Downhill slide

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Struk
Future Soldier

Downhill slide

Post by Struk »

Rangers, it seems I've been on a downhill slide since I started doing push-ups 3 weeks ago. I've been applying some Ranger advice to go to failure and then drop to knees and finish up.

I started at:
30 Push-Ups
68 Sit-Ups
13:02 minutes for the 2 mile run.
I had zero training regimen before this, push-ups for occasional fun but not more than on a bi-weekly basis. I was a runner and backpacker, therefore the 2 mile time.

My situps dipped for a little while and increased to 75
My 2 mile run is still near there at 12:55
My pushups have severely degraded and I am not sure whether it has been due to stricter compliance to form or taking the last week off due to primarily hiking the surrounding mountains but I am down to 15 pushups at muscle failure today. I have no clue what the issue is and I've never experienced anything like it before, any ideas on why this is or what I should be doing in terms of training?
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Downhill slide

Post by colt1rgr »

Sounds to me like a good case of overdoing it. You have to rest, that means allow the muscles to recover. When you overtrain a muscle group they will break down and performance will dip. You have to take a few days off completely, maybe even a week and work some other muscle groups (pull ups would be good).

As for your running if you repeatedly run 2 miles your gonna get minor improvements. Shoot for a modest 30 miles a week. Long slow run, short fast run, medium slow run, one day of intervals (1/4 sprints, fartleks, uphill sprints etc), Long slow run and then take a day and REST. With endurance speed will come, its inevitable, as long as its not running like old cripple Rangers :lol:

A good readily digestible carbohydrate prior to training and a good low fat protein after. Remember to properly hydrate at all times. Hydration will also directly negate good gains.

Keep a log book of your training, dates times, reps etc. Also "mileage" ran per week. Always attempt to increase weekly mileage even if modestly and log it. Those weeks when you fall short it will be right there to look at and it will motivate you to push harder.

Train hard, but train smart. Good luck!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"

Return to “About Army Physical Training”