Contract Questions

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

breuk
Embryo

Contract Questions

Post by breuk »

Hello all,

I'm a senior in college and I am currently preparing to begin my career with the U.S. Army. My goal is to apply to OCS as a civilian, but with the reductions of the military today along with a below average gpa, I am not overly confident about my OCS package getting accepted. However, I still have the desire to serve, regardless of whether I enter the army as an officer or not. One thing I can't seem to find the answer to is: can a recruiter hold a contract for you? For example, I plan on asking for an infantry contract with the option 40 attached as a 2nd choice behind OCS. Seeing as I don't graduate til next May, I believe there's a good chance of the contract I want coming across the recruiters hand sometime between now and then. However, I don't want to sign a contract before I have heard back from OCS boards about my acceptance or rejection. Are recruiters capable of reserving a contract for someone until they are ready to sign or will they pass the contract to whoever wants it and is willing to sign first? Another question, I've been doing a lot of research about trying to get the most out of my contract, such as bonuses. I've seen things like a further education bonus, which is something I'd definitely be interested in. I wanted to know if I am naive in thinking I can ask for a bonus of any sort: are they a thing of the past or does it simply take knowledge of their existence to come across them?

Thanks for taking the time to review my post.
-Breuk

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Contract Questions

Post by Jim »

Breuk, Your first post should have been an introduction, I am moving this post to the introduction thread. Please tell us more about yourself. Where do you go to school and what is your major. Have you considered enlisting in the 75th Ranger Regiment? Several members of the site earned a slot in OCS after enlisted service with the Regiment. And I can assure you they are doing well. As you can see in my signature, I was a Staff Sergeant who went to OCS after Viet-Nam.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
breuk
Embryo

Post by breuk »

I apologize for not posting a proper introduction, thank you for your advice and your service. I'm going to be a senior at Emory University this fall with a major in Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology. I go to a good school with a difficult science major, however, my gpa is around a 2.6. My understanding is that while my gpa is well below average, the OCS review boards is a very holistic evaluation. I have served as captain of my schools rugby team, an officer in my fraternity (Kappa Alpha Order), and have held a research position at a primate research center in Atlanta. I feel very qualified to be an officer, and gpa notwithstanding, am an ideal candidate for OCS, so I am going to go ahead and put in an application. I can see myself serving and once enlisted trying again for OCS, but am perfectly content staying an enlisted soldier. I am the first in my family to go to college as my father and grandfather both enlisted into the Marine Corps and my older brother enlisted into the Army a few years ago. The military has always been my first choice of careers, however, Emory does not have an ROTC program. The nearest ROTC program is Georgia Tech, but not having a vehicle, along with my school/work load, I never saw it as an option during my time at school. Hence why I am only now starting the process of joining. Any advice on my current situation, stories of similar situations, or replies to my earlier post would be much appreciated.

-Burke
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Humility is a good trait to think about no matter what you want to do.

So far you sound like a typical arrogant schoolboy who thinks they already have what it takes to lead fighting men. You've got a long ways to go young man. Start by reading the rules of the site.

Then tell us please, what makes you such an ideal candidate to be an Officer? It sounds like being a Ranger is you're "fallback" choice, so why should we even care if it's not that important to you?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
breuk
Embryo

Post by breuk »

I’d like to start off by saying I mean no offense brother.

If my earlier post came off conceded, it was certainly not intended. I posted hastily because I have spent some time looking across the internet for a few questions that I have and have come up empty, so for that I apologize. As for my officer candidacy, I based my opinion on, again, only what I’ve read online. With the exception of a later 13 minute 2 mile time, I can preform 80 push ups and sit ups in the allotted time for an unofficial pft of ~290. I have held leadership roles in both high school and college athletics, social clubs, and volunteer organizations. Next May, I will have earned a degree that I, and my family, have sacrificed a lot to earn. So if I sound overly prideful, I don’t not mean to, but simply I was trying to give a brief presentation of my accomplishments for an introduction.

If accepted, my goal is still to be an officer in the 75th regiment. I know only very little at this time about how to accomplish this goal and am trying to become more educated on the path to achieving it. As I mentioned, every male in my family since coming to America has enlisted into a branch of the military. I have nothing but the utmost respect for individuals who decide to serve their country. As of today, yes, enlisting is my second option. But that is my personal opinion that is preference based on what is best appurtenant to my career goals and personality type. The statement was in no way meant to look down upon the alternative option of enlistment in any way.

Again, I don’t know if there’s any chance that you’d know, but as to my original post, what would your suggestion be to my situation? I am planning on applying to OCS while simultaneously asking my recruiter for an infantry option 40 contract. Would the recruiter be able to hold a contract fit for me until I heard back from boards or would I have to sign a contract as soon as it becomes available to secure it for myself?

