Parachutist Lands In Army Band

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Parachutist Lands In Army Band

Post by Flesh Thorn »

(AP) A parachutist went off course Thursday at the start of a military review and dropped feet-first into the 1st Infantry Division's band, injuring three players.

Several thousand people watched as the man under the red, white and blue parachute landed on the 30-member band, about 50 yards off target. A gasp went up from the crowd, followed by silence as at least a dozen people rushed over to help.

"I hear, 'Oh, expletive,' and immediately, I hear a crash,'" said the band's commander, Chief Warrant Officer Scott MacDonald.

The three injured band members were treated and released from Irwin Army Community Hospital. The parachutist, Scott Hallock, refused treatment at the scene.

"We know that they're going to be all right," said Gen. Charles Campbell, head of the Army's Forces Command, during opening remarks.

Two tubas were destroyed, said Mike Keating, assistant chief of the post's Fire Department. MacDonald said a trumpet was also damaged.

MacDonald said band members had been standing, waiting for the start of the ceremony and weren't looking up. He said they didn't hear anything except a brief rustling of the jumper's parachute.

He hit the back row, landing feet first, MacDonald said.

Band member Sgt. Rachel Boggs was knocked unconscious and had a fractured jaw, hospital spokeswoman Lisa Medrano said. Sgt. Andrew Spinazzolla suffered minor neck and head injuries and had a fractured ankle, Medrano said. Staff Sgt. Mark Lucero sustained what Medrano called a minor leg injury.

Two parachutists jumped from a single-engine plane at about 6,000 feet. Keating said the second jumper's parachute lines apparently became tangled, pulling him off course.

MacDonald said he wondered briefly whether he had enough members left to perform.

"We did soldier on," he said. The band played the division's and the Army's fight songs, then sounded a trumpet cavalry charge.

Full Story
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Saw the video of that on last night's TV news.
Pretty cool - the jumper drove straight on into the mass of musicians, who were all standing at attention, oblivious to the jumpers size 11 boots about to flatten the 2d tuba...
'airborne bowling' sums it up pretty well. bandsman on their faces in every direction.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on July 19th, 2008, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
coldsteal2
Veteran: US Army/US Navy

Post by coldsteal2 »

:D OOPS!

I think they just saw thier first real Combat
SGT USArmy Retired/Disabled
B 1/44 ADA 9th ID Ft Lewis 88-91 16R10 Vulcan Gunner
31M 63rd ARCOM 88 Oceanside CA
also
RM2 USN 1983-1988
NAVCOMMSTA SD 84-86
32nd ST NAVSTA 86-87
USS Merrill DD 976 86-87
NAS PENSACOLA Naval Aircrewman 87-88
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

See Hit it ......could be worse.... :lol:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

HALO-I saw a AF CCT guy land after a bunch of us from 1st and 2nd Bn jumped in Big Springs Texas running w/ the wind into the front 1/4 of a Ford Bronco. Got up right away, put his hands and arms out as if to say"oh well", then took a nap. Good recovery, though it didn't last. Hope they had the extra rental ins.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Parachutist Lands In Army Band

Post by rgrokelley »

Tater Nuts wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:(AP)
"I hear, 'Oh, expletive,' and immediately, I hear a crash,'" said the band's commander, Chief Warrant Officer Scott MacDonald.

Full Story
Must not have been a Ranger, they would have said "Oh, Shit". :lol:
Hmmm... A Ranger, with a tuba. :?

I would agree, must not have been a Ranger
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Back in the mid-80s we sent some jumpers to Rhode Island for the RI ARNG SF parachute competition. One of the guys from our contingent did an outstanding PLF on the hood of a Volvo and right through the windshield.

:twisted:
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

It won't be long before some jackass decides that the band should get hazardous duty pay.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
archangel
Tadpole

Post by archangel »

I was in that ceremony. Same guy landed in the flags the day before. They left us standing at parade rest for the time it took to get the guys evaced. Couldnt watch but you could hear the guy slipping towards the band then "AGHHHH" WHAM! I dont think Ill forget the 1 ID CSM beating feet across the parade field. What a day...all for one mans Im so great fest.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

I hope that the piccolo was present and accounted for after that mess.
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Did the skin flute player get injured?
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

rgrokelley wrote:
Hmmm... A Ranger, with a tuba. :?

Uhhhh, altho I haven't touched one since, I was in the UW Marching Band my first two years of college, was regarded as the "shortest tuba player in the Big Ten"
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

JohnDowland wrote:I hope that the piccolo was present and accounted for after that mess.
Brings to mind an incident in college involving a large Brooklyn piccolo player and the entire tuba section at a UW football game in the 60s.............................oh, the humanity.......................
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Two tubas were destroyed, said Mike Keating, assistant chief of the post's Fire Department. MacDonald said a trumpet was also damaged.
I can't help but laugh... Let's see two tubas and a trumpet hmmmm... $350,000 damage. Well if one takes note of the $16,000 F-16 screw driver then this may be about right.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “The News Dump”