Running with boots and rucks. Good for health?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
IronProphecy
Embryo

Running with boots and rucks. Good for health?

Post by IronProphecy »

Sorry to break all the no post spell. But i have questions yet again.

Running in boots and with rucks. How can this be good for you? I asked my physical therapist. About if its a good idea to run in boots and he said no it will only dammage your knees or cause stress fractures. And with the ruck you may create back problems as well. Im curious, on how you guys can do this without injury?

I messed my elbow up pretty good just from doing 500 push ups a day. I am the type to run till i realy fuck something up and end all possible dreams to atleast attend RIP, let alone the army. I just wondering how you guys can do all this without normal human injury?
"that boy aint right"
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

You don't do that shit everyday. You have to build up to it, I guess. Most guys just don't say shit. They just do it. Even when they are fucked up.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You have to be superhuman to be a Ranger and have a superhuman mind. Ask the people at www.75thrangers.us. They'll tell you. :lol:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I myself am partial to rucking. I think it builds a physically tougher and more combat agile soldier. Over the years I have done alot of ruckin' and I have never had any of the lower extremity injuries people say are caused from ruckin'. I've had more injuries from playing bascketball than any military activity I've been involved in.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Just be careful you don't hurt yourself trying to spell 'basketball'. :lol:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Spartan wrote:Just be careful you don't hurt yourself trying to spell 'basketball'. :lol:
Too late!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

As you are training to be a Ranger I wouldn't ruck run. I would run and ruck seperately. We did do ruck runs when I was in but not many. The most I ran with a ruck was for EIB when I basically ran the whole 12 miles but I don't really remember doing much of it otherwise.

I also wouldn't run in boots. Just my opinion. You should do them seperately.

Ranger2
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Running with boots and rucks. Good for health?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

IronProphecy wrote: I messed my elbow up pretty good just from doing 500 push ups a day. I am the type to run till i realy fuck something up and end all possible dreams to atleast attend RIP, let alone the army. I just wondering how you guys can do all this without normal human injury?
So what did the doctor say about your elbow ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I did my first ruck run my first full day in Batt during my first PT session with my new squad. Nothing says "Welcome to Batt" like a good lung busting ruck run.

Just hold off on ruckin'. Don't cheat yourself out of the shock of your first time. :twisted:

Oh, and in this case, I think your therapist is souped up. All of us have rucked quit a few miles. Ruckin' never bothered me one bit. My knees and ankles are fine. And so what if it does hurt? You gonna tell your squad leader that you can't run to the exfill helo because you wittle knees hurt?

The job comes first. Personal discomfort almost always accompanies. Either you can deal with it, or you can't. That's just the way it is.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Ruck running should not be attempted without building up first. Just jumping right into a long ruck run could/will be disasterous. Start out running short distances in boots, then long distances with boots. Then add a ruck with light weight slowly increasing the wieght and distance. Ruckrunning sucks and is brutal. Don't add to it by being stupid and waking up one morning saying "I think I will run 12 miles with a heavy ruck ignoring sharp excrutiating pains just to be hard without a proper build-up".
IronProphecy
Embryo

Post by IronProphecy »

Well i hate to ask this but, what would be a good way to break into my winter boots and then eventualy a ruck. I feel my daily runs arnt gettin me prepared anymore. And its starting to snow. Sorry to ask but i have no knowledge of boots and rucks and how to use them in workouts.

And i posted an update on my elbow in my original post.
"that boy aint right"
Birdman
Soldier

Post by Birdman »

Why would you want to wear Winter boots to roadmarch?? You take more than 3 steps and your feet are drenched. I just wear jungles, or at most all leather leg boots.
3rd U.S. INF (TOG) 00-03
1/16 INF 1st ID 03-05
3/509 ABN 05- Present

"Strike Fast/Kick Ass"

Return to “Medical Issues”