Getting out of the chair...

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Splat
Ranger

Getting out of the chair...

Post by Splat »

First... This is just a post for me to keep track of my progress. It also keeps me honest and doesn't allow me to cheat myself.

Second... DEPS STFU. I don't want any DEP comments or a fucking critique from you. Just pay attention. This is what happens to you when you allow yourself to get soft and your constitution to weaken.

I have been giving serious consideration to re-joining the Army as a medic for about 2 years now. I have two things holding me back, right now.

1. Financial: I make 6 figures and some change. I spend 6 figures and some change. I'd have to junk my credit again to enlist. The type of skills that I have are computer related and I'm sure that I could maintain them over the next 10 to 14 years (that would get me around retirement age) to go back into that type of work.

It's financial suicide... but the alternative is to live this bitter life as a fucking civilian. We all posted about how we would have never gotten out... we'll I'm still young and I'd love to take another stab at it.

I'm not saying that I will go back in, but it gives me the motivation that I need to achieve the goals that I have initially set.

I've talked to Hit_It about this in the past. It's still out there kicking me in the back of the head, Brother.

2. Physical: I'm a fucking marshmallow. Not horribly out of shape... just not any where near where I would need to be. Especially as a Ranger who is excpected to set the standard.. not meet the standard.

I am 36 years old, 6'1" tall, and I weigh 185 lbs. Like I said, I have been sitting on my ass for the last 12 years. I got out in 1994 and have been in a desk job since.

My first goal is to 'pass' the APFT for my age group. I know.. it's a damn shame. I have to start somewhere.

The standards as last posted on the usarec site:

26 Push-ups / 2 Minutes
34 Sit-ups / 2 Minutes
18:48 Two-Mile Run

I just started working out and running over the past two weeks. I bought a bowflex and have been doing as much as I can in the hotel room / weight room.

As a traveling consultant, it is difficult to get a consistent routine going. Not to mention the free beer and food. Ah.. the temptation. Guinness and wings....

First APFT will be Monday, June 12th.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Bro, I say go for it if you still hear the calling.

I would hate to think how you would be financially, but I'm your brother and if YOU want to do it, then I want you to do it 100%.

Good luck on this APFT Monday. I know you'll pass, just how well you're going to pass is the question.

Start streamlining the budget now, make sure you start paying everything off. then you should be okay for a fresh start on a more constrained cost of living.

We'll talk in MOJO, I'm sure this will come up. 8)
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Start of Week 3.

APFT Results:

35 Push-Ups - Score of 59
32 Sit-Ups - Score of 48 (FAIL)
18:59:55 2-Mile - Score of 48 (FAIL)

:roll:

As hard as this is to lay out here in the open, it sure does motivate me to do better. I, honestly, can't believe how much of a marshmallow I've turned into.

If you DEPS are reading this, I would encourage you to post similar status updates prior to your departure date. Don't let that date creep up on you and catch you with your gut hanging over your belt. Even if you are in shape, put yourself to the test. Be honest. Just don't fuck up my thread. Start your own.

I was sure that I needed to work on the push-ups. The sit-ups caught me off guard. I was ticking along (not bouncing, Sarn't) and BAM!.. no mo' juice in the engine. Couldn't make it up into a rest position at about 1:20 into it.

The run fuckin' sucked. That was about my 7th time running in 12 years. I'll be running every day now. Going to pack my running shoes and stay out of the bar after work.

I've got a long road ahead. Next APFT will be in 2 weeks. Need time to improve both my stamina and my weak scores.

" .... I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong.... "

GRITS, help me.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You got this, brother.

I was supposed to run twice this weekend since my block leave started.

I stayed shacked up and drunk off that piss water the whole time.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Thanks for the encouragement, Sarn't.

I'm still digging around for all that Intestinal Fortitude packed away in a D-bag somewhere. :lol:
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Splat wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, Sarn't.

I'm still digging around for all that Intestinal Fortitude packed away in a D-bag somewhere. :lol:
When you find it, you might have to share it with me.

We'll call it consoldiate and reorganize. :wink:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Tips for improving your run (without sacrificing your joints)

Rather than run every day, run 3 days a week (every other day, with one 2 day break).

