Introduction - Tristan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

trizca
Embryo

Introduction - Tristan

Post by trizca » September 25th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Hello all-
It's always been a life long dream/goal to earn a Ranger Tab. I'm 33 years old this December, and closing in on my last chance to join the Army and pursue one of my biggest goals. I found this forum a couple months ago and it's been a great help with getting some info I need. The ONLY thing that is making me hesitant in joining is my son. He turned 12 years old this year and is turning into a strong and smart young man. His mother and I are separated but have a great relationship co-parenting our child.

I found several posts of Rangers joining with younger children. Are there any Rangers here that joined while their child was going into teens? My biggest fear is that he grows up without my guidance. Especially during the teens phase, since it was really rough for me.

Am I over thinking this? We're in an technological era where we can skype/face time easily (as long as there's service). I'm not too concerned with the months spent in Basic or Ranger School because those are more short term and I feel I can communicate with him a little easier, but mainly concerned with the 15 month deployment time frames.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

Also- thank you all for your service!

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Tristan

Post by Disinfertention » September 27th, 2019, 10:42 am

Hey Tristan,

Welcome to the site. Have you already had interactions with a recruiter? I would start the process if you have not already to make sure you still qualify!

Maybe someone with specific experience in that can come give some thoughts. Mine are not old enough yet to apply but even younger children can be challenging to parent from a distance and being gone a lot or months at a time. Not to be cliche, but it is a sacrifice and you get the unique opportunity to choose to do it with children instead of choosing to have children while doing it.

If serving in the military is a goal of yours then proving that to yourself and your child can be rewarding..eventually (I would hope). No one is going to be able to make this decision for you. You are not over-thinking it. And yes, technology has kept the distance feel shorter but it does not make any of it easier.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

trizca
Embryo

Post by trizca » September 27th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Thank you for the great response. I did briefly speak to a recruiter earlier this week to ask him about the age requirement. He mentioned that I should be OK as long as I'm in basic before I turn 34 (a year and a couple months from now)- that was my main concern. I know there's issues with being a single parent and custody- which I'm OK with since his mom and I have a good relationship. I plan on meeting with the recruiter on Tuesday to get more information and see what the next steps would be.

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV » September 28th, 2019, 3:27 am

Welcome to the site, Tristan.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad » September 28th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Welcome here Tristan, this place can be a great resource for you. In your intro you said you said your lifetime goal is to earn a Ranger Tab..just curious if you want to go to Ranger School or serve in the Ranger Regiment and go to Ranger School. Either way, good luck to you.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

trizca
Embryo

Post by trizca » September 30th, 2019, 8:23 am

Thank you CharlieRanger1FFV.

IntelToad, Good question- The path I ultimately would like to take would be RASP to Ranger School and spend some time serving in the regiment. Eventually I'd like to work my way into SF.

Thanks!

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » September 30th, 2019, 3:46 pm

trizca wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 8:23 am
Thank you CharlieRanger1FFV.

IntelToad, Good question- The path I ultimately would like to take would be RASP to Ranger School and spend some time serving in the regiment. Eventually I'd like to work my way into SF.

Thanks!
Those are lofty goals. Make sure you understand the difference between an OPT 40 contract and an 18X contract as your recruiter will most definitely push you into whichever is easier to obtain... which anecdotally is a 18X from what I hear.

Do you know what MOS your are interested in already? I will say this early and often... Pick your career and make the Army amend to you. Never do it the other way. Once you sign, you are in and it is to your detriment (sometimes at least) to seek a new MOS other than 18 series.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

trizca
Embryo

Post by trizca » September 30th, 2019, 5:20 pm

MOS was one of the things I wanted to discuss as well. I saw that 25D (cyber network defender) was an available MOS for Ranger and that it was more in demand. But I'm not sure if I'm reading the information right. I'm good with computers and thought that would be a good fit. I learned that if I were to move in sf I would have to reclassify with one of the 18x MOS.

Thank you for the advice. I'm seeing the recruiter tomorrow afternoon

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad » October 1st, 2019, 3:46 pm

25D is a shortage MOS for the Army at large, and I'm guessing even shorter for the Regiment.

