One week left at SOPC

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Medeski
Paratrooper

One week left at SOPC

Post by Medeski »

I just finished up the third and roughest week of SOPC (Special Operations Preperation and Conditioning) and am looking forward to finishing up the class after this next week.

The last week sucked because we had the pleasure of sleeping out in below freezing temperatures, running until someone quit, a 6 mile ruck-march (run) after 2 straight days of land nav, and possibly some of the shittiest weather I've ever seen for our last iteration of land nav on thursday. I think we had like 5 or 6 cases of hypothermia and a ton of people just plain get sick. Nothing like being on azimuth cold, wet and pissed off, and then seeing that massive draw looming in your path :lol:

This next week is supposed to be pretty easy though, so I'm glad to say I've made it this far. All we have left is the mini-star land navigation exercise (9 hours for 4 points), a PT test, and an obstacle course. Then, we find out if we made all of the standards to move on to selection. My class started with 280 people total. At the end of week 3 we had 107 people left, and not all of them will have made the standards to graduate.

Despite that attrition rate, there are still a whole lot of dumb motherfuckers that are still in the class that I think shouldn't be. For example, three people LOST their rubber ducks out in the NTA during thursday's night iteration. Four people have lost RUCKSACKS while looking for points. I do not even understand how that is remotely possible. The thing NEVER leaves your back, and if it does, you keep it in sight at all times. The cadre told us that they had never seen anything like that in their entire career. Thank God for that. One guy in my platoon was found 15 miles out of the NTA 2 hours after endex on thursday. He set the course record for distance travelled from the training area while land naving. He quit the next day.

It's been a tiring course, but I have enjoyed a lot of the freedoms they gave us (nights sometimes and weekends off) and I've definately learned a ton. It feels really good to actually be getting something accomplished towards my goals in the Army instead of sitting around in that damned harness shed at Airborne school or standing around in formation for hours on end at OSUT. I should be headed to selection in a week or two, assuming I don't fuck up the mini-star. I'll report back here after that 21 day course at Camp Mackall -- I'm hoping for the best.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Keep it up. Sounds like you are doing good.

Ranger2
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Great news! Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job. Keep it up and never look back. You'll be there before you know it. Thanks for the awesome report.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Good SITREP. Drive on Soldier. Yer doing good.

RLTW
Bell
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

It is never easy staying the course in life especially if it is a goal. Thanks for the sitrep, drive on Medeski.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

15 miles away dude was IVW'd. Hes a good guy.. Just sucks at land nav
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Not the old Involuntary Withdrawal! :shock:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Good luck
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Good Luck Bro'
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Gravedigger
Ranger

Post by Gravedigger »

Great sitrep! Just keep Driven On!
RI 4th RTB 85-88 [Darby]
9th ID scouts 82-85
4/9 Manchu 79-81 [Alaska]
RS 6-84 [ Fortune Favors The Bold]
SERE Instructor class 3-83
NWTC
Mentor to:
Deadbolt

RLTW

" The Fun Starts When the Pussies Fall Out"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Keep rollin. sounds like you are trackin.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Medeski
Paratrooper

Post by Medeski »

Woohoo! Found all 4 points on the mini star and made it back an hour before endex. I'm headed to selection tomorrow -- can't wait! When all was said and done I think 80 - 90 people graduated SOPC and most of us will be leaving for SFAS tomorrow. Some broke dicks are going to get profiles and skip out on the class that starts tomorrow, so they can be healthy for the next one. I'll be sure to let you guys know how everything goes when I get a chance.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Medeski wrote:Woohoo! Found all 4 points on the mini star and made it back an hour before endex. I'm headed to selection tomorrow -- can't wait! When all was said and done I think 80 - 90 people graduated SOPC and most of us will be leaving for SFAS tomorrow. Some broke dicks are going to get profiles and skip out on the class that starts tomorrow, so they can be healthy for the next one. I'll be sure to let you guys know how everything goes when I get a chance.
That is absolutely fantastic! You've done well! Keep your powder dry and continue with the same momentum you've had thus far. I'm damned proud of you.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Excellent! Yer doing great. Keep it up.

RLTW
Bell
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

i thought he said one week.

he should be back with a SITREP or AAR in the near future.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Letters from School”