foods are best. Stay away from all refined sugars, they will rob you of energy you need.

White=bad
Brown=good

If you eat white bread, potatoes, rice etc. switch to brown whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice etc. Trust me you will feel the difference on your long runs. I eat a bowl of Whole grain cereal the night prior to a long run with a small snack in the morning to get things "moving" prior to the run. (read=take a grumpy).

Also you need to experiment with energy gels and foods prior to the Marathon as well as water intake. Just like in the Army train with what you will fight with. Marathon day is no time to experiment. Nothing like bonking in front of 50,000 to 1,000,000 screaming fans.

Like I said above if you want more info or help shoot me a PM

Happy Suffering!!
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Post by Lost_Jock »

Charlie 51 wrote:Also you need to experiment with energy gels and foods prior to the Marathon as well as water intake. Just like in the Army train with what you will fight with. Marathon day is no time to experiment. Nothing like bonking in front of 50,000 to 1,000,000 screaming fans.
If bonking means the same in the States as it does in the UK, I'd be pretty damn impressed if he managed to do it while running a Marathon, never mind in front of 50,000 people.

Having sex while running has got to be difficult........ I suppose you've got to run in step so it doesn't fall out?

I wonder how much practice it would take? I may have to take the wife for a jog in the woods.

L_J
And when I had opened the fourth beer, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and her that sat on him was the wife, and Hell followed with her......
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Lost_Jock wrote:
Charlie 51 wrote:Also you need to experiment with energy gels and foods prior to the Marathon as well as water intake. Just like in the Army train with what you will fight with. Marathon day is no time to experiment. Nothing like bonking in front of 50,000 to 1,000,000 screaming fans.
If bonking means the same in the States as it does in the UK, I'd be pretty damn impressed if he managed to do it while running a Marathon, never mind in front of 50,000 people.

Having sex while running has got to be difficult........ I suppose you've got to run in step so it doesn't fall out?

I wonder how much practice it would take? I may have to take the wife for a jog in the woods.

L_J

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not exactly the same thing he was talking about. :lol: :lol: :lol: What he was refering to is a sudden and complete loss of energy. Sometimes also known as 'hitting the wall'.

Ranger Cams has tried to have sex while running, but he was never able to catch her.... :lol:
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Lost_Jock wrote:

L_J
Have not tried that one yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

A marathon is 2 races. A 20 miler and the last 6.2. My wall always seems to hit at mile 22. Since I know that, I can plan for it.

Why not run the CMM in Nashville? We just ran it on Saturday. That'll give you a whole year to train. Plus, its local.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “The Mosh Pit”