Getting out of the chair...

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Buddha wrote:Dude, I hope you meant you licked your "cuisine" and not your "cousin." :shock:
It does raise an issue. :D
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Ranger Bill wrote:
Buddha wrote:Dude, I hope you meant you licked your "cuisine" and not your "cousin." :shock:
But what if she was hot, would that be OK? :shock:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

AbnRgr289 wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:
2nd cousin, or 3d, etc. OK. 1st cousin is a no-go. If we're talking female...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Ranger Bill wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote: It does raise an issue. :D
2nd cousin, or 3d, etc. OK. 1st cousin is a no-go. If we're talking female...
Freakin Rangers :roll: gotta turn everything into a conversation about SEX!

GRITS I love this place!!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

I've recently been through BASIC training although I had a 60% on all areas when I joined. Some of the guys that went in were severely overweight and could barely do the 16 push ups and complete the 2 mile run in 18 minutes to get out of Reception.

The pace set in basic training now is a joke to be honest, you'll get in good shape based around the food they feed you and being active all day, I wouldn't hold back on joining simply because you're out of shape.

When I went in I was at 60% and if I didn't have broken bones I'd likely be at 100% right now, the medic's do a lot more physical training, though. (You get the piss smoked out of you in reception and during the first few weeks of AIT).

Enjoyable experience so far, though, definately rewarding. I say go for it.
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Ranger Bill wrote:1st cousin is a no-go.
Only if you live North of Kentucky..... :lol:

Had to pull my belt a little tighter this morning and my kids made a comment about my stomach looking "not as big as it usually does". Must be doing something right.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:
I think I'm going to try Ranger CHCB's run schedule, and go to the gym Tue and Thu. A few years ago I was running every Mon-Fri, mornings and nights. If felt great and my distance improved at a rapid rate and I lost some fat. Supposedly, this is bad. Running just thee times a week just doesn't feel like enough to make a difference; but, I'm going to listen to the pro's and try it.

Good luck Ranger Splat.
ANGRYCivilian: George Sheehan said it best, "we are each an experiment of one." If running 5 days a week twice a day works for you, you should stick with it.

Some people can run 5-6 days a week...some can run 80-100 miles a week. Generally, people who follow these kinds of workouts fall into one of these categories:

1-Genetically gifted runners who have excellent biomechanics and phenomenal recovery rates.

2-People who are running most or all of their workouts at pretty low intensities-which are great for burning fat, and allow for quicker recovery, but don't maximize speed.

3-The chronically injured.

I started my athletic career as a biathlete. Getting stationed in Alabama pretty much ended any chance of continuing to ski XC (and people laugh at the funny looking rifle, anyway!)

When I turned to running and triathlon, I ran 5-6 days a week and ended up in category 3. After beating my head against a wall, I started doing some reading and then stopped running completely on my "easy" days, leaving the three run workouts a week I mentioned above.

Over the years I was able to turn in a 36:00 10K, a 1:00:15 10 miler and an 8:46 50 miler on less than 2000 miles a year (around 36 miles a week average, with a long week of no more than 45) supplemented with a lot of cycling.

That's why I advise 3 days a week (or alternating 3 one week, 4 the next) for anyone starting out, or just getting back. Once you get an overuse injury, particularly if you're just starting out, you can get into an awful downward spiral.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

DirtyBlackSocks wrote:... I didn't have broken bones I'd likely be at 100% right now, the medic's do a lot more physical training, though. (You get the piss smoked out of you in reception and during the first few weeks of AIT).
Splat wrote:Second... DEPS STFU. I don't want any DEP comments or a fucking critique from you. Just pay attention. This is what happens to you when you allow yourself to get soft and your constitution to weaken.
If you are getting smoked (which I doubt you are), it's because you are fucking stupid and don't follow instructions. I told you DEPS to STFU (Shut the Fuck Up)! Braindead..... :evil:
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

CHCB wrote: 3-The chronically injured.
Ranger CHCB,

I think I've been in the third category for a long-ass time. Nothing major, just horrible shin-splints that never go away unless I totally stop running. I'm going to stick with the 3 runs a week for a while and see how I feel after a month, then maybe alter it. Besides, it gives me two days to go to the gym.

