Introduction - Nick LOCKED BAN ENACTED

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Nick

Post by Jim »

Wrestler_1 wrote:Ranger Jim, I failed to report back to this thread with my findings concerning the PT results of which were every two weeks, with a few outliers of weekly and monthly.
One of the skills that Rangers prize is "Attention to detail." Lesson complete. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Yes Ranger Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Anything new, Nick? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Yes Ranger Jim!
I attended my second Vision Therapy session today. The doctor briefed me on what he believed my vision was and how to fix it.

He told me that my eyes are perfectly healthy, and my prescription is: 20/25 in my left eye, and 20/200 in my right eye. He says that I have 10 times the amount of astigmatism than most people that come into his office, and that is the cause of my blurry vision. All other tests(Pressure, Coordination, Depth Per.) were all 5x5, and he told me that my vision would be correctable to 20/25 in my right eye with more sessions of therapy and constant use of glasses! I ordered a pair today(Bi-Carbonate, Impact resistant) and he said that there are refractive surgeries that are available(PRK/LASIK) to fix my vision, which he suggested I should do while I'm in the military.

He told me that I will most likely have to wear glasses for the rest of my life, given that I do not have surgery and/or the surgery doesn't work out. This concerned me to some extent, because I am not sure of the use of prescription glasses in the Army and more so the Regiment. I will be looking for more information throughout the forums as well as on the web to see what information I could dig up.

I was ecstatic when he told me that I could correct my vision to 20/25, that was the only thing in my mind that held doubt against me joining the 75th. Nothing is stopping me now.

I also met with my recruiter on Thursday and discussed some things. He tried to push various MOS's on me, but I told him directly "I will only accept 68W, nothing else". He told me that based on my ASVAB scores, I qualify for any job in the Army, but he will see what he can do to get me a medic contract. I told him that I am going to hold off on my enlistment, only until I can strengthen my vision to the best of my ability.
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

You were on site yesterday.

It has been over 2 weeks since your last posted APFT.

Did you learn nothing from the research session?
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

No excuse Ranger Buzz. I conducted a PT test exactly on December 13th with the following results:

PU: 94
SU: 89
2 Mile: 12:57
Pull-ups: 23

As far as my status of enlistment, I am awaiting my vision therapist to call me with a vision improvement regimen that I can start soon. Once I get an accurate reading of how my eyes adjust to the regimen, I can get a clear estimation of when I can enlist.

The A&P class at the local CC got waitlisted due to the influx of Biology students so I plan to buy the appropriate textbooks and study on my own.

I plan on also going for a ruck march this weekend(25 lbs, 4 miles) just to get a feel for it. I do hope this is an alright starting point, if any other Rangers have other suggestions regarding the length and weight of my ruck, I gladly welcome your viewpoints.

Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Good evening Rangers. I hope you all had a merry Christmas.

My PT test results:

PU: 96
SU: 93
2 Mile: 12:51
Pull-ups: 22

I also went on a 4-mile ruck march, with 50 lbs., which took me 1 hour and 10 minutes. I also visited my eye doctor and got my eye glasses as well as a vision therapy regime for me to complete. I have been doing the exercises religiously, sometimes more than is required(Over training is not a worry, says my doctor). He says that I should complete a 30 day cycle and then come back to him to see how my eyes adjust, which he thinks should be very well. I have high hopes for this regime. I have already read through "Violence Of Action" and "Lest We Forget" and am about halfway through "Sua Sponte". Using my glasses, as well as a blur patch over my good eye allows my mind to strengthen my bad eye while reading these books, so two improvements are being made concurrently!

That is it for my SITREP now, but I hope to have more good news in my next update.
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Hello Rangers, as requested: My bi-month PT test.

PU: 100
SU: 96
2 Mile: 12:30
Pull-ups: 23

I feel stronger, I feel faster, and most importantly: I feel motivated. I bought a gym pass to my local LA Fitness and that has helped a ton in my work-up regimen. I also purchased SOFLETE's Selection Prep Program, which I really enjoy doing. I would post a link, but I am unsure if that is allowed. I have been rucking as well, my 2nd ruck I clocked in at 1 hour 15 mins, 4.5 miles and 45 lbs. My form still seems shaky to me, but I am looking all over the net as well as here for information and tips on proper rucking. I've been studying up on my Anatomy and Physiology textbooks, and thinking about looking up a little Pathophysiology but I don't want to overload myself with information I'll learn in AIT anyway.
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Rangers, I have a question about my enlistment, and I'm not sure if my recruiter is being straight with me or not.

He came by my house today and told me that 54 68W slots had opened up and he was ready to ship me in the beginning of March. He also told me that this would be the last chance to take a slot because these will probably be the last time they are open this year. He says that it is based on Schoolhouse rotations and training schedule, which makes sense. But I'm still skeptical.

Is he lying to me, or is this really the last time to enlist as a 68W for a year?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Wrestler_1 wrote:Rangers, I have a question about my enlistment, and I'm not sure if my recruiter is being straight with me or not.

He came by my house today and told me that 54 68W slots had opened up and he was ready to ship me in the beginning of March. He also told me that this would be the last chance to take a slot because these will probably be the last time they are open this year. He says that it is based on Schoolhouse rotations and training schedule, which makes sense. But I'm still skeptical.

Is he lying to me, or is this really the last time to enlist as a 68W for a year?
I checked with one of the people at MEPS in Texas. He said that if the recruiter will put it in writing, your slot will be reserved until you can take your oath at MEPS.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Thank you for doing that Ranger Jim.

Does that mean that I can have him reserve that slot for me and I can take my oath when I'm ready to? I just feel that I'm not as ready as I need to be for this yet.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Wrestler_1 wrote:Thank you for doing that Ranger Jim.

Does that mean that I can have him reserve that slot for me and I can take my oath when I'm ready to? I just feel that I'm not as ready as I need to be for this yet.
You need to work the details out with your recruiter.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

Roger that, Ranger Jim.

I will talk to him hopefully today and will post a SITREP when I receive information.

Wrestler_1
BANNED

Post by Wrestler_1 »

SITREP for all Rangers and those interested.

I spoke with my recruiter and was told that he can reserve my slot, but only for a maximum of 7 days. He told me that this chance will probably not be around later on, and I should take it.

My projected shipdate is 20120223. I'm due for MEPS next Wednesday to swear in and confirm my enlistment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Wrestler_1 wrote:SITREP for all Rangers and those interested.

I spoke with my recruiter and was told that he can reserve my slot, but only for a maximum of 7 days. He told me that this chance will probably not be around later on, and I should take it.

My projected shipdate is 20120223. I'm due for MEPS next Wednesday to swear in and confirm my enlistment.
Thanks for confirming what I told you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”