GI or Malice pack or others?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
DoughBoy11C
Infantryman

GI or Malice pack or others?

Post by DoughBoy11C »

So I have been trucking my ass around Afghanistan, Ive been trying to keep it light obviously because regular army has not caught on to plate carrier's. Anyways I was thinking about grabbing up a Malice Pack I've heard their amazing and I have seen a few. Anyone got any takes? Also my buddy who was here a few years ago brought some German pack that has a holster for an weapon on it, seems like a tight pack. I'm not much of a geardo but the GI packs just suck! Yeah I know assault packs are logical but not every mission can support it ya know? Plus most 7 day packs just seem to be saggy and not enough support.
He spoke to me in a voice so sweet,
I thought, I heard the shuffle of the Angel's feet,
He called my name and my heart stood still
When he said, "John go and do my will!"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: GI or Malice pack or others?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Kifaru makes some very comfortable and functional military packs, BUT if you order one it will be a six week wait unless you can find one for sale by a private party.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

Doughboy11C

I was talking to my friend about packs and he gave me this advice (he's USMC Scout Sniper):

In relation to MALICE:
"Malice sucs. Heavy cordura, unnecessary floppy pockets excessive pockets ALWAYS lead to the operator realizing "ooh I have extra room" and stuffing unnecesary shit in them. They are expensive as shit and the shoulder straps suck"

"I don't know shit about dick, but if I were to get a ruck...large surplus alice with frame. Throw TacticalTailor (TT) super waist pad on it with eagle industries shoulder straps. The current generation TT super straps are slippery and will not hold any real amount of wieght unless you want to tighten them up every 30 feet. Next get fastex buckles and reinforced stitching in the stress points. Claymore pouch on top of the main flap, radio pouch, rain flap, and a pocket over the three frontal mini snap pouches. Finally, cut a piece of isomat and slide it between the frame and fold It over yourself. You will have a 3foot by 1 foot slice of iso always which is all you need to sleep on. Butt back and shoulders."

Someone else recommended:
"Don't buy an alice pack at all... get an eagle becker patrol pack"

Hope that helps some, good luck.
"To lead, you must first learn to follow."
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

deathtaco wrote:Doughboy11C

I was talking to my friend about packs and he gave me this advice (he's USMC Scout Sniper):

In relation to MALICE:
"Malice sucs. Heavy cordura, unnecessary floppy pockets excessive pockets ALWAYS lead to the operator realizing "ooh I have extra room" and stuffing unnecesary shit in them. They are expensive as shit and the shoulder straps suck"

"I don't know shit about dick, but if I were to get a ruck...large surplus alice with frame. Throw TacticalTailor (TT) super waist pad on it with eagle industries shoulder straps. The current generation TT super straps are slippery and will not hold any real amount of wieght unless you want to tighten them up every 30 feet. Next get fastex buckles and reinforced stitching in the stress points. Claymore pouch on top of the main flap, radio pouch, rain flap, and a pocket over the three frontal mini snap pouches. Finally, cut a piece of isomat and slide it between the frame and fold It over yourself. You will have a 3foot by 1 foot slice of iso always which is all you need to sleep on. Butt back and shoulders."

Someone else recommended:
"Don't buy an alice pack at all... get an eagle becker patrol pack"

Hope that helps some, good luck.
A) This post is from Feb. I am sure by now he has a new ruck
B) No one here gives a shit what a cadet thinks unless he is posting pics of some slut that is running around on his campus
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Baseplate wrote: No one here gives a shit what a cadet thinks unless he is posting pics of some slut that is running around on his campus
Concure.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

x3
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
RSOVRanger
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RSOVRanger »

4th on the poontang running around campus.

Information percolated through non-military channels from a supposed military source, purported to be advice to someone who IS military, is suspect at best and bullshit at worst.

I trust second hand information like... say, Baseplate had a guy on his mortar team who got a ruck that absolutely kicked ass, the one he had before sucked balls. Baseplate tried the ruck out on a couple roadmarches just to check it out as well, and found the owners claims of super-sexy-ness to be true.

That's good poop.

Not some cadidiot who has a "USMC Scout Sniper buddy"

Combine that with who actually carries heavy shit... I'll take a mortarmen's word, weapon squad members word, that a ruck kicks ass. Everyone else has the choice to lighten the load here or there. Those guys DON'T. It is what it is and to do the mission, you get to hump the shit.