How did your recruiter visit go ?

Remember, you are holding all the cards at this point and the recruiter has zero leverage over you. Hold fast on what you want and walk out if you don't get it. Once you push back, you'll be surprised how fast you get what you want.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

trizca
Embryo

Post by trizca » October 2nd, 2019, 8:25 am

Good morning. It went OK- he just went over a bunch of basic information, some of it I already knew. He asked me to take a practice ASVAB test, but since I was on my lunch break from work I didn't have time. I'm planing on heading down there today to take the ASVAB. You guys were right with the MOS- the first thing he asked me was if I was set on that MOS and would consider other ones. I let him know that I was set on 25D, but would at least check out other MOS's to see if I would be interested- which some of them kinda do interest me, but I need to do more research on them. He said after taking the ASVAB we would have a better idea of where I land and which MOS I would qualify for.

trizca
Embryo

Post by trizca » October 5th, 2019, 10:10 am

Just an Update- I took the practice ASVAB a few days ago and altho he didn't tell me a score he said I did really well and would likely be able to pick up most MOS. Bad news- 25D is not available! 25D requires at least 4 years in the Army already and be at a certain rank (I think Master Sergeant), so I would be able to reenlist or reclassify after Iv'e gained the required experience. I spent some time checking out Other MOS and 35L and 35Q and piqued my interest, leaning more towards 35L- Both appear to be in shortage. Another issue is that I used to wear plugs in my ears so there's gaping holes in my lobes, so I'll need to sew them shut, which is not too much of a big deal- couple hundred bucks at a tattoo shop or a lil more at urgent care. Also, I spoke to a different recruiter this time ( the original one I spoke to; the first time I went to the recruiters office he wasn't there- he was there this time ) and he kept telling me that I could get option 40 during basic or during AIT and that I didn't need to get it on my contract- I think this is exactly what you guys are warning about too.

Remember- my main reason for hesitation was my son. The past few weeks I've been really thinking about that heavily. And I think the biggest reason why I was hesitant was because my childhood was kind of rough. But I've started coming to the realization that his childhood is much different. He didn't grow up with an abusive alcoholic dad and a mom that worked nights that he didn't get to see. I'm confident I've set him up with key principles to follow for life, and I feel that no matter what happens to me (or his mother) he'll be just fine. Some things I've instilled in him (which are things I've picked up along the years for myself) is: the person that should be most proud of him and should love him the most is himself; problem solving is important and instead of asking for the answer, find it yourself as there's plenty of resources- but don't feel like you can't ask anybody for help; If you see another human being that needs help, you should feel obliged to help; He knows taking care of his body and eating healthy is important and we have built quite a healthy lifestyle/program which I'm confident he'll continue to follow and evolve. We had a conversation about all this last night and we both feel really good about the entire situation now. :)

I'm going to take my time with this since I have a small amount to spare anyway, get my PT scores up (about 200 right now for APFT- I'm going to evaluate a ACFT score soon too and I'll post it here when I get that done), research the MOS that I want, and make my decision. Thank you guys for your experienced input and support- it's definitely appreciated!

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » October 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Tristan,

The requirements for 25D are: SSG (E-6), MOS immaterial, with at least four years of experience in IA and IT. This experience must be verified by the personnel development officer.

So you'd need to pick a job that has some kind of IA/IT experience in order to qualify for the MOS later.

The 75th Recruiting teams have done a great job getting out to different places and letting people volunteer. More people over the last several years have been able to volunteer during basic/AIT and get their chance but not everyone. Some were still restricted or told they couldn't do it based on who knows what. The best way to make sure you get your shot is to have it in your contract. And as Ranger Inteltoad pointed out, right now you are on your timeline and you get to call the shots. Once you are in you are at the mercy of your leadership for the vast majority of things.

