Heat Cramps/Exhaustion/Stroke

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Great topic, Doc. 8)

Deppers listen to the man.

When I was in Batt., on hot days, I would wet my pinky finger and dip it into my salt packet. That was to help with the excessive salt loss that we experienced on Benning.

If you know you have a long movement or march, etc., drink the night before until you piss super clear. Even if you have to get up in the middle of the night a couple of times, it is better than the possible alternative.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rbarrows
Embryo

Post by rbarrows »

Good post, thank you.
" Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind." Leonardo Da Vinci
I will NEVER quit!
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

DEP's this shit will kill you or your buddy quicker than shit.When you think you've had enough water,drink more because eventually you are going to run low.

It aint a pretty sight to see someone go down with any of these conditions.A buddy of mine nearly died in Pre-Ranger.He took 11 bags from an IV before he could piss and spent a month on profile because he was that close to death.

And it doesnt just apply to summer time either,winter can be just as dangerous .
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

poor thought processes
Not a good thing to have when the shit hits the fan.

If all of that doesnt motivate someone to drink,maybe you should tell them where you start looking for good veins when the normal ones you use cant be found because of dehydration Doc.

I always loved threatening someone with a "tactical" nightime IV... :twisted:

"Drink Water"
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That's great - for soldiering and all - is it necessary/recommended to pre-hydrate for the moshpit as well?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Doc wrote:Ranger Spartan,

I would recommend prehydration for the mosh pit even moreso than for hooah stuff. The reason, drugs like X tend to severely dehydrate you and can cause a condition called malignant hyperthermia. Just a thought, before you get your X on-drink lots of Guinness! :lol:

Check Six,
Doc
Uh, yes, thanks Doc. And what about Woobie? He's coming from a relatively low altitude up to 4500 feet? Should he pre-hydrate with more Guiness than those who are already acclimated?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Doc wrote:Woobies tend to lose what's left of their normally low inhibitions. :wink:
Is that an 'upside' or a potential 'downside'?

I don't have experience dealing with Woobies. Can anyone offer any advice on the subject?
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Homos...... :roll:
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Pete got two "confusers" up there, or did you drag yours along?

I never see the "tubbies" on t.v. drink. Keep an eye out for symptoms, Pete. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

RGR Luna wrote:Pete got two "confusers" up there, or did you drag yours along?

I never see the "tubbies" on t.v. drink. Keep an eye out for symptoms, Pete. :wink:
We'll see who's more of a "tubby" in Vegas, luna! :wink:

yep, Pete's got a pretty cool setup up, and at least two confusers...

Return to “Medical Issues”