PT

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

edk84 wrote:Has anyone tried the concept that Ranger BadMuther stated of doing push-ups every waking hour everyday? If so, do you recommend it?

I read about this theory on militaryfitness.org, but I have only been doing the first method that Ranger BadMuther mentioned of burning myself out on MWF with push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups.
There are many techniques for doing exercise and BM described one to you. Most of these have to do with how your body recovers and how you make use your time. When I was getting ready to serve, I alternated between TV commercials, doing pushups one break and situps the next. 25 per commercial.

There are innumerable ways to go about increasing the number you can do. Again, this is just another.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Eh Devilrat I am in the same boat as you man, actually I started pretty bad off. When I started doing PT in december, I was only able to do like 10 pushups without rest, now I can do almost 40 no rest ( still needs a whole lot of work). But what I am saying is but I have just been doing pushups every other night dont really count though I just do them untill I cant even do female pushups. I count every other pushup day that way I can sorta see progress of like 2 or 3 pushups a week...once again I would take the word of the Rangers though they are far more expirenced then me...just my input
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Another good trick is doing pushups on dumbells. With some 25's or heavier (for the height) you get your chest to go alllllll the way down. After doing those for a few weeks, switch to regular pushups, they'll feel like nothing.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Yeah I bought some pushup bars those things are great half the pushups twice the burn. I do them with my feet elevated, thats some fun stuff, also try doing a few pushups with your ruck on see how that feels. :lol: its fun let me tell ya!!!
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

devilrat35 wrote:
edk84 wrote:Has anyone tried the concept that Ranger BadMuther stated of doing push-ups every waking hour everyday? If so, do you recommend it?

I read about this theory on militaryfitness.org, but I have only been doing the first method that Ranger BadMuther mentioned of burning myself out on MWF with push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups.
I tried it for a couple days but just started doing muscle failure 3 days out of the week (1 day inbetween to rest) because at work sometimes I have to do just that, and don't get the opportunity to knock out 25 every hour. Just those two days though did increase my pushup score slightly, went from 33 to 36 in 2 min.
poodleskirt-

There are a lot of methods to increase your pushups. M-W-F is fine for a lot of folks who want to maintain or slightly build.

Pushups every hour on the hour every waking day is a pretty big mental challenge. (DEPers) You have to analyze your level of physical fitness and design a program from there.

In your case poodleskirt, 2 months really isn't that much time to prepare. If 25 on the hour is too much, do 25 every 4 hours. Or something else that works for you. What about this? M-W-F start out doing the max amount of pushups that you can. This will give you a way to gauge if you are improving. Then throughout the day on M-W-F, do 25 pushups at least every 4 hours, or whenever you think about it. You HAVE to increase your ability to do pushups in order to pass RIP.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to help. Think of it like this, 60% to pass the PT test for RIP is 42 pushups. What this means is that you should should be able to complete at least 52-57 pushups in order to make the 42 pushup mark. Why? They may not count all your pushups. If you fall flat on your face at number 44, you are going to be in trouble.

DEPs, my advice on fitness is not the word of God. My buddy is a personal trainer and a PT God. I've been interested in bodybuilding/nutrition/exercise all my life. So I've read a lot of shit. Combining that with my time as a Ranger, and my experience in exercising, and I know I can help you little fuckers out.

Read, and educate yourselves. Use your noggin when reading, there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

The info I give out here is a guide. Find out what works best for you, everybody is different. Just don't fall into the trap of just lifting weights and thinking that is enough to prepare you for all the pushups, pullups, situps, running and rucking that you will do in the Army.

Now do pushups, you are spending too much time on the computer!!!
Bell

Post by Bell »

For all you fellas that think yer doing good......

Getting in shape is a bitch. The more ya do the more it takes to get ya better. The last 3-5 pushups are the ones that are doing ya good. That's why you go to failure. Those last couple of reps are the ones that build ya.

I went into the army able to do 100 pushups in a row. During Airborne school I could do 50 4-count pushups pretty easy. I don't have a clue how many total I could do. Pushups is boring as hell.

I used to watch TV and do 10 pushups every commercial during high school. I worked it up to 25 then started doing pushups through the whole commercial. Makes ya realize that there's a lot of commercials toward the end of the show. hahahahha.

Find something that works for you but do something and push to failure. It's those last few that's doing any good.

RLTW
Bell
August-O TwentyFive-O

Post by August-O TwentyFive-O »

I knock out push-ups at night before I hit the sack and when I get up in the morning..then I do about 20 to 30 puch-ups between commericals. Mind you I have rest days, but it seems to work for me if you want to try it go ahead

A-O-25-O
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

There are numerous ways to improve your pushups and just doing plain old pushups isn't the only way. There are a lot of factors you have to throw in when doing pushups.

Tricep stability
Body form
Chest strength
Tricep strength
Overall core strength.

Numerous ways to improve in all these areas.

To improve tricep stability, ie your stablizer muslces, I would reccomend doing negatives on the bench press at all angles (straight, decline, incline). When I say negatives you raise the bar and slowly let it come back down. This will greatly improve the muslces that help you keep stabilized when resting inbetween reps and overall endurance.

To pefect your body form, there are a few things you can practice. One, get in the habit of looking straight ahead when doing push ups. This is to keep your body straight. Secondly. lower back exercises and swimming will help keep your back strengthed to lessen the chance of "sagging" in the middle.

Chest strength can obviously be done by doing pushups. If you wanna raise your ceiling though, I would advise doing all sorts of chest exercises. I mainly do mine on Hammer Strength machines which I find to be a very reliable and well rounded brand of work out machinery. Most gyms have these to begin with. I find that straight press, decline, incline and butterflies all help in these areas.

Tricep strength can easily be worked out in several ways. You want to make sure you're working both the lower tricep and upper tricpe. Lower tricep can be strengthened by doing nose busters and upper by doing tricep pull down.

Most important of all is increasing your core strength. Anyone with extensive education in physical fitness will tell you the core of your body is the most important part to maintain and strength. This relates somewhat to your stability while doing pushups. Medecine balls are your friend. Do all types of pushups with medicine balls. Diamonds, wide arm, regular and one arm. You can also try throwing a ball behind your feet and balancing your hole body on three balls while doing pushups. These are tough to get used to, but once you do, you'll see a significant improvement in pushups and stability.

For quite sometime I was lead to believe that just doing pushups was the only way to get better. Well after doing hundreds a day and not being able to reach more than high 80's on an APFT I was soon introduced to our local battalion physical trainer. Through his advice, which I just shared with you, I've raised my ceiling to the high 90's and still maintain it till this day.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
August-O TwentyFive-O

Post by August-O TwentyFive-O »

Ranger deleon Thanks for your information I wrote it down and will add it to my pt program
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Yeah, you do that. In fact, start knockin' em out right now....till I get tired. I'll let you know.... :evil:

Return to “About Army Physical Training”