Plate carriers

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
cams
Ranger

Re: Plate carriers

Postby cams » June 22nd, 2013, 10:29 pm

rangertough wrote:
cams wrote:Jim those were our team tac-vests. Heavy vests/plates all around. Not for regular patrolman use.

Difference being those vests you saw have ballistic capabilities all around for pistol protection and also heavy plates for rifle protection, whereas the plate carriers in the subject are simply nylon "carriers" to support the use of a front and back rifle plate.

Side SAPI plates are a worthy addition iMHO.

Tough

Oh I concure my brother. With the amount of over time $$ they spent during the bombings every dept of the state and local Gov is cutting every corner they can to make it up. Final say is out of my hands but it is something I will push for.

Ranger Dreadnought, thanks for the link, great products and customer service at Crye. I wish i could say 250.00 for a carrier would fly though I'm sure they'll pick something that's about 200.00 less than since they're allegedly looking at purchasing a couple hundred of them, then add on the cost of good lightweight plates for each. Not an easy sell to the man with the purse strings right now.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Postby rangertough » June 22nd, 2013, 11:00 pm

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx

$125.00 but thier top end releasable (it's got a "rip-cord" that will drop the carrier) is $307 which is ridiculous. I bought mine when it was under $200. I think Logan's brother is getting greedy.

I never thought I'd say this. Crye is the much better deal.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.

cams
Ranger

Postby cams » June 23rd, 2013, 6:10 am

rangertough wrote:http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx

$125.00 but thier top end releasable (it's got a "rip-cord" that will drop the carrier) is $307 which is ridiculous. I bought mine when it was under $200. I think Logan's brother is getting greedy.

Tough

Wow. Ya that's crazy. Crye is great gear and I too never thought I'd see TT charging that kind of money. Shit we used to walk in there and get gear mod'ed for a few bucks. Times have changed.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

DEC
Tadpole

Postby DEC » December 12th, 2013, 10:35 am

Rangers,

In the market for a plate carrier too. Dept issue got tore up and probably wont get reissued another for awhile. I purchased the Crye JPC and loved it but cant use Dept issued side plates with it. Crye has side pouches for plates but only for 6x6 and I was issued 6x8. Any of yall know a similar light weight carrier that can take 6x8 side plates? Thanks for yalls responses.

-T

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Postby KW Driver » December 12th, 2013, 1:25 pm

cams wrote:
rangertough wrote:http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx

Tough

Wow. Ya that's crazy. Crye is great gear and I too never thought I'd see TT charging that kind of money. Shit we used to walk in there and get gear mod'ed for a few bucks. Times have changed.

It's NDog's fault.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Postby Grim666 » November 13th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Ok bringing this one back up. Anyone have any good suggestions? I looked through these but the posts are a few years old looking to see if anyone found anything new?
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????

fatboy
Ranger

Postby fatboy » November 13th, 2016, 7:42 pm

What's the intended use? Law enforcement, medical, military, zombies, bump in the night?
And are you wanting front and rear plates only, sides, all 4 side plates with backers,etc?

If you're looking for a soft armor external vest with plate capability, I've heard Mayflower gear/ Velocity systems LPAAC is the new standard. I have no experience with it though.

My current carrier for work is just a simple bare bones front and rear plate, with rifle mags and medical supplies for things going pear shaped. It fits over my duty gear with no issues and is a quick grab and go if it's needed.
I've only had it out a few times, but I was happy to be wearing it.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Postby Grim666 » November 13th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Military / medical (I play a medic anyway)........ Need to have front, back, and side plates. Looking for something kind of comfortable since I could be spending some time with it on. Secondary use would be zombies......

fatboy
Ranger

Postby fatboy » November 13th, 2016, 7:49 pm

That being the case, then I would look into either Eagle or London Bridge.
I saw a nice write up for the Eagle Aero model, if I ever went back overseas I think I would go that route for coverage.

Otherwise, the LBT 6094 would be second on the list for me.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

cams
Ranger

Postby cams » November 14th, 2016, 9:22 am

I've been using the TT Fight Lite plate carrier for a few years now, courtesy of my man NDOG. Great carrier, tough and comfortable, until you try wearing it sitting in a vehicle. The back padding is a sort of eggs carton shaped, conical pointed pads that dig into your back like a pile of sharp rocks anytime you try to lean back against the seat with it on. Thought over time it would soften up but no luck. Standing, walking, running, it's great, sitting down in a vehicle is a bitch after the first half hour.

I have been looking at Blue Force Gear Plate Minus V2 lately. Pricey but very light and has great reviews all around.

I have some other BFG and it's really well made and extremely lightweight stuff.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Postby Grim666 » November 22nd, 2016, 5:24 am

Thank you for all the suggestions. Looking at the Blue Force. Will have to see what the budget can be.

cams
Ranger

Postby cams » November 22nd, 2016, 7:32 am

If you do get the BFG let us know what you think about it. It may push me to spend some money on one next year.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “Personal Gear”