It doesn't pay to steal from a RANGER . . .

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bama_Ranger
Ranger

It doesn't pay to steal from a RANGER . . .

Post by Bama_Ranger »

I hope this is the right forum for this story. It's a true story, but it is pretty funny...from a certain perspective. In fact, some old 2/75 guys may recall the incident. Over on the SOCNET 75th Ranger forum, someone posted a thread about the old B 2/75 barracks (Bldg 3470) being torn down recently. That started B Co Rangers reminiscing about the old homestead and someone started a conversation about the various uses of the ledges under the windows on the upper floors of the buildings. This story was my contribution to the discussion:

Around '78 or '79, we had a barracks thief that was ripping folks off. Up to that point in 2/75 history such a thing was unheard of. In fact, it was accepted that you could leave valuables of any kind, wallet, cash, watch, you name it, laying out in the open, with your door unlocked, and NO ONE would touch it; period. That's just the way it was. Well, things started turning up missing, and soon it became apparent that we had a thief in B Co. 1SG John Henry Voyles called a special formation to address the matter. He said: "Rangers, we have a thief in this company; a barracks thief; the lowest form of life on the face of the earth; the lowest slime that ever crawled out from under a rock. I want him Rangers. I WANT HIM BAD! FIND HIM RANGERS! Bring him to me, preferably with BROKE ARMS."

We had just received a new batch of "rippies" just prior to the beginning of the thefts, and most of us suspected one of them, but there was no proof. A plan developed. The next weekend, on Saturday night, an ambush was set. The door to one of the rooms on the second floor was left unlocked, a large sum of cash was left laying on a desk in plain view, and about a BUNCH of Rangers hid in a room a few doors down the hall, with a couple of cases of beer, and be began to wait...and drink. One member of the ambush crawled out on the ledge, walked along it to the room where the trap was laid and established surveilance on the objective through a crack in the curtains.

The Ranger pulling surveilance was relieved by a Ranger buddy every 15 minutes throughout the night. Late in the evening (it might have been the wee hours of the morning, I wasn't part of the operation personally) the door to the room opened and the thief appeared; spied the bait and headed directly for it. Sure enough, it was one of the the new guys out of RIP. The Ranger on surveilance ran back down the ledge and alerted the assault element which poured from their hide site, in a drunken rage, and met the startled thief as he exited the room. What followed was a level of violence easily sufficient to get the event an R rating had it been filmed. The thief was pounded into a quivering pulp and dragged semi-concious down the stairs to the CQ, who immediately called the CO and 1SG. Upon arrival they had the battered Ranger wannabe picked up by the MPs and hauled off to the stockade.

Yeah...if only the ledges on old 3470 could talk, the stories they could tell. :mrgreen:
RLTW - JP

Ranger Class 4-78
B 2/75, WPNS PLT
A 3/75,1ST PLT
3rd Ranger Co, TSB, Camp Darby

"Ranger, what's the maximum effective range of an excuse?" - Ranger NCO
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: It doesn't pay to steal from a RANGER . . .

Post by KW Driver »

ledges... 3rd BN's barracks were the same style and vintage as the ABN barracks. maybe a 6" ledge to work off of. nothing like those superhighways 2nd BN had until recently.

during a Platoon internal, Squad v Squad fight it never failed. we'd brief a hallway ambush. "we're grabbing X, and pulling him into this room." security sectors would be assigned, generally senoir PVTs gettting door security, the tabs laying pain on the poor fucker, and the cherry PVT would always get the window. no, we fucking mean it. don't let any of those motherfuckers in the window, or we're going to smoke your ass! I don't give a shit that we're on the 3rd floor. you've got the easiest job here, just fucking do it, cause someone will try to come through it.

never failed... every good breach, and mission failure/full on squad brawl came through a window, dumbass PVT gets sucking into watching them helping the action in the room, then 4 other dudes are in and working the door... and two squads are getting it on in a room.

the PLT v PLT hallway fights were better though. funny how the privates understood guarding the stairwell behind us, but not the window behind us.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”