Entering Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
proud dad
Tadpole

Entering Ranger School

Post by proud dad »

Talked to my son on the phone last night and he will be coming home on leave soon. Yeee Haaw! The reason for this post is he told me one of his good friends will be starting the school shortly and wanted me to know as I have met him on several occasions and really think alot of him. I first met him last year when my wife and I drove to Columbus to spend Thanksgiving with our son and took a few of his Ranger buddies out for Thanksgiving dinner. I had told them that anytime they ever get to the Dallas area to stop by I would buy them a steak dinner or whatever they wanted, and they were more than welcome to use our house as a base of operations. Well next time my son was on a four day pass two Rangers came with him. I took them out to eat and had a really good time, of course they dropped us off back at the house and I didn't see them again till next morning. Anyway this Ranger is an Asst. Chaplian and older than most batt. boys. (mid to late twenty's.) I think he will do good at Ranger School and I will plan on being there to see him Gradutate. I had a link on the Ft Benning website that allowed me to track a person through the School but when I went there last night and this morning it was not working. Does anyone have a link to a site that allows you to do this?
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Ft Benning's system is notorious for being up one minute, and down the next. I'd imagine your link is good; just not reliable!

Proud Dad, you're a good man. You take these young Rangers in as though they were your own sons. That is highly commendable, because I know that he considers them his brothers.

RLTW!
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

Ranger Saltbitch you were right about the Benning site. I was able to get there this am and noticed it has both the Tillman's brothers names and class numbers posted. They are still at Benning phase.
Also I can not imagine anyone that woudn't take a Ranger as one of their on. For me they have shown that they are some of the best people I have ever met. Polite young men that show respect for others and themselves is quite refreshing from colored spiked hair, bolts, screws and wire sticking from eyebrows, nose, and lips. Troubled teenagers strutting around with tough gangster attitudes, yea I would claim any Ranger as a Son anytime, anyday.
I just remembered something funny about our Thanksgiving trip. We had been to a movie and all of us were standing around waiting for my son (I guess he was in the bathroom or something) when I told them that we would wait and they could meet us back at the hotel. Two of them at once said. "Rangers don't leave Rangers sir." My wife said "its ok I am his momie." They all laughed but not one of them left untill he returned.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Proud Dad - that is great that you opened your home to them. In so doing, you also got the opportunity to get a glimpse into their world by seeing them interact with each other, and as a group, with others around them. Many parents have a good idea what Rangers are about while their sons are serving, but don't take the time to travel to Benning, save one graduation or so, or open their homes as you have to your son's buddies. You've learned alot more about your son as a result and you'll have a much better understanding of why he does some of the other things he'll be doing after he gets out, character traits and motivations, etc.. some things that come about as a result of his having served as a Ranger, later on in life.

Good Job - Ranger Dad.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”