General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Female Special Operators Now in Combat

Post by garyedolan »

Female Special Operators Now in Combat

June 29, 2011 |by Christian Lowe

Army Special Operations Command has deployed its first teams of female Soldiers assigned to commando units in
Afghanistan, and military officials are assessing their initial performance in theater as "off the charts."

In a controversial move early this year, the Army created a new avenue for women to serve with front-line combat
units in some of the most specialized and covert missions. The so-called "Cultural Support Teams" are attached
to Special Forces and Ranger units to interface with the female population to gain vital intelligence and provide
social outreach.

"When I send an [SF team] in to follow up on a Taliban hit … wouldn't it be nice to have access to about 50 percent
of that target population -- the women?" said Maj. Gen. Bennet Sacolick, commander of the Army Special Warfare
Center and School, which runs the CST program.

"And now we're doing that with huge success," Sacolick said. "They are in Afghanistan right now and the reviews
are off the charts. They're doing great."

So far, nearly 30 of the female CST Soldiers are deployed to the war zone, working in villages and towns that the
commandos have cleared.

"They're supposed to be used on secure target areas," Sacolick said. "I don't want them fighting their way to a target."

While the Army has assigned women to front-line units in the past during searches of female civilians and detainees,
the move by USASOC formalizes what some advocates have been hoping for in terms of opening up combat arms
units to women.

The Soldiers assigned to the Cultural Support Teams aren't required to endure all the training of a Ranger or SF
trooper, but they do have to learn advanced weapons handling and even fast-roping. Through three separate
nine-day assessments so far, the Special Warfare Center and School has about a 50 percent attrition rate,
officials say. Those who make it go through a six-week training course that teaches the Soldiers regional culture,
intelligence gathering and small-unit combat tactics, officials say.

"I place less emphasis on the immediate physical standards," Sacolick said. "What I don't compromise on is intellect.
I'm looking for smart kids."

Though USASOC will consider female Soldiers -- NCOs and junior officers -- from any MOS, they are especially
interested in those from healthcare career fields, including nurse midwife (66G8D), as well as military police and
military intelligence, according to the perquisites and requirements detailed on the Army Special Operations
Command website.

The Special Warfare Center plans to run its next assessment for CST members in early September, officials say.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Female Special Operators Now in Combat

Post by Jim »

There have been a couple selections conducted. Most CST members have been from CA/PSYOPS units. Thankfully this is not an MOS-specific mission; but significant training is conducted prior to deployment.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Yeah that will work out just fine :roll: . Look I am all for the gals doing their part but combat will never happen, its crazy to even think. I will never forget my limited experiences with females while I was in. One was in Panama after the invasion when MPs came in to provide support on Tocumen Afld. Scary, scary shit! Then when I was the Platoon leader in PLDC. While checking my perimeter I find a grunt "assholes and elbows" digging in his fighting position. When I asked him where the fuck his security was he said "she's in her tent". So I go to investigate as to why the heck this "elite military operator" isn't pulling security while her Ranger Buddy is digging in. She promptly informs me that she has "cramps" :? :roll: :x Then on our roadmarch back from the field problem the females were given the option of "rucking" OR "Gettin' on the truck". Every last one.....got on the truck. Same pay, same job, different standards.

All this BS will do is LOWER the standards, which really is already pretty week (IMHO) and get good men (and someone's daughter) killed. Of course with the new "Lets' fully assimilate the Ass Bandits and Carpet Munchers" policies of Obumma, its all just a matter of time anyways. God Bless those still serving!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Weidert wrote: if you have a 200 pound guy carrying 100 pounds of gear there aren't very many women who are going to be able to drag them off if they got injured.

There aren't ANY. Period. Show me one, just one. I have been to some weightlifting events, seen some very strong women........ never seen one who could throw me and my ruck over her shoulder and move out smartly. Soon as I see that, hell I'm all in.

As for their service, they are kicking ass and taking names.... NO DOUBTS! Lets just not get too stupid.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Richard Cranium wrote:
colt1rgr wrote: Of course with the new "Lets' fully assimilate Carpet Munchers" policies of Obumma, its all just a matter of time anyways. God Bless those still serving!
Hey! Wait just a damn minute Ranger! I was a carpet muncher before I joined in '96 and I'll be one until my tongue stops working or I die. Don't judge me! 8)

Yeah me too! :wink: Different standards AND OBJs :lol: 8)

packmule
Ranger

Post by packmule »

TWAT- tactical woman assault team
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

All 69W's I hope!!

69W (Field whore, 1ea !) ( )<---- insert horney smiley here.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “The Mosh Pit”