Blue to Green, Opt 40's and a few other questions...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BOBO
USAF

Blue to Green, Opt 40's and a few other questions...

Post by BOBO »

Rangers,
I apologize in advance for digging up old topics and asking questions that may have already been answered, however I have read as much as I can about these topics and many of them are old or do not answer my questions fully. Also I am currently deployed and don't exactly have the luxury of going down to my local personnel section to ask a lot of the questions. First and foremost, from what I have read so far (and please correct me if I'm wrong) prior service attempting to come into the Army as an 11B with an Opt. 40 is a no go, i.e. not possible. There is the possibility of coming in with an Opt. 4 (which is airborne school from what I understand) but they are not giving out an MOS that would make this school a possibility for prior service. All the Blue to Green candidates I have read about here have said that they are having problems even getting through the process let alone getting a job they want. If I were to go through the process I would not settle for anything but Ranger, or SF. I have read that 18x has been taking PS, is this still true? I would love the opportunity for SF training, however Ranger is my first choice. Basically what this comes down to for me is where do I have the best chance of moving forward with the process and getting into a career field I want. I have looked back into trying to cross-train to PJ or CCT even TACP, but being so far out from my cross-train window those are toward the bottom of the list right now. I want to be challenged, and I want to make a difference with my time in the Military, and my current job isn't doing that for me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. And as always thanks for all you do Rangers.
331st Training Squadron
345th Training Squadron
62nd Aerial Port Squadron
376th Expeditionary Logistics Readiness Squdron

"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Blue to Green, Opt 40's and a few other questions...

Post by hit_it »

As you said, B2G is having a hard time even getting through the process. If I were you, I would not be so locked into "I want this or that". You should have looked closer when chossing your service initially. Can't promise you 18X will be taking prior service in the near future, so you might want to get a move on if you think that lane may work for you. The way the Army is taking reductions on personnel, you may not be able to get in before too long. They already cut prior service from coming in after ETS, so my guess is B2G is right behind that.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”