Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Mman wrote:Ranger Spartan,

1.) I'm debating between branches of the military, mainly between Army (Rangers), Marine Corps and Navy (SEALs). I've been doing some research on the academies that support these branches.

2.) Currently, I'm in physical therapy once a week to work on my: wrist (L), elbow (L), back (lower) and knees. Besides those, I'm doing what I can from Stew Smith's Army Ranger workout. The problem is that when I fight through the pain, my progress in the therapy drops. So I'm truly just doing a small bit of the Ranger workout.
Shut the fuck up until you come into puberty.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Too Long
Embryo

Post by Too Long »

Im not a newt however I hope to someday be an officer in batt. I scored an 84 on the asvab and currently do the APFT daily. (2 mile run, 2 min. pushups, 2 min. situps) I try to knock out some extra pushups and some flutterkicks whenever possible. A few of my friends and I start the 5 week workout that the Ranger Training Battalion recommends on 25 April 2005.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

McKenzie wrote:I workout everyday doing various very hard excersises such as the deadlift. I use a lot of weight but low reps
This isn't football practice youngster, you need strength AND ENDURANCE, those heavy weight low set reps will ensure your failure. Comprenday?

In addition I know of at least ONE DEP who hasn't sounded OFF!!! :evil:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

Bugsy wrote:
McKenzie wrote:I workout everyday doing various very hard excersises such as the deadlift. I use a lot of weight but low reps
This isn't football practice youngster, you need strength AND ENDURANCE, those heavy weight low set reps will ensure your failure. Comprenday?

In addition I know of at least ONE DEP who hasn't sounded OFF!!! :evil:
Quote for accuracy. You need to work on strength/power and edurance first before hitting the big weights. Benching 300 wont help you walk 20 miles with 60+ lbs on your back bucko.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
tN4rg
Tadpole

Post by tN4rg »

I took the ASVAB earlier this year and scored an 85, I plan on enlisting in the DEP this summer.

As of now I run 3 days a week, at roughly 2.4 miles a day. This will be done for about 4 more weeks before I increase. I've been slacking on my pushups and situps, admittedly.

Steady as she goes.
jokerr
Tadpole

Post by jokerr »

Havent talked with recruiter yet.
Currently going by Stew Smiths Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness.
Bell

Post by Bell »

XCrunner wrote:I have not yet talked to a recruiter or taken the ASVAB, but I am doing what I can in the meantime to stay in shape. The way I see my future is that I'd like to become a Ranger (parents will be mad). So in the meantime I am doing cross country and distance during track. I plan on starting wrestling soon. In XC/track distance, we run for about 50 minutes then come back and do 50 real pushups and 70 crunches. Is that a good workout in your guys opinion? Thank you Rangers!

P.S. how did you guys break it to your parents that you were enlisting? Thanks!
You're PT is good.

When you turn 18 you don't worry about it. Enlist. Tell em and let em yell. You are becoming an adult and have to make your own decisions in life. Ya gotta cut those apron strings some day. Now's the time.

RLTW
Bell
CheeseDick
Embryo

Post by CheeseDick »

McKenzie
I can say from personal experience that heavy weight training and power lifting will not help you do more pushups, situps, or run faster. I was into powerlifting through highschool and college and when I started training for endurance it was an eye-opener. As a sophomore in college I could bench 350, squat 495, and deadlift 515. When I started to train for the Army I did my own APFT to see where I was at and I could only do 40 pushup's, 55 situp's, and my 2 mile was well over 16 min.. All that said to prove that power is not endurance. I now wish that I would have been a runner. Just thought that might help.
"a thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand but it shall not come near you"
Psalm 91:7
kclemens
Tadpole

Post by kclemens »

Because of my younger age (14), I wasn't sure if this was a program I should be doing. I've heard that it's not good to lift weights and do the more rougher workouts because it could stunt my growth.
Nived I lifted weights ever since 6th grade and I was 13 then, and I am 5'10" and it did not stunt my growth. I am not sure if that is true, but the weight trainer didnt say anything about it.
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear because I am the meanest motherfucker in the whole valley."
-GEN. George S. Patton

Return to “About Army Physical Training”