Ray80 sends more tips for DEPs

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Earthpig
Ranger

Ray80 sends more tips for DEPs

Post by Earthpig »

I received four letters from OSUT today. Here is the first one, from Ray80. It is in a diary-type format. As usual, this stud is 110% concerned about passing on useful information to the DEPs who haven't shipped yet. DEPs, you guys owe this dude a beer. Damn, I like this guy....he even volunteers for shit!
RLTW
EP
11/6 Ranger EarthPig,

Thanks for writing earlier in the month. OSUT is challenging, but still basic. I'm only in Weeks 5 & 6 as I write this, but I wanted to share more info with the guys waiting to ship.

I just qualified with the M-16. I only shot a 27/40. I ain't lying; I struggled through BRM, big time! I struggled because I failed to master getting the same point of aim every time. I got up early every day and practiced on the simulator. A week later, I was shooting with no problems. I found that shooting was easy, as long as you do what the fuck they tell you to.

I'm writing this from the M-249 range now, on Weapons Guard. We had a 6 mile roadmarch today. It was tough, but only because I got stuck behind stragglers, who pissed off the cadre, which turned it into a "rucksack fun run." It sucked.

11/8 Ranger EarthPig,

We fired the M240B today. I have to say, I shot better with the M-249 SAW.

I have to get this out there now, DEPs. Don't write letters during your personal time. Write from the range. After shooting usually comes hours of weapons maintenance. Write home while waiting for everyone else to get a GO! Also, volunteer for Weapons Guard. You will eat last, but will get the most food.

11/18 Ranger EarthPig,

We shot the M-16 again, this time at night, using PVS-14's (night observation) and PAS-K4's (laser sighting) at moving targets. It was easy...like shooting without sights. Just get the laser on the bitch and yell, "Die, insurgent, die!"

We also bivouacked. Found out who the pussies of the platoon were, when they stood by the fire, instead of pulling security. I had no snivel gear on. It pissed off the DS. My Battle Buddy went on sick call, as a cold weather casualty, which meant I had to front load his ruck. That sucked.

We practice with CLO's (Close Combat Optics). They work awesome! So DEP's, read everything you can on the M-249, M-240, PVS-14's, PAK-4's, and the M-203. I didn't, and felt unprepared. Run a Google search on TRADOC Pamphlet 600-4 and download the IET Handbook. It is OSUT. It's part of the uniform for the first few weeks in the Army. Oh, yeah.

Last letter, I was struggling maintaining muscle mass and strength. Well, the secret is this: MILK. You may have as much as you like, but within reason. I usually take a quart a day. Now my strength is up. As you might guess, you use a lot of calories in OSUT. A lot of guys go for tasty stuff. I go for calories, which are posted on the D-FAC wall.

11/19 We did high-crawling, low-crawling, 5-second rushes, and combat rolls. If you think you are in shape, do individual movement for awhile. It got us sucking.

11/20 Ranger EarthPig,

We got put back on Total Control yesterday. Our platoon was embarassed. One guy left his weapon on the ground after chow and got our company smoked out in the cold. We had just taken down our bivouac site, marched out to another location, and set up again. During that smoking, two guys screwed off and the smoke continued for another hour. You will find that your platoon will piss you off and get you fired as a squad leader or platoon guide, due to their antics. I'm not in the student chain of command because of this.

That same day, we handed out 4 field grade Article 15's and up to 3 more company grade Article 15's. They were for contraband and sneaking food from the D-FAC. It got the entire student chain of command fired, so I am without anyone to lead.

11/21 We did a lot yesterday. We started with a 4-mile run. People not yelling cadence were frowned upon. We did pugil stick fighting, as well as ground fighting, so you see your cover a lot during OSUT. I believe that it all starts on Day 1. We have lost 3 or 4 Ranger contracts already, at Week 5/6. Another thing about pugil stick fighting: just because you're a 285-300 APFT'er doesn't mean you'll kick everyone's ass. Study dominant body position, passing the guard, and arm bars. At least familiarize yourself with that stuff. I didn't and feel myself dishonoring my roster number.

As stated, we have an 8 mile roadmarch tomorrow. I have an idea to be Road Guard for one reason:you, as a front Road Guard, will set the pace for your platoon, by keeping distance with another platoon or the CO. It means you will not get stuck behind stragglers. I'll write more after I mess up my feet.

Ray
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good SITREP Ray. Don't get down on yourself, this is a learning process. Stay Focused and keep driving on.

Thanks for the post EP.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Thanks for the letters Ray80! There really seems to be a ton of great info in them.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!

Return to “Letters from School”