Those three runs broken down this way:

Overdistance: A long, easy run. If you have a heart rate monitor, do this run between 70 and 80% of max heart rate. If you don't have an HRM, use the talk test. AT the correct pace, your should JUST be able to keep up a conversation. You should feel that if you ran ANY harder, you'd have to stop talking. Don't even look at your pace, just focus on staying in that range. Whatever your long run is now, add one mile to it each week.

Tempo: This is steady state, high intensity run. If you have an HRM, you should warm up for 8-10 minutes, then run 10-20 minutes at 80-90% of max heart rate, then coold down for 5-8 minutes. If you don't have an HRM, take your last 2 mile run time, and add about 15-30 seconds a mile to the pace. This should feel hard, but not all out.

Intervals: Start with 400s (quarter miles). Take your last APFT 2 mile run time, divide it by 8 (obtaining your average speed per quarter) chop 4 seconds per mile off that. This is your target pace for your work intervals. NOw, warm up for 8-10 minutes, ending at the start of a measured quarter mile. Attempt to run that quarter within 2 seconds, + or -, of your target. The first one should not feel like an all out effort, it should be hard, but not tongue-dragging hard. Then run a quarter at your overdistance pace. Repeat until you can't hold your target pace. Warm down 5-8 minutes. If you do more than 6, drop another 2 seconds off your target for the next week. It is important to discipline yourself to hold the pace as closely as you can. This not only makes you faster, it develops "pace sense" which enable you to KNOW how fast you're going during a two mile (or longer) effort. If you have an HRM, you should cross into the 90-100% or max heart rate range during your work intervals, and staty above 70% in your rest intervals.

On your days off, do some cycling at a moderate to easy pace. It's a great fat burner, and allows for some recovery between run sessions.

Within a few weeks, you should ntoice significant improvements in your run time.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Good to hear you're motivated, young brother. When you're travelling, you can always do pushups and situps. Better yet, stay at hotels that have gyms. A lot of hotels that don't have gyms, have arrangements with a local gym where you can go without charge or for a very small fee. CHCB gave you some good running tips and I agree you shouldn't run every day, especially in the beginning. As for that bowflex, don't use heavy weight when working out. Use weights that you can do 10 to 12 repetitions with very good form for 2 or 3 sets. When you can do 12 on every set, increase the weight. Move slowly, one second up, two seconds down. You should be able to stop the weight and keep it still at any point in the range of motion. If you can't, the weight is too heavy. Here's some more motivation for you. At our next link-up, let's see if you can do more pushups than this 56 year old FOG. Loser picks up the tab.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Excellent advice from both of you.

Bill... we'll have to push that link-up out a month or so. Vodka costs a bit more than the beer does. :)

I'm working on keeping my diet under 2000 calories. I feel like I am back in the swamps of Northern Florida.... I almost licked the wrapper on my lean cousine.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Start of Week 5.

APFT Results:

48 Push-Ups (from 35) - Score of 72
45 Sit-Ups (from 32) - Score of 64
17:25:23 2-Mile (from 18:59:55) - Score of 62

Well, not a bad improvement. I'm down to 182 pounds and feel fantastic. I actually enjoy the runs now... which about killed me at first.

I'm dropping below 1600 calories this week and will be running every day vs. every other day. I feel good enough that I'll be able to do alternating distance and time improvement runs.

Great advice from all and I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Keep posting your results. We're watching you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Splat wrote:Start of Week 5.

APFT Results:

48 Push-Ups (from 35) - Score of 72
45 Sit-Ups (from 32) - Score of 64
17:25:23 2-Mile (from 18:59:55) - Score of 62

Well, not a bad improvement. I'm down to 182 pounds and feel fantastic. I actually enjoy the runs now... which about killed me at first.

I'm dropping below 1600 calories this week and will be running every day vs. every other day. I feel good enough that I'll be able to do alternating distance and time improvement runs.

Great advice from all and I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks.
I think I'm going to try Ranger CHCB's run schedule, and go to the gym Tue and Thu. A few years ago I was running every Mon-Fri, mornings and nights. If felt great and my distance improved at a rapid rate and I lost some fat. Supposedly, this is bad. Running just thee times a week just doesn't feel like enough to make a difference; but, I'm going to listen to the pro's and try it.

Good luck Ranger Splat.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

I'll try to stick to the off days... I guess I'm a little discouraged by my minimal weight loss. I expected more after 5 weeks of a shitty diet and running / lifting. I have to remind myself that muscle weighs more than fat and that I am working at a 'healthy' pace.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90

Return to “About Army Physical Training”