Ideal Physical Fitness for Ranger School

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
.crumb.
Egg

Ideal Physical Fitness for Ranger School

Post by .crumb. »

Right now im doing 94 PU, 91 SU, and 12:53 on my PT test, what would be good reps/times to get that would be ideal upon entering Ranger School? I've searched and could only find that 11+ is good for the run. The reason i'm asking is that I kind of want a goal to shoot for rather than just "get better" as my goal. Thanks Rangers.

-the measly crumb :wink:
Last edited by .crumb. on November 12th, 2004, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

From the RTB Website, cached on Google. Next time, search harder.

What are the Physical Requirements of Ranger School?

PT TEST: Perform 49 correct pushups, 59 correct situps, 6 Chin ups with the palms facing toward the face and run 2 miles in 15 minutes and 12 seconds or less.

CWST: Students must be able to swim 15 meters in BDU's and Boots with LCE and Weapon. Students must correctly execute the 3 meter drop; Drop from a 3 meter diving board blind folded wearing BDU's and Boots with LCE and weapon, swim to the side of the pool without loosing their equipment; Equipment removal, students must enter the water wearing BDU's and Boots with LCE and Weapon, submerge and remove LCE and Weapon without breaking the survice of the water. All of the CWST events must be executed without showing fear or panic.

5 MILE RUN: Students must run 5 miles in 40 minutes averaging 8 minutes per mile.
.crumb.
Egg

Post by .crumb. »

Thank you Ranger Spartan.

Unfortunately I must not have explained myself clearly. I didn't mean the minimum requirements of Ranger School. I was asking about an 'ideal' pt score to be getting before entering Ranger School. Because i'm guessing that the higher you are scoring on your PU, SU and runs, the easier Ranger School could be for you. I'm not saying at all that if you are scoring around 410 on the pt test that Ranger School would be cake, all i'm saying is that a guy that gets 410 might have an easier time than say a guy that gets 260. I do realize that there are many other skills that are needed for Ranger School (rope, swimming, 'rucking', land nav, etc.) . But i'm just strictly asking about pt scores. I hope all this crap makes sense. :oops: Thanks Rangers.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

It would behoove you to ensure that your reps are extremely strict. If you score yourself at 94 pushups, and want to know what you might score when the RIs are grading you, cut it by a third ......... at least.

It don't take much to do 94 head bobbin', bended back candy ass pushups. It's another to do 94 pushups that are performed so strictly that the grader counts every single one of 'em without exception. Back perfectly straight through the ENTIRE repetition, upper arms break the horizontal plain EVERY time. Chest NEVER bounces off the ground, etc. No swaying. Just good, clean, crisp pushups.

Poor form has failed a lot of people who thought they would do just fine, particularly when at a school and feeling the pressure. And when that happens, instead of hearing "22,23,24,25,26,27, etc.", you'll hear "22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22," .......... and then you are truly fucked.

Make sure your form is perfect, and the reps will be there when you need them.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
.crumb.
Egg

Post by .crumb. »

Thank you Ranger Creeping Death.

I have been told that I break the plane by about 2-3 inches for the first 50 to 60. EDIT: After that It starts getting really close to just parallel with the ground and about the last 5 or so I have been told are hard to tell if I am breaking the plane or not. I dont' have a problem at all with an unstiff back until I get to 85+. But sometimes I do end up hitting my chest to the ground, im not sure if I bounce though. Hopefully hitting my chest to the ground every now and then isn't a problem, or is it? What about my run though, I know I am weak, but what times should I try to aim for?

The reason I am asking is that I am not one to just meet the standards, I always try to be one of the best at everything (well-rounded). I like to crush the standards and then stomp on them a couple of times. :roll:

Thanks again Rangers.
The Dave
Embryo

Post by The Dave »

Creeping Death wrote:
Poor form has failed a lot of people who thought they would do just fine, particularly when at a school and feeling the pressure. And when that happens, instead of hearing "22,23,24,25,26,27, etc.", you'll hear "22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22,22," .......... and then you are truly fucked.

Make sure your form is perfect, and the reps will be there when you need them.
Ranger Creeping Death, thank you for clarifying this. I haven't stumbled upon this info yet, but definitely will be paying MUCH attention to it. I've incorporated several push ups into my daily workout, but was not paying attention to the form as much. (At least I knew they weren't those sissy pushups). Thank you.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Listen to Ranger Creeping Death!The first four fuckin' days there you don't even exist.Maxing the fuckin' PT test is not gonna get you a major plus.Heed my fuckin' words.Get to the front of the line for push-ups and sit-ups.If you have to knock a cunt out of the way fuckin' do it!Don't worry about hurtin' any feelings they don't exist either.As my esteemed colleague Ranger Creeping Death said form is vital, but if you're the last motherfucker in line you have an extremely high chance of being retested.MAKE SURE YOUR ASS IS NEAR THE FRONT for all critical tasks.
I'm not going to say it again. :twisted:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Army Physical Training”