Intro-Devin16

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

devin16
Paratrooper

Re: Intro-Devin16

Post by devin16 »

Rangers , I just got back from a day at the recruiters. I scored a practice ASVAB and scored a 80 the SFC said that usually they add ten to the practice and thats the predicted score so he predicted id have around a 90. He said with that score there would be a plethora of jobs available but I told him that the only contract I will put my name on is a 11x Option 40. He seemed surprised and said what if its not available and I said well then I will wait however long it takes. I am scheduled to take the ASVAB on monday at 2. I will keep this thread updated ! Thank you Rangers and have a good day.
82nd Airborne Division
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Also how do I got about letting them know I am only going to sign a 11x option 40 without coming off as rude? Especially at MEPS when they say its not available.
82nd Airborne Division
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

It's not rude. Think of it like you are buying a car. You have a specific make and model in mind, but they don't have it on the lot. The sales guy wants to move something now to make commission, so they are going to pressure you to buy something you don't really want.

Just be polite but firm, that the only way you are signing is for Option 40. If they give you guff about wasting their time, just state that you have been clear about this from day 1.

Do notice that I left the 11x part off. There are a number of option 40 positions outside Infantry.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Thank you Ranger X I appreciate the advice. And yes I know that there are tons of great jobs in the Ranger Regiment and would be blessed to do any of them. But I have done research for the past year and am really set on 11x. I will update with what I score on my ASVAB monday.
82nd Airborne Division
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Rangers I have just gotten back from Taking my ASVAB. I scored a 70. They offered to have me go to meps on Thursday and swear in. I checked the jobs available and the only option 40 was human recources and SIGINT. I politely declined and said I want 11x Option 40. My recruiter said its hard to get and I can go to RASP once I get in. I informed them that I am on this forum and that i have been doing research and would wait out the 11x option 40 for however long it takes. The SFC said he understands and said that he will schedule me for a airborne physical so that when he calls the ROC they know I already have that taken care of. I just want to thank all of the Rangers on this forum for giving me the knowledge and information I needed to be able to get what I want. I have to go to MEPS wednesday to take a verification ASVAB since I took it at the recruiters office. On a side note the SFC brought in a Ranger qualified recruiter to tell me that I can get to RASP or SFAS if I just signed a 11b contract, and he said "I get emails all the time from SFAS. And Delta selection. I didnt really know what to say. I am sticking to my guns and said I will wait however long it takes. Thank you Rangers and have a good day!
82nd Airborne Division
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Keep waiting. Recruiters are like used car salesmen. "You want a Porsche? Don't have any right now but here buy this VW bug and you can fix it up later." Exactly.

Some do get Opt 40's during OSUT, but many don't. Then you're looking at about 2 yrs in to get a 4187 transfer IF you can get released.

Don't fall for the nonsense, it's your life. If all else fails, go to a different recruiter.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

cams wrote:Keep waiting. Recruiters are like used car salesmen. "You want a Porsche? Don't have any right now but here buy this VW bug and you can fix it up later." Exactly.

Some do get Opt 40's during OSUT, but many don't. Then you're looking at about 2 yrs in to get a 4187 transfer IF you can get released.

Don't fall for the nonsense, it's your life. If all else fails, go to a different recruiter.
Edited to add to the email comment:

I get emails all the time from Ethiopian Kings offering me 10 million dollars. You think I'll ever see it?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I get emails all the time from SFAS. And Delta selection.

What was your GT score on the "recruiter" ASVAB - if they broke it down? By the way, that doesn't mean shit. The only one that matters is the one that you take at MEPS.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Ranger X my gt score was 113. And when I went to MEPS all i had to take was a 20 question verification to make sure I didn't cheat at the recruiters. Also Rangers ,My recruiter is scheduling me for my physical and airborne physical so that when he calls the ROC I already have everything taken care of so I can jump on a option 40 when it becomes available. Thank you Rangers have a good day!
82nd Airborne Division
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

devin16 wrote:Ranger X my gt score was 113. And when I went to MEPS all i had to take was a 20 question verification to make sure I didn't cheat at the recruiters. Also Rangers ,My recruiter is scheduling me for my physical and airborne physical so that when he calls the ROC I already have everything taken care of so I can jump on a option 40 when it becomes available. Thank you Rangers have a good day!
Any new developments? When is your next appointment? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Rangers , I have my physical at MEPS this Monday I am spending night Sunday at hotel. They showed me jobs available with option 40 again and it was Chemical and Human resources and Intel I told them again that I will not sign something I do not want when I cant ship until july anyway. My recruiter called the ROC and they said they can give me 11x but not option 40 and I said I will wait. My initial recruiter pulled me to the side and asked what I was doing and if I want to be a ranger they have the option 40. I said sorry sir but I am going to hold out for the 11x Option 40 and he proceeded to say Infantry Rangers are a dime a dozen and I should set myself apart my doing another job along with Ranger. He said okay well that job may never be available. I am going to wait until the first week of october and maybe since its the new fiscal year they will be available. I hope I am not doing the wrong thing by declining these jobs. I want the army to be my career and I do not want to join a career field for the next 20 years and questuon myself what if? Thank you Rangers and have a good day , I will update whenever anything new happens.
82nd Airborne Division
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Rangers , also I have a question? If this recruiter keeps trying to get me to take something I do no want and doesn't actively try to get me an 11x Option 40 Would it be ill advised to go to all the recruiting stations I possibly can and tell them that I have everything done , asvab , physical and that I want an 11x option 40 and if they can get one I will sign the next day? I would only do this if this keeps happening. This is my life and I want to take it into my own hands and do everything I can.
82nd Airborne Division
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Devin, Remember that to the recruiter, you represent a quota. Your desires have a lower priority to his meeting his goals. That said, it sounds like your recruiter is trying to help you. One of the things you have to realize is that Recruiting Command generally offers more Option 40 spaces because of the high attrition rates during OSUT and BAC. Another factor is the fact that fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan is being reduced, so Ranger units are not deploying at the rate they used to. Please be patient, time is on your side. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
devin16
Paratrooper

Post by devin16 »

Rangers , I just want to say thank you for all the knowledge and information this site and its members have given me. I went to meps today , was a go at every station and passed the airborne physical. My First Sergeant came in to get me and went and called the ROC with me right there. He asked for an 11x option 40 and the guy said " okay you got it goodbye". My Sergeant was very surprised. This is just the beginning to a long journey. I sign on Thursday and swear in. I will work my ass off to make sure I get to become a U.S Army Ranger. Thank you Rangers and have a good day.
82nd Airborne Division
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

devin16 wrote:Rangers , I just want to say thank you for all the knowledge and information this site and its members have given me. I went to meps today , was a go at every station and passed the airborne physical. My First Sergeant came in to get me and went and called the ROC with me right there. He asked for an 11x option 40 and the guy said " okay you got it goodbye". My Sergeant was very surprised. This is just the beginning to a long journey. I sign on Thursday and swear in. I will work my ass off to make sure I get to become a U.S Army Ranger. Thank you Rangers and have a good day.
Great SITREP! Please post on this thread when you have taken your oath. When you have your Option 40 and a report date we will help you prepare yourself for OSUT, BAC, and RASP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”