DBS,

Didn't I tell you to go to the Golden Dragon? Now, go.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

Ranger Bill wrote:
How so? Remember, I'm from Alabama before you answer that.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

DixieRat wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:
How so? Remember, I'm from Alabama before you answer that.
But are you a War Eagle fan or Bama Fan? :lol:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:
CHCB wrote: 3-The chronically injured.
Ranger CHCB,

I think I've been in the third category for a long-ass time. Nothing major, just horrible shin-splints that never go away unless I totally stop running. .
Shin splints generally arise from one or more of the following:

Too rapid increase in mileage
Never increase weekly mileage or long run mileage by more than 10% a week

Running on hard surfaces
Grass is better than asphalt is better than concrete. Trail running is, in my opinion, the best. If you can avoid an acute injury early on (like twisting your ankle) trail running is a great way to prevent chronic injury. It's also more interesting, more pleasant, and less dangerus than running roads.

Worn-out running shoes
The shock absorption in your midsole is usually long gone by the time your outsole looks worn. Limit mileage on shoes to 350-500 miles. I have to stick to the low end of that spectrum except when I'm running trails only.

Imbalance in strength between calf muscles and muscle along front of lower leg
If you're cycling as cross-training and you have toe-clips or clipless pedals, just concentrate on applying pressure on the back side of the pedal stroke (the up-stroke). Otherwise, after every run, stand near a table or a wall so you can lean your body back at a 20-30 degree angle while standing. Keeping your heels on the ground, raise your toes toward your shins, then lower them back to the floor, then bring them up again. Set a very high tempo for this action and keep it up until you are forced to stop. Rest for a minute, then repeat.

Biomechanical problems
Overpronation is the usual culprit. While low arches shown in a wet test are the usual means of identifying this problem, it is entirely possible to have very high arches and still be an overpronator (I'm living proof). Don't rely on the wet test. Go to a good running store (if there is a track club or runnng club in town, they'll be able to tell you where one is. Alternatively, tell me where you live in a pm and I'll ask around) and ask the guy to look at your gait. If you're an overpronator, you'll need a motion control shoe. My personal favorite is the Brooks Beast.

If you follow all this advice and still have issues with shin splints (as I did) you'll need to get some custom orthotics made. These can be pricey, however, some combination of the other factors will probably make them unnecessary unless you are a biomechanical mess and/or preparing to run at marathon distance or beyond.

4-
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Splat wrote:Start of Week 5.

APFT Results:

48 Push-Ups (from 35) - Score of 72
45 Sit-Ups (from 32) - Score of 64
17:25:23 2-Mile (from 18:59:55) - Score of 62

Well, not a bad improvement. I'm down to 182 pounds and feel fantastic. I actually enjoy the runs now... which about killed me at first.

I'm dropping below 1600 calories this week and will be running every day vs. every other day. I feel good enough that I'll be able to do alternating distance and time improvement runs.

Great advice from all and I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks.
Those are significant improvements. Put in perspective, you've increased your pushups by 37%, your situps by 40%, and your run by 8%. DOn;t get wrapped around the weight if you are continuing to improve in every area (as Teufelhunde pointed out above).

Remember that if you cut your caloric intake too low, you may experience faster rate of weight loss, but you'll be training your body to be a more efficient fat storing machine.

Read your post above-you've lost weight, you're stronger, you're faster, and you feel great. Don't fuck with that. Incremental losses are the best because they are sustainable!
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

CHCB wrote: Too rapid increase in mileage

Running on hard surfaces

Imbalance in strength between calf muscles and muscle along front of lower leg
Ranger CHCB,

I fall into the above cagetories. In the past, I've always ran as far as I possibly could, ignoring the fact that it wasn't good for my legs. Shin splints are a real bitch, but I've always just stretched, iced, and lived with it. Now, I'm starting all over, from a long break. Hopefully, I'll do what's best for my body instead of what I want to do. So far, I have slight pain. It's not really there until I press on the tender areas or my wife kicks me in the shins after we watch UFC.

Thanks for all the information. You should have your own running forum here.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “About Army Physical Training”