DEPS AND NEWTS POST!!!!!!!!!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Lawschoolgeek, you're the one who said he was at Hofstra?

Where on LI are you?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Geek
Ranger

Post by Geek »

SFC Hit It:

Yes, a Hofstra alumnus now. 8)

I lived in Bellmore while going to school (originally from Spokane, WA). However, today is moving day since I am all done with the bar exam. I'll be heading up-state for a few weeks and then up to Maine to stay with family until I ship in September. So I guess I aint a Long Islander anymore. :wink:
Last edited by Geek on July 29th, 2005, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
C 2/75 APR '06 - FEB '10
OIF '06, '08, '09
OEF '07
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

lawschoolgeek wrote:SFC Hit It:

Yeah, a Hofstra alumnus now 8)

I lived in Bellmore while going to school (originally from Spokane, WA). However, today is moving day since I am all done with the bar exam. I'll be heading up-state for a few weeks and then up to Maine to stay with family until I ship in September. So I guess I aint a Long Islander anymore. :wink:
Never say "YEAH" to an E-7 or any NCO for that matter. Thank you.
It's all good.
Geek
Ranger

Post by Geek »

SkyShark wrote:
lawschoolgeek wrote:SFC Hit It:

Yeah, a Hofstra alumnus now 8)

Never say "YEAH" to an E-7 or any NCO for that matter. Thank you.
Amended.
C 2/75 APR '06 - FEB '10
OIF '06, '08, '09
OEF '07
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I lived in Bellmore while going to school
Imagine that....

I'm in Bellmore myself. :wink:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Saxon 32
Embryo

Re: DEPS AND NEWTS POST!!!!!!!!!

Post by Saxon 32 »

hit_it wrote:Here's what I want: ArmyRanger.com command climate survery.
2)ALL: How many of you are truly shaken when you take an ass chewing on this site? How do you feel about your commitment to the Army after recieving such as ASS RIPPING here? stronger? weaker? Do you honestly do the exercises you have been told to do? Do you learn here
2. I don't post much here I just read the threads so I haven't yet received an ass chewing yet. But I would not really be shaken by one if I did since I would have brought it on myself I'm sure. It doesn't really change the way I feel about my commitment to the Army after receiving an ass chewing. I still really want to join once I am done with high school and possibly college. (I haven't made up my mind yet about joining right out of high school or doing college first) Yes if I was told to do an excersise I would do all of what I was told to do. And yes I do learn here. I have learned alot about the Rangers and about the training it takes to become one from reading the threads on this website.
hit_it wrote:3)NEWTS: How strong is your commitment to talk to a recruiter after your involvement on this site?
Very strong. This site has helped me realize that joining the Army is what I want to do later in my life. It has motivated me to do more research on my own also in the form of books and internet research to learn more and more about the Rangers and other SOF units in the military.(Mainly Rangers of course :lol: )
hit_it wrote:4)ALL: Do you feel that ArmyRanger.com is an accurate portrail of every day military life? Why or why not?
I think that it is a pretty accurate portrail of military life. Especially because of the mandatory addressing of a Ranger as Ranger then his username. Just like in the military were you have to use ranks and things like that. Also you have to stay in line or you will get smoked just like in military life.
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

SFC Hit_it:

2)ALL: How many of you are truly shaken when you take an ass chewing on this site? How do you feel about your commitment to the Army after recieving such as ASS RIPPING here? stronger? weaker? Do you honestly do the exercises you have been told to do? Do you learn here

My first ass chewing didn't really shake me up as much as it caught me off guard and made me feel like a fool (rightly so). I haven't commited to the Army yet so I can't say much there. After reading alot of the threads I feel more commited to becoming a better young man, and go into work feeling like I have one up on the guys around me. I've completed the assignment i've received so far.

3)NEWTS: How strong is your commitment to talk to a recruiter after your involvement on this site?

I learn from this site, gain interest and motivation from it but it doesn't really effect my plans as far as enlistment goes.

4)ALL: Do you feel that ArmyRanger.com is an accurate portrail of every day military life? Why or why not?

I've never had much exposure to military life so I can't compare.
Ranger Bell wrote:You fellas are men, or soon to be. Act like it. Ya want something, get it. She's cute? Take her. hahahahahhaa
Andy
Embryo

Post by Andy »

1) University of Arizona ROTC

2)I have yet to receive a proper ASS CHEWING, even though I have been here for close to 2 years. I quickly learned to shut my mouth and open my eyes, and that seemed to keep the smoke off of me. Reading the other Ass Chewings though, it has only made my commitment to the Army stronger. I have learned that not jsut anyone can be a Ranger, and it is better to weed out the fucksticks on the internet rather then in RIP. Pretty much everything I know about Opt 40's, RIP, Bat, everything, I have learned from readin posts on this site.

3)MY commitment to talk to a recruiter was very strong after first joining this site, but my folks had other ideas for me. I actually did creat a nice relationship with my local recruiter, and he actually helped me get my ROTC packet going.

4)I do not belive that this site is an actual portrayal of military life, because if this site was the military, 3/4 of the NEWTS and DEPS would already be dead and gone. There are only a few members who actually fully follows orders the first time, show respect for superior ranks and military members, or who sets good examples.