Even as an RTO I had the option (unexercised) to be able to crossload as feasible within the headquarters element. I humped my shit and didn't slow down because of it. Then again, I'd ruck out to Fryar with all my shit, for fun when we were doing DZSO duties as a platoon. That, and while I was tromping out there I was actually shamming because I wasn't having to deal with the other various "where the fuck is the dz kit go load the zodiacs ok now draw mre's because we just missed lunch and won't be back for dinner"

I just had my slice of the pie, IE 2 117D's, 4x spare batteries, and other assorted PI equipment the PSG wanted me to carry... and 4 subway sandwiches... Get to the DZ, rucksack flop off the trail at the PI, munch a sammich, crack a chem if it was getting late and I might PMCS my eyelids for a bit so I didn't get run the fuck over, and stuff the handmike on my ear on platoon net and max volume. Bout a 70 lb ruck after all was said and done.

If the whole ruck solution hasn't been solved...The eagle shoulder straps and TT belt are probably the best bet. I didn't like going hog-wild with personally purchased equipment simply because although the issued stuff might not be the best in the world..... if it breaks, you can DX and get a new one. If you break shit you bought, you're fucked.
Aco & HHC 3/75 May98-Apr04
Aco 4/23 INF Apr04-Jun06
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Alright, I'm going to get a dufflebag, put a frame on it, add some TT pouches (i'm going to cover it in pouches), put a radar array and anti-aircraft crew on top, two 105mm cannons in the back, complete with a gun crew and five small dwarves. To top it off, I am going to fill it with crab cake MRE's, a sound system, and thirty seven of the Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz movie (oh yeah, one Flying monkey). Throw in a Pole and fourteen of the finest Afghan strippers (Burka included) and its off to the mountains of Tatouine for a cordon and search of the Emerald City.

My Storm Trooper buddy told me it works better than anything else.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

RSOVRanger
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RSOVRanger »

You forgot to have AT-AT's as Close Ground Support.
Aco & HHC 3/75 May98-Apr04
Aco 4/23 INF Apr04-Jun06
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Damn it, always the little things...
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

The one time I tried to "game" a ruck march was when I made my own jungle boot foot bed inserts....how'd that work out? Not too good!

I took some 1/2 inch felt padding I found somewhere in the aide station and cut out the inserts and put them into my boots. About a mile into the ruck they "rolled" and I had a wicked blister the width of my foot for the remaining 11.5 miles around perimeter road. And as you know, medics never ever get a foot check :(

Sometimes its just best to use the issue shit and not think about it too much....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

panthersix wrote: Sometimes its just best to use the issue shit and not think about it too much....

As an 11C, I am going to have to agree. Humping is going to suck, period. So why add more shit to it. I just use the suck method...ruck up, shut the ____ up, and do it. I humped that god forsaken base plate and spare rounds all over Afghanistan. Luckily for me, I was just a 60mm squad leader....so I was getting over regardless. The issued large ALICE did just fine. The only non-issue ruck I ever used was the Camelback assault pack, and I only used it to reduce the number of things I had to wear by one.

Sidenote, I just found out my Stormtrooper buddy was lying, he was only Flunky #3 on the Death Star. Never even attended super secret Ninja school. What a turd. Geez
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

He's probably an asshole:

Dark Helmet: Careful you idiot! I said across her nose, not up it!
Laser Gunner: Sorry sir! I'm doing my best!
Dark Helmet: Who made that man a gunner?
Major Asshole: I did sir. He's my cousin.
Dark Helmet: Who is he?
Colonel Sandurz: He's an asshole sir.
Dark Helmet: I know that! What's his name?
Colonel Sandurz: That is his name sir. Asshole, Major Asshole!
Dark Helmet: And his cousin?
Colonel Sandurz: He's an asshole too sir. Gunner's mate First Class Philip Asshole!
Dark Helmet: How many asholes do we have on this ship, anyway?
[Entire bridge crew stands up and raises a hand]
Entire Bridge Crew: Yo!
Dark Helmet: I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes!
[Dark Helmet pulls his face shield down]
Dark Helmet: Keep firing, assholes!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Classic movie.... Baaarrffff.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

Return to “Personal Gear”