Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It isn't just PT Big Guy - it's an entirely new lifestyle where you'll be getting up a half hour before you're going to bed now.
We're not insisting on these formalities just to make us old 'has beens' feel like we got stiff dicks again.
It's partly to sort out those who really want the help of those here willing to share.
Those who do want the benefit of our experience & who want to succeed in the Army need to get used to certain unfamiliar habits - courtesy & respect to complete strangers to whom you have no reason to respect & obedience to seemingly silly procedures and habits. Reduce your culture shock a little.
Think we're being self important? Wait until you meet the fat in processing clerk at the reception center. Don't show that short dick slug all proper courtesy he feels is his or her due & you'll enjoy your four years sorting the mail out on Johnston Atoll while waiting for your 201 file to return from Belgium.
"Sir, I know he says he has a Ranger contract but I don't see nuttin' in his enlistment packet 'bout dat', but we just got levied for another cook for USAG Kuwait".
This is for your eventual good, the majority of us had nothing like this site to help us prepare or inform us of what lay ahead, we did it cold, headfirst into the deep end.

Since I think you do appreciate my candor, I took the time to type all this crap for you, so don't reply without the proper salutations.
In fact, I suggest you don't reply for about a month.
Read the PT forums & the assorted school forums, there's a lot of useful workout advice & programs you can adapt to your situation.
Use the next few weeks to stretch & loosen up, do the real basic stuff to keep from getting injured when (if) you begin the real workouts.
After the New Year, do a diagnostic PT test, to proper army standards in about a month - that's right - you're getting in shape begining now, regardless of the holiday food frenzy. Might as well start developing your self discipline now by pushing away from the table.
Anyway, do that PT test to establish a baseline so you can measure your progress from there. Post the results here.
Show you're willing to work through some real pain & someone might take you on as a mentee.
Memorise the Ranger Creed, use it to motivate yourself & ponder what it means while you're sweating the lard off.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

There was an article in Army Times a year or so ago about a soldier who'd lost something like 250+ pounds in his 30s in order to get into the Army & is now an MP or something at Ft Hood, IIRC, so it can be done if you have the guts.

Of course, RIP is setting the bar just a little bit higher...

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome and best of luck.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Cpbiggs, A man has only one opportunity to create a favorable initial impression. At the moment, you are marginal. If you really want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. The words of wisdom directed to you indicates that a number for the finest men to have served this nation are taking time to assist you on your quest. Take advantage of their experience and prosper. One of the prime reasons for the existance of this site is to assist young men prepare themselves for service in the Ranger Regiment. But, frankly, it is your responsibility to earn the space. Your hard work and dedication is what determines success or failure. Never, never quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

K.Ingraham wrote:There was an article in Army Times a year or so ago about a soldier who'd lost something like 250+ pounds in his 30s in order to get into the Army & is now an MP or something at Ft Hood, IIRC, so it can be done if you have the guts.

Of course, RIP is setting the bar just a little bit higher...
I think I found it. :shock:

418 pounds with a 5-foot-7-inch frame and wore pants with 60-inch waists
to start!!!! As of this article down to 165 pounds and going to school as a combat medic. WoW!!!

http://www.armytimes.com/legacy/new/0-A ... 308122.php
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

That's the guy RTO, thank you.

Cpbiggs, there's your hero & role model, second of course to the 'Great Ranger in the Sky'.

RS 9-76

Return to “Introduction Archive”