Push-up form check

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
ninjaman
Tadpole

Push-up form check

Post by ninjaman »

Hello Rangers. I have posted this picture of the starting, middle, and ending positions of my push-up for your criticism and feedback.

The only issue I have noticed is that my butt seems a bit high especially at the bottom, but I didn't know if this just might be the natural curvature of my lumbar. I've tried dropping my butt but this only results in my stomach and hips sagging.

It feels most natural when I do it this way (my abs are tight, everything feels in line), but I thought that I should run it by the Rangers of this site for criticism. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Romans 3:23-25

" 23 all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God.
24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed."
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Re: Push-up form check

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Your body must generally stay in a straight line, ie, your ass can't be sticking up or sagging.

Your form looks O.K.

Work on the following:

Focus- Keep your head up. Focus on a spot 10 or so feet on the ground in front of you. It will help you keep your body straight.

In the up- ALWAYS start with your arms locked out in the up position, and lock your arms out EACH time you come up.

In the down- Touch your chest. EVERY time. Not your belly, but your chest.

Hand position:

Width- The closer your hands are together, the more difficult the repetition will be because you will be using a lot of tricep. Triceps are tiny, and fatigue rapidly. The wider your hands are the better, as you will be able to use more of your lats and chest. Lats and chest are bigger and do not fatigue rapidly. Experiment with different widths and try to feel the difference in the muscle groups you use. You want to use the widest distance possible.

Ass vs. Head- Experiment with hand placement even to your shoulders, further toward your head, and further toward your ass. You will find that you can isolate the larger muscle groups further toward your head, and you will burn out smaller groups further toward your ass.

In closing..........

FORM is more effective and important than repetitions. ALWAYS emphasize and execute using good form.

The push up is an excellent exercise to develop functional strength and endurance BESIDES being an Army fitness requirement.

Keep at it.
ninjaman
Tadpole

Re: Push-up form check

Post by ninjaman »

Thank you for your feedback Ranger Dan. I will keep working on my form.
Romans 3:23-25

" 23 all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God.
24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed."

Return to “About Army Physical Training”