Branch Transition

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
chukklehed
Tadpole

Branch Transition

Post by chukklehed »

Is it possible for someone to have been an enlisted man in one branch and then go officer in another. For example, could someone enlist for 4 years with the rangers and then becom a Naval Aviator. Or, could someone be an enlisted Marine and then decide to become an officer in the Army, etc. I ask only out of curiosity. I know its difficult for someone from one branch to enlist into another or enlist in the same with a different job, but I didn't know if it worked that way in becoming an officer. Thanks for any input.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

it's very possible. i have served with a few people who have done it.

a lot of the WO's come from different services to fly for the Army. none of the other service have the WOFT program.

i also served with an LT in the 82d who was a Recon Marine E-6 before going to Army OCS.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

My Grandfather was an Officer in the Army in WWI and an Officer in the Navy in WWII. It can be done.

Also on this board is an individual that was a Ranger and is now a Warrant Officer flying helo's.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
chukklehed
Tadpole

Post by chukklehed »

Thanks for the help SFC hit_it and Ranger Steadfast. SFC hit_it, do you know if it is tricky somehow and waivers etc. are involved. Or is it pretty simple, just like joining as an officer any other way. Thanks again.

Doing pushups for the services 1...2...3...
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

the application process is not varied for those guys. they just have to do it on their own and submit their packets by mail.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

sobersides wrote:For the most part officer branches are assigned, not selected. If you get commissioned as an Officer, you don't sign a contract for a specific MOS, you are commissioned (appointed) into an official position (office) in the US Army. Your branch is controlled and assigned at the needs of the Army, and doesn't have to have anything to do with your former MOS or your formal education. That doesn't mean you have no say in it - you get to state your preferences and based on your qualifications and the strength of your file you may or may not get them.

Of course, there are always exceptions. Warrant Officers are technical experts and are assigned to their areas of expertise. Doctors, Lawyers, and Chaplains are also considered to be experts and typically come in with a professional commission.
Yes, that is what my Grandfather did sobersides. He was a Doctor which made it easy for him to switch from one service to another. In addition to his military service he worked for one of the luxury liners. After WWII, he made 52 crossings of the Atlantic Ocean as a Ship Surgeon aboard the Ocean Liners he was aboard.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Recruitment Process”