Help about DEP

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Manning
Egg

Help about DEP

Post by Manning »

I'm starting college in a few months but plan on entering the Army after college. I've heard about DEP but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Could someone give me some information on what DEP is compared to just a normal enlistment? Or are they the same?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

DEP = Delayed Entry Program. I don't think that many people actually pack their bags, go down to sign up and off they go.

Instead, they go in, talk to a recruiter about what job they want, take an ASVAB test to insure their desired training and job matches their capabilities.

Next, go down to take a physical and other testing to continue the process of insuring your capabilities match your desire for a specific job. Lastly, see a counselor who can access a database containing job availability and openings to schedule a class start date and departure date.

Many times the delay between when you sign your contract and when you depart for training is in excess of three months. Occassonally, it is in excess of six months. Usually, it is somewhere in between.

When SSG Plavney sees this, or some of you young men who are on DEP at the moment, feel free to provide some more definitive remarks on the subject.
Chris__88
Egg

Post by Chris__88 »

I was also wondering about this. I really was just planning to go down there and sign up. Are there any benefits of going DEP?
metal66272
Egg

Post by metal66272 »

I have been in the DEP for 7-8 months now and I leave in one more month. It has been a great advantage to me. I was lucky enough to get a great recruiter who takes me out running every two weeks and we do a killer PT session. Also, it has given me time to do the basic infantry correspondence course and I now know all the ranks, general orders, phonetic alphabet, landnav, and hell, even the entire ranger creed.

The DEP has prepared me beyond belief and has made me that much more motivated to succeed when I get to my goals!
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

Is there a way to enlist but make it so you dont leave for like a couple months? I'm going to join after highschool but I want to get a ranger contract and I don't know if I'll be in good enough shape to make it through RIP.
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

you could always join now while in high school, or during your senior year, which is pretty much a joke compared to junior year, and then just work your ass of during the school year to prepare yourself to go.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”