Before you waste everyone's time....

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Nice post Marine LN. I've been rucking with a Duluth pack for about a month now using Kitty litter (garbage bags to hold it in). I got into rucking few years ago in order to get prepared for portaging (YMCA camp). Was big into portaging canoes and Duluth packs on month trips around the greak lakes and boundry waters (I Live in Minnesota) untill it got too expensive.

My backpacking tips:
Double check your packing and make sure nothing pointy is sticking in your back, hard to rearrange your pack midway through trip.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate before leaving, when I was doing those trips every year we would have one or two people who thought it would be ok to go w/o water while sweating liters at a time. They'd get massive headaches and muscle cramping at the worst possible time.

Marine LN, Packing is certainly not the funnest of things to do, but it's a little bit easier if you do it around a park or somewhere thats nice to keep your mind off of the weight :)

ps- do you ruck up an incline or tend to stay on a flat surface for the most of your ruck?

Biggest pains I get rucking are in the knees.
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
MPC
Tadpole

Post by MPC »

I had my first introduction to humping this summer, spent three weeks backpacking on and around the Appalachian Trail. Mostly in the White Mountains (New Hampshire), and eastern Maine. It was an asskicker to say the least. Different than roadmarching I'm sure due to the slower pace and lesser distances, the thousands of feet in elevation change each day, and the rough terrain helped make up for it though :evil:. We carried about 70lbs and averaged around 10 miles per day.

I was pretty lucky, this was my first time doing any serious backpacking, was able to avoid getting any serious blisters. Just wore liner socks, then wool, and well broken in civi boots. Friend ended up getting a hernia, due to an injury that occured before the trip, near the end of the trip, he sucked it up and hiked down five miles in the rain to the nearest trailhead.

The only thing worse than going uphill was knowing that eventually you would have to go down again, downhill is fucking rough on the knees. The trail can be pretty steep in some areas.

Got some experience with a couple different land nav techniques too, nothing too advanced. Just finding out where the fuck you are on the map and how to use a compass, etc.

Its a good way to lose weight too, think I lost 15lbs on the trip, you eat less when you have to carry it on your back heh.

I plan to start roadmarching early this spring, concentrating on improving my running for now through xcountry and indoor track.
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

I agree, humping weight down hills is not fun :x
as for the weight loss, many people in our group lost over 10 lbs, some of it water weight but alot of it leasure weight.

Normal socks you say? we each had two pairs of wool socks, one dries out while the other is in use. I only got one blister on that trip and it required lancing after the third day, but happy feet for the rest of the trip 8) (was wearing not too broken in hiking boots)

Anybody ever been backpacking around Yellowstone? was supposed to go with my father this summer but...thats another story.
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Listen to Leatherneck, kids; you might as well get used to the 'suck' aspect of rucksacking. It never really gets any easier, except in your mind. It's true, that like all forms of physical exertion, you do develope 'mission specific' muscle-groups. The mental side of a ruck movement can take its toll on you no matter how in shape you are, however. When there is nothing to distract you, it becomes very difficult to ignore the pain. The more you perseverate on it, the 'louder' it becomes in your head. You will learn to go to your 'happy place' really fast; or die trying. Or quit. :twisted:
Happy trails.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Required weight in RIP is 35lbs on the 12 mile roadmarch, but I wouldn't expect to carry that much ever again. I think the last time I went I had a solid fifty with me, that was exciting. The straps were loose too, and we ran part of the last 2 miles. What fun that was. Always keep that ruck tight (within an intelligent limit) and high up on your back. I usually keep it about an inch or so over my shoulders, makes it "more comfortable" if that's even possible. Just take care of your feet men, and everything will be just fine. If your feet go down the shitter, you're in some trouble. If your legs hurt... just quit being a pussy. And if you don't get blood blisters.. you might as well keep going because your feet aren't going to get hard at that rate =p. Im kidding.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Scout78
Ranger

Post by Scout78 »

I have been out rucking for the past couple of months usually once or twice a week. The first couple of times I set out, the weight on my shoulders was different, but after about mile 3-4 not a problem.

I take a 45lbs dumbell and a gallon jug of water on most rucks. I have learned to be ready for things you dont expect, like a strap coming undone on mile 4, 5, or 6 and having to stop, readjust and then make up for the lost time. Also, trying to readjust the pack back to its first position usually never works out, but once you get going you forget about it.

I have also started recently to walk backwards up hills and inclines to increase strength in shins and hamstrings. I know it might sound crazy, but give it a try.

The footwear I use while rucking are my hunting boots. I wear Danner Sequoia's and have had them for a few years, so they are broken in really well and I have had little problems with my feet.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”