Andy
steelhead
Embryo

Post by steelhead »

SFC hit_it:

1. I was recruited from northwest Colorado, processed at the Denver MEPS, and will ship out of Springfield, Massachusetts.

2. This website has been a great resource for me. I have learned a tremendous amount about what it means to be a Ranger. Most importantly, I've been given some insight into how to mentally and physically prepare for OSUT, RIP, life in the 75th, and Ranger School. I felt well informed by the time I spoke with a recruiter.

I have not received an ass ripping... yet.

I would honestly do the exercises I was told to do.

4. I don't know if ArmyRanger.com is an accurate portrayal of military life, but it is as close as I can get to speaking with Rangers in person.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

4. ArmyRanger.com certainly isn't an accurate potrayal of military life where I'm stationed! The only person who we call 'Sir' is a brigadier general.

Everybody else is a first name basis from E-1 to O-6 :lol:
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Must be an Air Force station. That's weak.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Mason
Soldier

Post by Mason »

1. Recruited : Birmingham, Alabama
MEPS : Montgomery, Alabama

2. I do not mind the ass chewings on this site, they are usually more of a call to detail and direction following, two highly important things when it involves peoples lives. I also agree with the Ass Chewings , because it is a reality check. For those of us that havent been there and done that, it keeps the ego level, and focused on the drive/objective to achieve. Mainly if a person cant take a ass ripping on a computer message board, what type of guts would that person have when the shit really hits the fan in real life..
Do I do the exercises? Yes, I dont mind doing them and if I have ever been told to do them, then I earned them somehow. Also exercise makes the body and mind stronger, you have got to do it to lead a healthy life

3. I feel my commitment is strong. I am in contact with my recruiter 4-5 times a week. I go to MEPS on 10 Aug. I enjoy my talks with my recruiter. He doesnt bullshit me and isnt afraid to tell me the negative. The easiest way for me to say it is that I dont see him as a used car salesman but as someone who is actually helping me.

4. ArmyRanger.com is a wonderful site. Its has a library of knowledge in past posts that is easy to search or pleanty of well qualified, Rangers and Vets to answer anything that hasnt been covered. Do I feel that it is a accurate portrail of everyday military life? No and far from it. Do I feel that it is a accurate portrail of United States Army Rangers? Yes and I also feel it represents motivated individuals in a good light. I personally know active military soldiers that I think are pieces of shit, always trying to scam out of things. But after reading this board for over a year, there is not one Ranger or Vet here that I dont have respect for. You can just sense the unity reguardless of race, creed or color. Everybody acts as one single unit accomplishing a goal.. and that is just awesome. So do I think it is a accurate portrail of military life? I think its better
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Hit It, Brother this is one fantastic thread and without doubt was one of your best idea's to date. Great job!

DEP's, it is very seldom that I come out and lavish praise upon you as I feel to say good shit all the time, to "blow smoke" is just that, "blowing smoke" and if done all the time, you won't know that you've gone out of your way to do something that's above the norm. In this case however, you've stepped up and despite an assclown who thought he was somehow above the rules, you've shown not just those here but others passing through that you're insightful, that you're taking the time to research topics on your own, that you're listening to the instructions given to you and that you are using some of the resources made available to you to assist you in your transistion from civilian into military life.

I would note this however. There is no reason what so ever for those who have said "No one told me to..." If no one told you to excersice, train, whatever specifically, that to me is absolutely no excuse. Make yourself available. Seek a mentor if you'd like to be mentored. Work together as a TEAM of DEP's. Whatever you all need to do. If you see an area that needs to be worked on, work on it. Never offer an excuse and certainly never, ever say "No one told me to...", as that is without doubt one of the weakest excuses that one can put forth. It shows a lack of initiative and you all have some initiative as you want to be soldiers, TACP's and RANGERS for fuck's sake. There is no more initiative then wanting to be the best...

I would offer this. I encourage those I mentor to work with the other DEP's to achieve a good workout plan. Now that's not to say that I don't look it over and that I don't get weekly progress reports to make sure that there is CONSTANT improvement and that they are consistantly adding a bit more to there baseline so that they can improve themselves without injury... But the point here is I encourage a TEAM effort as I want those I train to have that ability to work indepently and as part of a team. Further, I have them monitor the assignments given out on the DEP board and complete those along with the one's specifically geared toward the TACP careerfield that I provide. Again, I push them to know more and more.

I spoke with one of the kid's I mentored the other day on the telephone and his opinion was that this site helped him tremendously. He was in better shape, he was better prepared to handle the demands of training mentaly and phyiscally and certainly if you all followed the pathway that we lay out for you, there is no reason what so ever you should not be able to as well. We have a success rate that is simply amazing and even moreso when you consider that it's all online. So, when you take that "online" asseating, when your sitting in front of that book, when you are pushing YOURSELF harder than you ever thought you could and as you build a team concept on here that assists you in improving your skills... YOU ARE BECOMING SLOWLY BUT SURELY BETTER PREPARED. I would challenged you all to start burning up your PM boxes in developing some Team concepts that are apparently far improved and I'd like to hear what you come up with by PM, so that "No one told me...." is never uttered by any DEP on this site again.

Finally, overall though as I said. Good Job. Keep it up and keep that positive attitude. I will now resume being an asshole.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Bump.

We have some new DEPs who need to respond to this post ASAP.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “The Mosh Pit”