GravityMan writes again (RANGER)

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Earthpig
Ranger

GravityMan writes again (RANGER)

Post by Earthpig »

I received another report from GravityMan. His letters are difficult to read, as he writes like a physician. I'll try my best to translate it accurately. As always, I have edited any actual names for PERSEC reasons.
RLTW
EP

Ranger EarthPig,

You're right, time has been flying by! We just finished BRM today and it seems like it just started. I qualified this morning with a 32/40, earning myself Sharpshooter. I'm disappointed in myself, but most of my platoon got Marksman, so I felt somewhat better. Most people qualified the first time around, but some had a lot of trouble. There were Drill Sgts. practicing in the next hole over, with a very weird 'crosswind,' so even the sittiest 'riflemen' qualified. Pissed me off that they couldn't make the standard on their own. Some of the DS's shoot very well, though....from 2nd Plt, DS XXXX covered two lanes, earning a 38/40 and 39/40, respectively.

Tonight and this weekend will be a vacation. We are watching "Kill Bill 1 and 2" right now, til they finish (about 1 am or so, I bet...feels like a sleepover). Then tomorrow is detail with an MWR contest in the evening. Sunday is our BRM pass, 0800 to 1700, I believe. It's only a Sand Hill pass and not a Main Post pass, because I didn't earn Expert.

Next week should be quite fun. I was on duty squad earlier this week to pick up some equipment: AT-4's, grenades, M240B's, M249's, M203's, and "special weapons."

PT is going pretty well for the most part. I received a 210 on my last APFT (last Friday). My arms are dying, for whatever reason. I came in being able to do 53 pushups and 11 pullups. I'm hitting muscle fatigue at 25 and struggling to do 5 pullups now. I'm so confused. Work out more? Let them rest? It's pissing me off. Situps, flutterkicks, and runs are fine, though.

As for the blanks and new company policy (regarding accidental discharges), it's been working out well. No accidental discharges yet, but a lot of weapons left on semi and/or chambered rounds, when they aren't supposed to be (Chow hall/ Bay, etc). The result usually ends up in my "Favorite DS Moments" book that I'm keeping. And some of those retards are supposed to watch my back in Iraq? Geeeeez!

About the two Drill Sgt's I mentioned. DS XXX went into a little more detail about it. Apparently, he made it through RIP and 3-4 weeks in Battalion and then broke both ankles and a wrist on a jump. Since he was "unproven," they decided it was easier to ship him to the 82nd, than keep him. He seems kinda bitter and quiet over it. DS YYY went through a "regional RIP" at Ft. Campbell, whatever-the-fuck that is. He passed, but "turned it down." Regardless, he's a 101st combat vet and has my full respect.

Nothing much to update about. Family Day and Exodus are coming up quickly. Parties and pussy to come. I also got a "Dear John" letter today. I was sad, but now pissed. I'm either gonna bag her best friend and/or her mom.

Tell the DEPs to PT before leaving and pay attention to detail! No bullshitting, brown-nosing, or asking stupid questions. Try your best to be the grey man, but after Week 3 or so, it's nearly impossible. I'm nicknamed Jimmy Neutron (cartoon character), since I supposedly look like him. But, they don't know me, because I'm not a shitbag. Big difference. I'll update again soon.

GravityMan
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Great letter. Thanks for posting that guest. :wink: :twisted:
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good SITREP Gman. As you progress further into your training you will look back on this time as being real easy. The hard shit is coming yet. Stay focused. Be grateful you got your Dear John now and not when you got to Iraq. You will meet someone down the road, you can count on it. You are still a young man. Stay focused on your training and drive on.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: GravityMan writes again

Post by Slowpoke »

EarthPig wrote:I received another report from GravityMan. His letters are difficult to read, as he writes like a physician. I'll try my best to translate it accurately. As always, I have edited any actual names for PERSEC reasons.
RLTW
EP

Nothing much to update about. Family Day and Exodus are coming up quickly. Parties and pussy to come. I also got a "Dear John" letter today. I was sad, but now pissed. I'm either gonna bag her best friend and/or her mom.

GravityMan
I like this young mans attitude! :twisted:
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Bell

Post by Bell »

Drive on Gravity Man. For those people that don't want to share your life and your experiences......they don't know what they're missing. You'll be alright. Too many fish in the sea.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Letters from School”