Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

proud dad
Tadpole

Introduction

Post by proud dad »

I would like to introduce myself, but slightly confused as to which forum to use as I am not a Ranger nor Veteran but neither am a DEPer nor wannabee. I guess I could be termed a "neverwas"?
However I take pride in being a citizen and realize the debt which I owe for all the sacrifices of those who have served this country in a military uniform. I have lost a brother who was KIA in 1967 in the former Repulic of Vietnam while serving in 4th batt. 503rd Inf. 173rd Airborne Brigade. I now have a son who is serving with the 3rd Batt. 75th Ranger Regmt. for over a year now. I have enjoyed reading the thoughts and comments of the Rangers on this site and would like to become a member so hence my intro.
rbarger
Ranger

Post by rbarger »

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask any questions that we may be able to answer. You can PM any of the Rangers if you have questions that may not be appropriate for the open forum.
B. Co. 3/75 88-92
RIP Det. 75th Regt. 92-93
C. Co. 3/75 93-95
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Welcome aboard proud Ranger Dad. Glad to have a parent as a participant and it is right that you put your entry spot here. The DEP entrants are mainly put in the other spot so as not to clog up this area and the DEPpers all need to get to know each other anyways, since they are going to end up serving together, in some cases.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome Dad. I communicate regularly with some of the parents of other Ranger hopefuls. I think you're the only parent I know right now of a current Ranger. Congratulations on his success. Bring your son aboard, I wanna hear some of those "no shit" stories.

RLTW
Bell
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Welcome, Proud Dad. We are honored to have you aboard.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Proud Dad-

Welcome aboard! We are all proud of your son, as you are, and thank you for the sacrifices which your family has made for this great country.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I was worried that I might be flamed for taking up space or something, but seriously thanks for the replies, it did me good.
I have a few good stories I can share on the site about my son and a couple of his Ranger buddies when they visited me during a block leave after a deployment. I have alot of stories I don't know if I can share due to opsec. But first I do have a question I would like to ask. My son enlisted with a three year contract as 11b, graduated OSUT, went thru BAC and RIP then attached to 3rd Batt. While in Batt. he has been depolyed on real world training exercises quite often and now has less than a year on his contract. I have heard that you must have a min. of a year on your contract to attend the Ranger School. I also have heard that the Ranger Batt. does not promote beyond a PFC until gradutating Ranger School. So if this is true will he spend his entire three years as a pfc and not have the chance to earn the tab without a re-enlistment?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not seeing Ranger School is a risk taken when you have a short enlistment such as 3 years. It would surprise me to learn that he'd never see SPC though. It would not surprise me if he did not see Ranger School due to the short enlistment, combined with the real world stuff he's needed to take care of.
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

When my son enlisted on the three year contract I never thought about him not having a chance to attend the school but all that changed after 9-11. Athough I am only speaking for myself and I have not even discussed this subject with him I am thinking he will re-enlist for the chance at getting tabbed out as this is what he has wanted to do his entire life. Whatever decision he makes I will glady support him. As a parent I worry about him and would like to see him get out and come home, he has done enough. But at the same time I cannot express the great pride and respect I have for him and how knowing what he been through and done has changed my life. I now go an extra step on my job, if something needs done I do it. I don't find a reason not to do it or ask someone else. I just do it and not say anything about it. If I see someone needing help I will not have to be asked, I just help. I am thankfull of all the things I have; a house, bed, TV, CD player, DVD player, stereo, computer, car, truck, hell I even have a coffee pot that comes on by itself in the morning. Each of you Rangers on this site have traded all this for loneliness, being away for long periods of time from loved ones, missing family on holidays. Constant danger and death from enemy fire or training exercises, you have endured more hardships than most can even imagine. And all for little pay, money is not an issue with you. It is something most people don't seem to get, a idea that is bigger and more noble than ones self. To serve our country as a warrior and protect the freedoms we all enjoy. You are truly among the best America has to offer.
I wish everyone could be the parent of a Ranger as the U.S. would be a better place because of it.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Proud Dad, thank you for your kind words. It's a truly great thing when a civilian 'gets it'; even though your son put himself in harm's way for all of us to enjoy it. Not a single day goes by that I don't stop, bow my head, and have a moment of silence for those who serve selflessly.
Your son has made this world a better place; and that has made him a better person. No matter when he does decide to get out, rest assured he will carry the high standards he has learned in Ranger BN with him forever.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Stop it Ranger Salt, you're making me all misty.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Proud Dad-

You have also earned many kudos. I believe that your son is the kind of man he is because of the way you raised him. I am currently employed in the public education sector and have seen all kinds of parents. All too often, I see parents who don't instill morals, ethics, or the desire to succeed in their offspring.

Many young people today live to play computer games, live to belong to a gang, or live to get high. On the rare occasion when I meet a kid who dreams of becoming a Ranger, it makes me remember that there are still good people out there, raising good kids.

It is true that men like your son are ensuring the many freedoms which we enjoy each day in this country and for that, I am thankful. It is also true, however, that your son does this because you taught him how to love his country and instilled the warrior spirit into his being.

You've done well in raising your son. I know you are proud of him. I thank you for your family's contributions to this place we all call home.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Rick
Egg

i Love the Rangers

Post by Rick »

I'm 49 years old, and obviously am no longer Ranger material. I never understood who the Rangers were until the movie "Blackhawk Down". I watched the movie 12 times at the theater, and have seen it 30+ times on DVD. I followed closely the events in Operation Anaconda. I wish I had understood the Rangers when I was younger, for I definitely would have gone for the tab. I am profoundly proud of the Rangers bravery and conduct in all operations that they have played a part. I love all you guys and must express my immense gratitude for your courage and bravery. You truly lead the way, toward keeping the U.S.A. free.
Rangers Lead the Way!!
Bell

Post by Bell »

Aaaah, shucks Rick. Thanks :oops:

Just another job.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Introduction Archive”