I'm glad you are able to get feedback from your son. It sounds like you are all in a good spot I would just continue to assess it as it becomes more real. What are you doing to improve yourself for the APFT and ACFT?
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

trizca
Embryo

Post by trizca » October 10th, 2019, 10:40 am

I have some IA and IT experience, but it's as a civilian, and I dont think that will count. It sounds like 35Q would be the way to go in this case. There's a couple other MOS' i'm interested in too, i'll take my time and feel them out. I'm really starting to learn towards 35L now tho. One thing I've wanted to do is make sure I go out into the field and I feel 35L will give me some of that field work. I know the jobs I've been listing are primarily desk jobs and are important to the team, but one of the reasons why I want to move into this is because I've been having desk jobs for several years now and would like to change that up. BUT I also want to contribute as much quality work as possible so the entire team can benefit and if that means working on a computer then so be it.

I have put a little time into thinking what I would do after, altho that's a long ways away, and law enforcement is definitely on that list, and 35L would be beneficial for that route.

My sons mom and I have developed a great relationship, and we're still technically married altho we've been separated for several years (Both the recruiter and I agreed to keep everything as is when it comes to the relationship status since it'll make it easier for enlistment). I've mentioned my intentions about joining the military but we haven't had a solid conversation yet. Lately we've been discussing it more and more, and soon we'll sit down and have a real conversation about everything about my goals. Asking her to take my son full time is a huge step for her as well, as she's developed a routine around the existing schedule.

I agree with having RASP in my contract and I will not sign anything until I get the contract I desire. This is a huge life long decision and I want to make sure everything is correct before moving forward.

I work out almost every day for 30 minutes up to 1 hour depending on the day and it typically consists of the following
PT Pyramid 123 - pull ups, push ups, sit ups
Dead lifts
Kettle bell swings
Leg tuck on pull up bar (I only recently started doing this- altho I've done similar core workouts using pull up bar)
Uneven/even Farmers walk / jog/run / sprint

Stretching- I can do more stretching :)

Running:
1-2 miles is usually what I've been doing lately
My running could be better. I used to run 5 miles (used to take me about 45-50 mins), and about a month ago, I reduced that to 1 or 2 miles at a faster pace in the hopes to get a better 5 mile time. I haven't time my 5 mile recently, but I've worked my way down to a pretty consistent 7min mile, even when I run 2 miles, so I believe that strategy is working.

7-15 mile hike 1-3 times a month. Always with a backpack. There's 1 of 2 packs I usually take, one is just a camel back that'll have a few liters of water and snacks so not much weight to that one, OR I'll take a full camping pack that can weigh a minimum of 45 pounds. It contains everything to spend the night somewhere and varies on how much extra clothes or food I'm taking. This past weekend I did a 9.14 mile hike with a 2000 foot elevation gain in 3hours 8mins with my small pack

I looove hiking/camping, and this is actually one of the reasons why I feel I would be a great asset to the team. I've spent several days up to a week at a time in different wildernesses, carry huge packs thru snow and rain, spent time in deserts and mountains alike. I have a feeling it's not the same as being a Ranger in Afghanistan for example, but I feel it's at least some experience towards the goal.

I just ordered a weighted vest today and will start 1mile runs with that and work that into my other workouts. I've never used a weighted vest before so I'm super curious as to how that'll work out. I've done weighted pull ups in the past, but not with conventional methods/weights, it's usually with my grabbing something with my legs or with my son on my back lol.

My core is weakest- I've been implementing more situps and planking to get my core stronger.

I play some basketball; typically Wednesdays and Saturdays my son and I will play for 2-3 hours. I mainly do this to work on my footwork and cardio and working with other people at a high pace.

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » October 10th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Good on you for being active. Just know that the best way to improve APFT scores is to do more push ups / sit ups... Also, if you haven't, look into what the ACFT is. By the time you get in it is likely to be in place or real use in OSUT.

Be cautious with remaining married based on what your recruiter is saying. Understand what the military gives and takes from you if you remain married and then decide to actually divorce if that seems to be likely to you. The military is not very friendly and some states are way worse than others when it comes to divorcing. The perks probably do not outweigh the problems it will bring unless you plan to actually stay together.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”