Cat Eyes

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
GoardHeart
Ranger

Cat Eyes

Post by GoardHeart »

Hello Rangers--
I am in ROTC and I'm going to be commisioned in May 05. I branched Infantry so Ranger School will soon follow IOBC. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to sew "cat eyes" onto my patrol cap. Is there a certain way to do it? I've heard you need to use dental floss. If anyone has any more tips for me I would gladly like to hear them. Thanks
Last edited by GoardHeart on December 14th, 2004, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Cat Eyes

Post by Silverback »

GoardHeart wrote:Hello Rangers--
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to sow "cat eyes" onto my patrol cap. Is there a certain way to do it? I've heard you need to use dental floss. If anyone has any more tips for me I would gladly like to hear them. Thanks
I really don't see the sense in sowing cate eyes as I am sure that they are not capable of growth.

Sewing is an all together different question.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Thank you Ranger Silverback.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Re: Cat Eyes

Post by Ardent Lady »

Silverback wrote:
GoardHeart wrote:Hello Rangers--
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to sow "cat eyes" onto my patrol cap. Is there a certain way to do it? I've heard you need to use dental floss. If anyone has any more tips for me I would gladly like to hear them. Thanks
I really don't see the sense in sowing cate eyes as I am sure that they are not capable of growth.

Sewing is an all together different question.
:lol: :lol: Ranger Silverback, you are a great spelling teacher. All spelling lessons should be so graphic and practical - I'm sure they would be remembered better.

:) I'm probably far too easily amused, but I'll be chuckling about this all day :) Thanks for the day-starter!
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Your unit will more than likely have their own SOP regarding cat eyes. I'd wait until I was assigned to do that. For example, some companies cut the cat eyes into long triangles, with the points up. Other companies had theirs inverted. Still others used rectangular shapes. The idea was you could ID each other as a company, in the field. We all took ours to the little Korean sewing shops off post and let them sew them on.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

EarthPig wrote:Your unit will more than likely have their own SOP regarding cat eyes. I'd wait until I was assigned to do that. For example, some companies cut the cat eyes into long triangles, with the points up. Other companies had theirs inverted. Still others used rectangular shapes. The idea was you could ID each other as a company, in the field. We all took ours to the little Korean sewing shops off post and let them sew them on.
RLTW
EP
I just took mine to lotties.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Man you guys had it easy. Our cat eyes were 1/2 x 1 inch rectangles. Each one had 2 stitches near the top, 2 in the middle, and 2 near the bottom on both sides of the cat eye for a total of 12 stitches per cat eye. On the back side (inside the patrol cap) each stitche was tied off using a square knot with a half hitch on both side of the square knot. That is correct 12 square knots with half hitches on each stitch. In Ranger School the RI's checked them before we were let into the mess hall.

Of course that was back when you had to be really HARD to cut it! :D
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

McD I hate you for bringing back those painful memories. How much sleep time did you lose in Ranger school due to the RIs ripping off your eyes?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Silverback wrote:McD I hate you for bringing back those painful memories. How much sleep time did you lose in Ranger school due to the RIs ripping off your eyes?
I actually lucked out as why squad got me squared away before I went and had them done perfectly. I did spend the first night doing my ranger buddies cat eyes to perfection, so we were all a go for that. But I'll be damned if they (RI's) didn't always find something to smoke my ass for. Seems like it took for ever to get in to the mess hall. Why o why were they such meanies?? :?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

Thank you for all the advice Rangers.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”