I read the sticky but had just one little comment or questio

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Hurley21
Embryo

I read the sticky but had just one little comment or questio

Post by Hurley21 »

So I read the sticky about the opt. 40's. I understand, but I would like to explain my situation and get a few opinions.

History:

In sep. of 2011, I joined the USMC with an HZ (recon) contract, and explained to my recruiter I would get married that December, he said there was no problem. I got married, and it turned out that that was a problem. The USMC was not accepting ANY guys with dependents, although I was already DEPed. So I got the boot. Which is good because I wished I had joined the army afterward anyways.

I tried joining the Army. I wanted an opt. 40, the guy said sorry all gone but here is an 18x contract. I was down with that so I accepted it. I was DEPed into the Army with an 18x contract, super excited and ready to go. Well later they 'found out' that my wife was still not a permanent resident (she is from mexico) so they also gave me the boot and told me to come back when she had her social security number. Understandable, right? I thought so.

Well so I finally got all of her immigration stuff taken care of (holy hell, that is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!! As in thousands of dollars) and so I was ready to DEP up again and tell my current boss, who is an ass, to shove it where the sun don't shine. I am really looking forward to that moment.

Anyways, my question was is it worth me fighting to get an opt. 40 contract over an 18x? I know the job is different but I don't care either way I just wanna kill a terrorist and help good guys. Basically I want to be where I can do the 'most' for my country. Yes, very patriotic and things.

I am willing to join any unit where I personally am the most useful.

ABout me..

I am an ex-missionary. Served an LDS mission.
I am bilingual. Spanish.
Somewhat (I consider myself very) athletic. Used to compete in Olympic lifting and powerlifting till I tore a muscle in my bootay. Which really hurt, by the way.
have 132 college credits (there quarter credits, so my BS will be done at 180 credits and not 120)

I used to hunt and fish constantly. As in, I kept at ALL TIMES a .22, 12 gauge shotgun, and a 300 win. mag in my trunk just in case I wanted to go hunting. Which used to be about three times a week. Now I just don't have time with full time school and full time work. Plus marriage.

I have talked to the recruiters, but I would like a different opinion as history shows that recruiters and my life are not always the best combination.

Should I fight for the opt. 40, or go with an 18x? I don't care which unit as they are both first class and freakin awesome. Or do you recommend some other, little heard of unit for me to consider?

I would really like to kill a terrorist. Or at least think I have.... I have already 'spread the word of God' and now it's time for me to 'bring His wrath'. I know corny.

Sorry for the long post.
Hurley21
Embryo

Re: I read the sticky but had just one little comment or que

Post by Hurley21 »

Understood Ranger lunch.

But with all do respect that was not the point of my post.

My point was, in your professional opinion, would someone like myself possibly be more useful somewhere else? For those who have never had to learn a second language, and do it well, it's damn hard. Don't hate it till you try it, it sucks and is hella depressing at times.

I have done as well a ton of research. On the subject, I have read a total of seven books, actual books not internet articles. From what I understand the average age of a Ranger is 19, and SF is 32. I have lurked even this forum for about four or so months, with the most memorable topic I read being about 'what is better, SEALs or Rangers' and laughing at the comments Rangers left and you smoking out one civilian for leaving his opinion.

I am married, bilingual, near college graduate, three kids, worked my butt off doing in school and my crap job, among other not very important personal endevours.

My question was, according to what I have presented, what would stereo-typically be my fit according to your personal and professional opinion? Or does it just not matter either way? If it does not matter, I would much prefer an option 40 contract maybe as a 68w, but if it turns out that YOU RANGERS believe that, someone like myself, may possibly be more useful with my civilian skill set and knowledge somewhere else, I am asking you to please give me a suggestion. That is all.

I know I did not articulate that very well in my first post, I was trying to type and feed my son at the same time. I apologize.

[quote="Lunch" I salute your eagerness to bring the wrath of God to our enemies, but keep in mind that you've done nothing thus far, and odds are that you won't make it through the selection for either.[/quote]

Which is why I am looking Army and not the Navy. Fail SEAL or SWCC or what not, I don't wanna be scrubbing the deck or whatever. I would rather be a grunt and have my school paid for by the Army. See, I'm not totally naive.

I have read some posts on here from Rangers saying they had no idea what an Airborne Ranger was until they were already in the Army. I am simply trying to avoid an 'oh hell, I didn't know things were like that/that was an option, that is much more what I wanted/what I would be great at'.

That's it.

I ask because this next week I will attempt to DEP in again. It's october, and from what I understand the new FY starts in october for the Army. WHich means more contracts.

See, I studied first. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Mad Respect to all, especially you Ranger lunch for being the first to respond.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Your attitude is not appreciated nor warrented. If you want to be treated like a professional, then act like one.

If you really want the best SOF fit based off of your prior experience, then Civil Affairs would be the way to go based on your missionary experience. Not what you were expecting?

The average age of a Ranger is 24 actually, according to the USASOC website. I don't know if I believe 32 is the average age of an SF NCO, my guess is that it would be closer to 28, but I have no proof to the contrary.

Overly simplified difference between SF and the 75th: Rangers kill bad guys, SF teaches/leads indig forces in or out of combat.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Hurley21
Embryo

Post by Hurley21 »

Thank all of you Rangers for responding and for being patient with me. I apologize for having been disrespectful and probably a little misleading in what I was trying to ask.

Thank you for the information, I will look into CA, I had not thought of it before, and until about ten minutes ago did not realize it was such a large and important part of the military.

I am getting my name changed, I made a mistake when signing up, I apologize.

I appreciate what you Rangers have all done, thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Young man, There are a lot of opportunities in central and south america. If you want to go SF please do so. But show up this time. Never never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Hurley21
Embryo

Post by Hurley21 »

Lunch wrote:
Lunch wrote:Not sure if you'll be able to find it using the Search function, but some time ago there was a bit of a discussion here regarding CA. While the discussion was more focused on the merits of women in combat, from what I remember, it might be an interesting read for you. I will look for it as well; let me know if you find it before I do.

BTW, "Hurley" as in Wisconsin, or something other? No need to explain if "other", just curious.

Okay, that discussion took place in one of the back rooms that you wouldn't have access to. Here's a link to a video from CNN, however, that was essentially the source of the discussion regarding "Female Engagement Teams". Yes, this doesn't apply to you directly, but if you aren't at all familiar with CA this is at least informative.
I think it is missing the link.

No, Hurley is just something I never forget, IDK why. It used to be my favorite clothing brand in high school, and now I use it because it fits in most/all password/username requirements and I remember it.

I am actually from AZ.
Hurley21
Embryo

Post by Hurley21 »

Jim wrote:Young man, There are a lot of opportunities in central and south america. If you want to go SF please do so. But show up this time. Never never quit!
That was what I was told previously by a recruiter, who failed SFAS. He was a 'SF baby' (that's what he told me). Said if I failed, I would never get used to being called an SF baby.

Thank you Ranger Jim, and also Ranger Lunch for the help, I very much appreciate it.

My wife doesn't want me to go to Colombia, lol, since the whole Secret Service shananigans with Pres. Obama's security a few months ago, remember? She says 'I know too many Colombianas I know how they are' lol. Makes me laugh :D I would think she would have more 'important' things to worry about if I were ever to actually make a unit like Rangers or SF.

While on the subject, I have read about U.S. plans on rebuilding/establishing FOB in Panama or Colombia in the coming years. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Just curious. I would like to live in the extranjero, just not japan, lol.

Return to “Recruitment Process”