Foot Care + Roadmarches?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Calimari

Foot Care + Roadmarches?

Post by Calimari »

I believe this is the right category to put this under...Currently I am an ROTC cadet but will be commissioned as an Infantry officer in May 2005 and will be going to IOBC and Ranger School. The problem is that even when we were doing our 10mile road marches at our ROTC assessment course the balls of my feet began to burn. This only happened while we were doing "long" marches on paved roads, never in the field. Is that fairly normal? I've looked into "gel ball-of-foot cushions but wanted to see if this is normal and just something typical to suck up and deal with. Thank you Rangers for all of your help to us noobies!
Dud
Tadpole

Post by Dud »

Hey Cali,
I think this topic has already been addressed. If I remember correctly, there was a VERY extensive post made with a hell of alot of good information over this very topic. I can't remember the author, sorry. Anyways, I suggest you learn to use the search button around here, most questions have already been well covered. Just a word of advice,

Dud
"The secret to happiness in life is finding that which you are willing to die for, and begin living for it."
Calimari

Sorry...

Post by Calimari »

I'm sorry if this had been covered. I saw A LOT on blisters and treatment of them but nothing that covered more of the issue of your feet burning. I'll keep searching and I'm sorry Rangers if this had been mentioned. I tried looking and searching but guess I may have missed it.
RGR_Dan
Ranger

foot care

Post by RGR_Dan »

The burning is the part before the blisters start. In reality they are unavoidable. That is caused by your feet sliding in the boot. Lace the boot half way. Right before the laces go vertical on the boots put in a square knot. Do not take your boots off at anytime during the long movement. Your feet will swell and then yer fuk'd.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Calimari

Is it the same?

Post by Calimari »

Thanks Ranger Dan! Luckily I had no problems with blisters (as many of my buddies did) just that burning on the bottoms of my feet. Am I wrong in assuming it's normal after longer marches (and soft feet) for them to be sensitive to step on for a few hours afterward too? I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining. I just want to be sure I get advice from you Rangers who know what it's like so I can get through Ranger School and IOBC with as little pain as possible (if that's possible).

Return to “Medical Issues”