I appreciate any advice you could offer and thank you for taking an interest in my post.

-Breuk
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Breuk, you cannot hold a contract for an applicant. If you process OCS you cannot enlist with an option 40 until the board results come back and you were non selected. Just like you cannot apply for OCS as a civilian once you've enlisted with an option 40. You have to pick one or the other. OCS is extremely competitive and slots are held for the best qualified applicants. They look at GPA, PT scores, and your letters of recommendation.
In my opinion some of the best officers come from the enlisted ranks. Because those officers have walked in their soldiers shoes. I'm sure you can ask the Rangers on this site about applying to OCS as an enlisted soldier from within the 75th Ranger Regiment. Hope this answers your question.

Perryb
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Breuk, PerryB works for Recruiting Command. He knows the rules. If you hope to serve as an officer in the 75th Ranger Regiment, I am comfortable telling that if you go right to OCS, your chances of selection are very slim. However, if you enlist, you will give yourself the opportunity to mature and develop a broader perspective. Please do your homework and read as much as possible.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
breuk
Embryo

Post by breuk »

PerryB, you answered my question exactly, it seems like I’ll have to take a long look at my choice between the two and make a heavy decision early this fall. I appreciate your input, thanks for the help.

Jim, I’ve been scouting throughout the forums and have been learning a good amount of information I didn’t know before. Thanks for your direction.

-Breuk
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

breuk wrote:PerryB, you answered my question exactly, it seems like I’ll have to take a long look at my choice between the two and make a heavy decision early this fall. I appreciate your input, thanks for the help.

Jim, I’ve been scouting throughout the forums and have been learning a good amount of information I didn’t know before. Thanks for your direction.

-Breuk
I've stayed out of this fiasco until now.

Evidently, during your "scouting mission" of the board you missed Rule #1 on the site. How do you address a vetted Ranger during your correspondence on this forum?

Hint it starts with the letter "R" and then followed by the board handle of the individual you are addressing.

Also Ranger (See what I did there?) Cams is not your brother. That is a term of familiarity you have yet to earn.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
breuk
Embryo

Post by breuk »

Ranger Rangertough, thank you for alerting me of my transgressions. Through my earlier forum browsing, I was focused more on the content of the post I was reading rather than their structures, which I should have paid attention to more carefully.

Ranger Jim, Ranger PerryB, my apologies for not leading my responses to your posts with a vocative manner, I meant no disrespect.

Also, Ranger Cams, I only use the term brother in a colloquial fashion meaning just an acquaintance, friend, fellow American; in no way did I mean to draw a comparison between you and I.

I naively came to this website thinking it as a relaxed Q&A, however, I'm learning very quickly there's much more of a formality to the system. I'd like to continue post among the next several months because I am sure I will have plenty of questions after meeting with a recruiter, putting a contract, and preparing myself physically and mentally for the tasks ahead. I hope that I haven't offended any of the other Rangers or Non Ranger members of the site that may have scanned across this thread. I recognize what a supportive tool this website could be for my process and I will be taking advantage of the tips and suggestions given throughout the site. I hopefully haven't made too much of a bad first impression, but if there's anything else out of bounds about my post please reply and let me know. I get things wrong, but I don't get things wrong twice.

-Breuk
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Breuk, FYI, I am not a Ranger. I am simply a member of this site that does work for the Recruiting Command . I post on here to answer mostly recruiting related questions. You'll gain a lot of valuable information from this website. Use it wisely and most of all pay attention to detail. Often the smallest details are the ones that count.

Perryb
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Breuk, one more thing I'll be honest if your GPA is really 2.6 you have a very slim chance to get selected for OCS. You'll be competing with men that have 3.8 and higher. I used to help process OCS packets in my area and I can tell you a 2.6 isn't going to cut it.

Perryb
breuk
Embryo

Post by breuk »

PerryB,

No please, rather than anything, give me truth. I have no reservations with enlisting out of college as opposed to OCS, it's rather the limbo frustration of not knowing where I stand amongst other OCS candidates that forces me into this static position of not knowing what to do. I understand the heavy emphasis placed on the significance of gpa, so I'm not one to provide excuses or lay blame. Rather I was just looking to have a better gauge on just how heavy that importance of gpa is exactly in the application process.

I believe after reading throughout this site and speaking with a couple of members, my best option at the moment is to go and speak with a recruiter before the end of summer and put my name in for a option 40. Could you explain a little bit more about how the recruiter determines which recruits receive the contracts they requested? For example, I expect I won't be the only person in Atlanta asking this specific recruiter for an infantry option 40 contract. So when one does come across his desk, how does he decide which recruit to call to come and sign the contract? Do they go to the most qualified recruit, to the recruit who first requested the contract, or how so?

Thanks.
-Breuk
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Breuk, you will find this thread helpful:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70