gas prices in Iraq

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
RTO wrote: In fact, it's the most profitable company in the history of capitalism, earning a record $40.6 billion last year on sales of $404 billion.
Not a math major, but doesn't that equal around a 10 % profit? Alot of money considering the volume, but not much percentage wise. What is the mark-up profit on firearms, sporting goods, etc.............

Was listening to a talk show where it was said that the oil companies paid out more dollars in taxes and fees than they brought home...................
That is false, when they post their earnings if they were at a loss they would have to show it

earning a record $40.6 billion last year, is what they earned

am I wrong?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Tater Nuts wrote:
If your refineries are operating at 100 percent and you can't build new ones, just how do you increase production ?

In 1981, the US had 324 refineries with a total capacity of 18.6 million barrels per day, the Department of Energy reports. Today, there are just 132 oil refineries with a capacity of 16.8 million b.p.d., according to Oil and Gas Journal, a trade publication.
Down almost 200 refineries? I guess my question then would be, why can't they build new ones?
They can't..... or don't want to?
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Tater Nuts wrote:
RRDTm3 wrote:
Zonk 1/75 wrote: Not a math major, but doesn't that equal around a 10 % profit? Alot of money considering the volume, but not much percentage wise. What is the mark-up profit on firearms, sporting goods, etc.............

Was listening to a talk show where it was said that the oil companies paid out more dollars in taxes and fees than they brought home...................
That is false, when they post their earnings if they were at a loss they would have to show it

earning a record $40.6 billion last year, is what they earned

am I wrong?
If they paid more than 40.6 billion in taxes that is not a loss but an expense, so they could pay more in taxes and fees then their earnings if they had fees and taxes in excess of 40.6 billion.
(raises hand like Tom Hanks in "Big" and says...............I don't get it)
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Tater Nuts wrote:
RTO wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:
If your refineries are operating at 100 percent and you can't build new ones, just how do you increase production ?

In 1981, the US had 324 refineries with a total capacity of 18.6 million barrels per day, the Department of Energy reports. Today, there are just 132 oil refineries with a capacity of 16.8 million b.p.d., according to Oil and Gas Journal, a trade publication.
Down almost 200 refineries? I guess my question then would be, why can't they build new ones?
http://blogs.chron.com/lorensteffy/arch ... ws_on.html
I understand. They may not get a good Return On Investment (ROI) because fuel demand may decrease by the year 2030 even though most projections show otherwise. Makes perfect sense to me now. :roll:

I do agree with the comment on that blog about too many refineries being in Hurricane prone zip codes. It doesn't appear we/they have any back up plans in case of any worse case senario event.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

RTO wrote:I do agree with the comment on that blog about too many refineries being in Hurricane prone zip codes. It doesn't appear we/they have any back up plans in case of any worse case senario event.
I may be a little slow but that might have to do with all that crude coming in on big ships :shock:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Tater Nuts wrote:
I for one hope they don't squander their profits as my State retirement is heavily invested in petroleum and utilities. :roll:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em I've always heard. I guess now would be as good time as any to go heavy on Exxon oil stocks and became an 'owner', not just an end-user.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

RTO wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:
RTO wrote:I believe solar can be used by many more people, especially in the lower 1/3 of the country.
I have a good friend in New Mexico that uses 100% solar for heating, light, electricity, cooling, hot water, everything. With solar panals on their roof they make so much electricity the local power company is actually required by law to buy excess energy from them each month, giving them a tidy little profit each month as well as no energy bill.
I'm interested in doing this. Do you know what company did the installation, or if he did it himself, and roughly how much the initial cost was?
This is not my friend here, but it will give a much better idea of what is involved. Here is a link (read the story then click on the video clip) to see what people are doing today. Let me know if you need more info than this and I can poke around for ya. This should point you in the right direction though.
Cost to retrofit an existing structure might be spendy however, cost is actually less to build this way if you are thinking new construction. If you are buying/building a new house, I don't see why you wouldn't incorporate at least some of these ideas.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... Bills.aspx
Horned Toad wrote:I have a good friend that is off the grid and has a full solar system on his house. It cost around 50k but there was a lot of money from the local co-op, so he wasn’t out of pocket for much money.

http://www.outbackpower.com/

thats the outfit my friend has
Thanks for the info.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
lusus
Ranger

Post by lusus »

RTO wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:

Thank the environmentalists and lawyers. They have made it flat out impossible to build a new refinery. And now its becoming flat out impossible to build new coal fired power plants (see editorial in today's WSJ, post if there is interest). Kansas just scrapped a plant that was in compliance with all federal and state laws. The Gov said the plant presented an 'imminent danger' to her citizens. She is being talked about as a potential Obama VP. This is serious shit.

It will take a few years, but we are on the road to inflation, blackouts, fuel shortages and third world country status if we don't pull our collective heads out.
C co 2/75 86-90
Class 8-88

'The will to conquer is the first condition of victory.' Frederick Foch
lusus
Ranger

Post by lusus »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
RTO wrote: In fact, it's the most profitable company in the history of capitalism, earning a record $40.6 billion last year on sales of $404 billion.

I think they paid more in US taxes on worldwide operations than they earned in the US market.
C co 2/75 86-90
Class 8-88

'The will to conquer is the first condition of victory.' Frederick Foch

Return to “The News Dump”