SITREP Ribot0

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Drive on, stud. Hope you do well in Ranger Challenge...just not better than Penn State.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ribot0
Ranger

Re: SITREP Ribot0

Post by Ribot0 »

Its been a while, and lots has gone on. I had a very successful senior year. I graduated college on time, knocked out a personal best 350 PT test, and was just commissioned as a 2LT, branched Infantry. I have a long wait until I start the training pipeline, and so for almost a year I will be working part time jobs, working out, and just generally trying to have as much fun as possible before going on active duty. After that, I will go to Benning, knock out my training, and be stationed in Alaska. I am hoping for Richardson, as I want to be on jump status.

I'm definitely taking the long road to getting a tab and hopefully serving in the Regiment. Its been four years since I started with the Army, and I can't wait to get to do my job. I would love to do any training / schools I can get my hands on, but I've been told that I technically don't belong to anyone right now. Heck, I don't even have a valid military ID anymore. So, for the next year, time to work hard and have as much fun as I can.
Ranger Class 11-10
3-21 IN
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dave, you have come a long way. Graduating from Rutgers and earning an Infantry commission. Just doesn't get much better than that, does it? Are you going to try to short-circuit the year-long wait? I'm proud of your accomplishments. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Gentlemen,

Its been quite some time since my last update, and a lot has happened. After commissioning I wasn't able to get active duty orders, and spent the summer working as a technician for the NJ National Guard, mowing lawns and sweeping up armories. I got to spend a lot of time bullshitting with the joes during my downtime, and saw a very different perspective while talking to these privates/sergeants who had just got back from a deployment. It was always funny seeing the looks on their faces when they found out that the guy that scrubs their bathrooms and buffs their floors was an officer.

I've been working at my school as a cadre member since then. I helped train our Ranger Challenge team to a first place finish, (Sorry PocketKings, better luck next year!) and we will be headed to the Sandhurst competition in a few weeks. I attribute the success of the team to having individual talent coupled with "we will do whatever it takes to win" support from our cadre. It has been an interesting experience getting to see the ROTC world from the other side of things. I do not have many responsibilities, and have been lacking in terms of receiving professional development, so most of the things I've learned have been by watching successes and failures of other cadre. I just try to keep myself squared away and set a good example for our cadets. I've been making sure to take advantage of my current situation, living it up on the weekends and doing fun things like getting my scuba diving cert and flying airplanes.

In another few weeks I will be doing the Bataan Death March. I am doing this to raise money for the Hope for the Warrior foundation, and have gotten a thousand dollars in donations so far. Its been an eye opener training for it, nothing like having to step off for a 4 hour ruck when you ate dinner already, its pitch black out and snowing. After training the past two months, I can feel myself having a degree of intrinsic motivation and discipline that I haven't had before. I am also training in Brazilian JiuJitsu. I'm having fun with it, but do not feel the type of training I am doing is preparing me well for a real fight.

It has been a little frustrating watching the guys I graduated with come back from their basic courses and head to their units. I'm hoping that this time spent in ROTC won't cause me to loose too much PL time. I've been waiting for five years, and am chomping at the bit to get going. I'm almost there though. I will be starting IOBC / BOLCB / (whatever the new acronym is) in another two months, and will eventually be stationed in Alaska. I do not know if I will be at Ft. Richardson (my preference) or Ft. Wainwright yet.
Ranger Class 11-10
3-21 IN
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Congratulations for hanging in there and getting your chance.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Damn, Dave, you still are not on active duty. That really sucks. Well, at least when You do go on active duty, you will be able to count the years of service for pay purposes. Other than that, it sounds like the recruiters have been too effective.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Hang in there. Just a couple of months to go.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

It looks like you've been using your time wisely. It will pay dividends. Don't tell anyone this, but sone of the training and prep I did as an ROTC cadet was tougher than the 'real thing.' Don't take that to heart - just assume the RS and the Army is gonna be tougher and be happy when you find out otherwise.

Best of luck. Alaska is one beautiful place.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Just a quick update here. I'm down at Benning now, and will start IOBC next week. I got my duty station - I will be going to Fort Wainwright, AK. So far everything is going well, though I would have much preferred to have orders going to Ft. Richardson. Its been almost five years since I became involved with the military, and it feels great to finally be at this point and a few months out from Ranger school.

Any LT's that are going to be coming down here, feel free to shoot me any questions you have regarding moving here, where to live, or inprocessing.
Ranger Class 11-10
3-21 IN
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Hang tough dude.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Personally, I find it pretty awesom,e seeing a 2LT who is devoted for the right reasons, and ready to lead by example. You're going to be that PL that everyone talks about.....that guy who alays knows what to do.
Leadership doesn't come from a text book. Leadersip comes from the heart. If you can't lead from the front, turn in your bars. Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job and have the right attitude. Lead the way! Remember, these guys are the best of the best. Each one of them is a Hero. Remember that.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Gentlemen, Thanks. I really appreciate it. Feedback from you guys has really helped me stay motivated and on track the past few years.
Ranger Class 11-10
3-21 IN
Ribot0
Ranger

Update:

Post by Ribot0 »

I graduated from IBOLC. I start Ranger school this weekend. I will get my tab.
Ranger Class 11-10
3-21 IN
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Update:

Post by Ranger Bill »

Ribot0 wrote:... I will get my tab.
Yes, you can, you will, you must.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Update:

Post by Jim »

Ribot0 wrote:I graduated from IBOLC. I start Ranger school this weekend. I will get my tab.
Good on ya', Dave. Never. never quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”