Introduction - Robert

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rob114
Embryo

Introduction - Robert

Post by Rob114 »

Hello, My name is Robert, I'm 22 years of age, and currently finishing up EMT-B School.

I've been involved in the enlistment process since August 2012, and due to living on the East Coast, Brooklyn, NY. I was affected by the recent Hurricane Sandy tremendously (I live right on the water, in a beach area) I had to postpone my enlistment process to continue sometime Mid-November 2012. I have no greater desire than to become a Ranger Medic, and no obstacle is too great for me to achieve my dream, however I realize I need guidance, as no one was born with a know-how. I took the ASVAB some while ago in August, however i know my AFQT was a 90 and my GT was 126 I believe. I will be going to MEPS for the Physical on January 7th, and the rest of MEPS procedures the following Wednesday (i.e Security Interview, Job Counselor, etc.) and hopefully without too much hassle get my 68w w/ option 40 contract. Thank you again Rangers, for having me on this great website.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Robert

Post by Jim »

Welocome, Robert. There are plenty of Ranger Medics on this site. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. we take prode in the fine young men who have passed through here on their life journey, Please self-administer a PT test and post the resuts on this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Robert.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Rob114
Embryo

Post by Rob114 »

Roger Ranger Jim, My self administered PT score is as follows:

2-min Push-ups - 57
2-min Sit-ups - 62
2-mile Run - 17:24

I apologize for the delay in my response, I've been busy dealing with MEPS.

Here's a SitRep: I got Temp DQ'd for High Blood Pressure, never had High BP in my life, but i was nervous as hell, and was probably going through white coat syndrome. Was told to go to my doctor and get some readings twice a day for three consecutive days. Now I'm more nervous than before, hearing horror stories of guys being permanently DQ'd and not qualifying for Airborne due to just nerves.

To answer MachuV, I live in the Gerritsen Beach/Sheapshead Bay Area, and went to Fort Hamilton MEPS, Sir.

In addition, thank you very much for the Welcome Rangers

P.S. Boy do I need to work on that 2-mile run
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, at least you can see what you need to do. The high blood pressure is cause for concern. Seek medical care now! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Rob114
Embryo

Post by Rob114 »

Thank you Ranger Jim and ManchuV, I will head both your words and advice, however I'm not hypertensive, it really was due to nerves and high caffeine before MEPS arrival (I had alot of coffee, I didn't think it affect me that much, guess I was wrong). Also I was pretty stressed. However, I'm no fool, and I'll take this Temp DQ'd as a blessing in disguise to have a flawless diet and exercise regiment, and ensure I'll be above par next time I arrive at MEPS. My recruiter is urging me to go back ASAP, but if I do and haven't got a handle on this, things might go sour, so I'm opting to be safe than sorry.

I do however have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the site, I've used the search button for a couple of days now and am unable to get a definite answer. Since I'm Temp DQ'd do I need a waiver? My understanding is no, but I keep seeing other Temp DQ'd guys needing waivers and I'm not understanding why, if by regulation waivers aren't needed for a Temp DQ. So i was hoping to get some clarifications.

In addition, I can't seem to find this else where either, How long can I wait to go back to MEPS without the time separation between the two become an issue? My recruiter says if i wait more than a week they (MEPS) will throw me to the side and take much longer to process me or some such like that. I was hoping for some advice on this matter as well.

Thank you very much for your time and considerations Rangers. :)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Did your physician prepare a document to take to MEPS? He should have.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Rob114
Embryo

Post by Rob114 »

Ranger Jim, No not yet, but that is a non-issue as whenever I'm ready to go back to MEPS, she can write up the Letter/Document proving I don't have hypertension.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rob114 wrote:Ranger Jim, No not yet, but that is a non-issue as whenever I'm ready to go back to MEPS, she can write up the Letter/Document proving I don't have hypertension.
Step in the right direction. Never, never quir!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Rob114
Embryo

Post by Rob114 »

Thank you Ranger Jim for the encouragement, I will never quit on my dream.

ManchuV, I understood the process and why, my question was however if I should perhaps play it safe, and return to MEPS after a couple of months exercising and dieting, in addition to finishing school, to ensure that I'll be calm and stress free and in the best possible position of getting a BP reading, as opposed to going back within a weeks time without taking these extra precautions. And if I were to wait longer, might MEPS be treating me differently?

I'd post in a different topic area, however I'm not sure as to which category this would fall in best, either "Recruitment Process" or "Medical".
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rob114 wrote: I'd post in a different topic area, however I'm not sure as to which category this would fall in best, either "Recruitment Process" or "Medical".
Continue to use this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Rob114
Embryo

Post by Rob114 »

ManchuV I'm sorry for ignoring your initial question, I over looked it, I'll knock out 50.

My Bp Readings were 156/96, 140/87, 133/82, clearing showed I was stressed and calming down, the intervals between the readings were only 5mins, perhaps less. When the doctor called me in for another manual reading I got nervous again and it jumped back up to around 140/90, not sure exactly where but I'm an EMT so I was looking at how he was operating the cuff and pump, and the mercury drop rate, etc. He did note it was "Just a bit high". Thank you sir, for your consideration.

Ranger Jim, Thank you for the clarification, greatly appreciated. Don't want to step on any toes while I'm here :)

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”