SITREP for Dave

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

SITREP for Dave

Post by Grim666 »

I just heard back today after much time of pushing papers back and forth that my waiver for dependents was granted. I now go to MEPS next Tuesday morning to choose my job. Hoping to get 68W with an opt 40. Will post an update once I return. Thank you for all of the assistance all of the Rangers have been in helping me work through the process to obtain this.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: SITREP for Dave

Post by Grim666 »

Returned to MEPS today and secured a 68W with a ship date of 20120124. The liason said there were no Opt 40 or Airborne slots available however they did give me an airborne physical and started the security clearance paperwork so that if one becomes available they can slot me in. The liason was very cool and told me that she checks weekly for any openings and for any sooner ship dates and if one comes available she will let my recruiter know immediately. As of now it is off to Basic and AIT to do my best and gain a Ranger contract there. Hopefully before I ship it will be added in writing. Thank you to all the Rangers here ofr your advice.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I've upgraded your title.

It's been more than a month since you have given us a sitrep on your p.t. results, please do so here.
Ranger goon 1/75 has stated before it is up to you (with no Opt 40 contract) to get your apft results up to 300 and maintain it for best results to get RASP contract down the road when you enter military.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ranger Steadfast Thank you for upgrading my title. I have continued to read what Ranger Goon 1/75 posts and the most recent one about obtaining the Ranger contract in Basic and AIT. I understand that I must get my APFT up to 300 and I continue to work on that daily. I look forward to going to Basic and AIT and obtaining the contract there if I cannot get one prior to my ship date. The lady at MEPS was really nice and offered to continue looking for me till my ship date. I hope that one becomes available and that she can slot me in. However, if I need to obtain it in Basic or AIT I will make sure the instructors know that I want that and will not let anything stand in my way.

Thank you to all of the Rangers again for all of the guidance and resources available on this site.

Updated APFT Results:

Push-ups 75
Sit-ups 50
2 mile run: 15:15
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Put date of 20120124

in your signature line - located in your profile.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Completed Ranger Steadfast.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

A quick update, it seems that the option 40 is very difficult to come by, especially for some MOSes such as 68W. I have read many threads on here about how to get an opportunity to go to RASP. I have fought along with my recruiter and have at least obtained an Airborne option. So at the very least I am shipping as a 68W Option 4. My recruiter continues to look for the option 40 to add to my contract. I tried to find the appropriate protocol in order to ask for a Ranger mentor but have been unable to find one. I am not sure if I can even ask for one without having an option 40 in my contract. However, I would like to have a Ranger mentor and I am hoping that obtaining the Airborne slot allows me this prestigious honor. Thank you for all of your time and the wealth of information available on this website.
Tankkiller275
Ranger

Post by Tankkiller275 »

Good luck in obtaining the Option 40. If by chance you are not able to obtain one, and near the end of your Airborne training you spot a soldier wearing a tan beret walking up to the front of the formation be ready to be the first one to volunteer (this is assuming they still ask for volunteers in Airborne School). This was how fortune shined down on me on my path to becoming a Ranger... of course the soldier in my day was wearing an earned black beret. Five soldiers with Ranger Contracts had either quit or been injured in Airborne School opening up five slots... I was first to break ranks, thus first in line.

Again... Good luck.
A Co. 2/75, WPN's Plt - Ratbastard, A-T 90-93, Class 8-91

"I will not disgrace the soldier's arms, nor abandon the comrade who stands by my side, but whether alone or with many, I will fight to defend things sacred and profane. I will hand down my country not lessened, but larger and better than I have received it."
Ancient Athenian Oath
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

for 68W's, you submit a packet while you are in AIT. The packet can be found on the Regimental Recruiting website.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ranger Tankkiller275 thank you for the advice. If it comes to that then I will be first jumping at the chance.

Ranger Goon175 thank you. I do have a question for you, is this something I should bring with me or should I print it out at AIT. When is the best time during AIT to submit the packet? I ask because my recruiter told me I may be skipping the first part of AIT since I am already a certified paramedic with over 5 years experience. I do not want to lose the opportunity to submit my packet.

Does this mean that I am not able to get a Ranger Mentor since I do not have an option 40?
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

The POC's listed on the website would be the best people to contact about those specific questions. Given the fact that you are already an EMT-P with experience, I would assumed they would be more than willing to make sure you atleast get a shot at RASP.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Grim666 wrote:Does this mean that I am not able to get a Ranger Mentor since I do not have an option 40?
No. This is a fairly informal process. There's a thread somewhere titled "which one of you turds needs a mentor?"

Then, someone might just take notice and you go from there. Good luck either way.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Another Sitrep. After many weeks of being a flat out pain in the ass and keeping on my recruiter I was finally able to obtain that elusive Option 40 today. I was very excited to say the least that one became available especially for a 68W. I guess that persistence does pay off. I would like to ask for a Mentor if there is any Ranger that would be willing to be one. Thank you to all the Rangers again that have taken the time to make this available to all of us DEPs and recruits.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You got one of 'em! First time I ever saw a 68w opt. 40 on the system today, glad some guys on the site here were able to take advantage! don't waste it, they do not come along often!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Yes Sir, Ranger Goon175 I did. I won't waste it Sir, I will never quit! Now off to do some PT to make sure that I am ready.

Return to “Recruitment Process”