New Ranger hopeful

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Tirehouse
Ranger

Post by Tirehouse »

Welcome...
TFR Somalia
Kosovo KFOR3A, Iraq 2003-4 OIF 1, 08-10
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Welcome
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
RGR Pete
Ranger

Post by RGR Pete »

I hope you play some kind of HS sports(not the debate team) If you want it you will make it. You still have a year to go, Hell You could be a PT Legend in a year. PS- I havent weighed 165 since 8th grade but after RS I was close till I went back to "THE HOUSE OF PAIN".
USMC-87 to 91
Bco 1/75 94-97
prunus_cerasus
Embryo

Thanks

Post by prunus_cerasus »

Thank you all Rangers and veterans for your advice. I'm keeping up with my PT and managed to do 66 pushups yesterday. I haven't tested my situps, pullups, or 2 mile run yet. I'll update with my stats on the 15th. I've started eating a little more food and I've started taking a multivitamin again. Ranger RGR Pete I don't play any sports right now, although I'm considering trying out for V football as a cornerback or defensive tight end during senior year. Ranger PaperStreet 2/75 no that wasn't a typo. My birthday is 12/26/1988, so it falls about 1/3 of the way through the school year. I also took a couple of those online color vision tests and passed them (I got paranoid after reading about someone from here who was DQ'd because he failed, I can't remember offhand who it was). The thought of my being DQ'd for service is terrifying but I'm pretty confident I should be ok. Since I've already exceeded my pushup goal, my new goal for Feb 15th is 71 pushups.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Re: Thanks

Post by JarHedSolja »

prunus_cerasus wrote:I also took a couple of those online color vision tests and passed them (I got paranoid after reading about someone from here who was DQ'd because he failed
Dont worry about the color tests. I failed mine the first time and they gave me a second test (Falant I believe) which I passed.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Welcome Phil!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

prunus_cerasus wrote:, I read the physical requirements and was blown away, I decided I could never be a Ranger, but I wanted to be one anyways. After some working out and getting in shape just for the sake of getting in shape, I've realized it's not so impossible anymore and I'm working towards it everyday.

Obviously it won't be easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is. You have time to get into shape and prepare yourself. However, don't lose sight of the 25 meter target -- keep up with your school work. Remember, the search button is your friend.
Last edited by Jim on October 4th, 2006, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Paladin
BANNED

Post by Paladin »

Welcome
Do not let ANYONE shortchange you on the goals that you set for yourself. If someone stands in your way go around or through them to reach your goals. You are on your way to a better life!
Hooah!
Paladin 1952
Black 6's houshold 6
Tadpole

Post by Black 6's houshold 6 »

Welcome
non government issued dependent.

Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Good luck kid.
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
prunus_cerasus
Embryo

First obstacle out of the way!

Post by prunus_cerasus »

Option 40 obtained, currently updating my avatar. Thank you a great deal for the information given to me, especially Marine JarHedSolja because I did in fact fail the Ishihara Plate Test (for color vision) and was given the Falant. Since you mentioned it I had time to look it up beforehand and learn what it was and was much more comfortable than I would have been (I kind of detached from myself I was so stressed and nervous and just nailed it because I already knew it how it worked, knowing missing 1 answer could mean the difference between getting a shot at a life goal you've had since 7th grade or not is freaking nerve-racking!)

I was given a picket-fence profile even though I needed glasses, my vision is correctable to 20/15 with a fresh prescription on them but is 20/200 without them, I thought I would be getting a 2 in the E category of PULHES, pleasant surprise that I didn't.

My ASVAB scores were also pretty good, they're listed below.

GT-124 GM-123 EL-123 CL:124 MM-120 SC-124 CO-122 FA-122 OF-122 ST-123

AFQT score of 90, I don't know what this means but I figured it must be some kind of overrall score.

Now, after being declared colorblind (I honestly don't know if they have me down as colorblind or color deficient, it just said FAIL under the normal color vision test), sitting through the worst 45 seconds of my life taking the Falant knowing I could get DQ'd for missing one, and having to move my glasses all over my face because they're too small to cover my entire field of vision, which they check with that vision machine... I have to deal with my liberal lawyer pro-military but anti-war and anti-what-the-military-has-to-do-in-Iraq grandfather looking for any way to convince the MEPS station I lied to get me permanently DQ'd, and I think he may just have the balls to do it. It's been quite the little adventure so far but I'm so game it's not even funny.

Anyways, on to focusing on all that's within my total control, giving myself the ability to prove I'll be an assett to the Rangers while I'm at RIP and not a burden. Back to lurking...

PS: I looked at the FAQs and couldn't find anything about making a new post after your civilian introduction to state you got your Option40 so I just put it in here.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

PaperStreet 2/75 wrote:This post is refreshing for a couple of reasons.

3. I'm a short little fuck myself...doesn't mean anything

I went into the Army at 5'6", 127lbs, and come out at 5'10" 180 lbs.

OK, that last part was BS, I came out at about 160-165, but you get the idea. I gained 15 lbs in OSUT/BAC/RIP and another 5 in Bat before Rgr school. Into school at 147, out of Bat at 147-152, and out of the Army at 160-165...all muscle.

Currently at 158-160, but not nearly as strong as I used to be.

Case in point: PUT ON FUCKING WEIGHT WHEN YOU CAN!
Gads! I was just the opposite. I went into Basic at 215 pounds (all muscle, as I had just won the Body Building competition for the State of Utah), and came out around 165 pounds. I went in around 5'8", came out of BASIC/AIT around 5'11"..

At any rate, as most of the other respondents have indicated, its heart and attitude that will get you through at the end-of-the-day.

Don't screw up like I did.. I had many opportunities coming out of high school that on hind sight were great opportunities, but were passed-up because I was too afraid. Ah... to go back in time would be a wonderful thing. Go with your dreams now, while you still can.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Don't worry about the height. some of the baddest motherfuckers I know from Batt. are 5'6" or around that.

You have plenty of time to improve your PT and ASVAB scores. As Ranger Pete said, if you don't play sports, start now. In Battalion you will be in the condition of a professional athelete by the time you get there.

Just keeep your nose clean and remember that the only obstacles you have are those you make for yourself.

Welcome & Good luck!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Introduction Archive”