Introduction

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

RowlandTuck
Egg

Introduction

Post by RowlandTuck »

Hello everybody my name is Sam. I ended high school last year, and college was not for me. I have been torn between choosing the Army or the Marines (specifically the Army Rangers versus Marine Corps Force Recon), but am now thinking more about the Rangers route. I already took a practice test that simulated the ASVAB and scored very high, and physically I am fit (probably not quite up to Ranger standards yet in running). I found this forum in my cluster of Google searches trying to figure out the process to become a part of the 75th not just getting a Ranger tab. I figured this was the perfect place to figure out a great training regiment to prepare me for RASP and Ranger School as well as give me the information needed to not just be a Ranger, but excel during my time in service as well as prepare for what comes after.

I’ve talked to both Marine and Army recruiters, and they’ve guaranteed me a chance at Marine Force Recon or an Option 40 contract with the army. I’ve come to this forum because I’m heavily leaning towards the Rangers and want to know how to prepare for it as well as what it would take.

Thank you for your time Rangers!
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Sam,

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. I took the liberty of cleaning up your post a bit since you posted once here and again in the other forum.

Have you tested yourself with an APFT or similar fitness test? 5 mile run is another good indicator of your readiness levels. Have you looked into rucking at all? What is drawing you to Force Recon or Ranger Regiment? Is infantry the job you are looking at?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
RowlandTuck
Egg

Post by RowlandTuck »

Hello Ranger Disinfertention,

I have not taken the APFT yet. I am thinking of doing it on either the 25th or the 27th of February. This just gives me a chance to switch over from only doing conventional weight lifting about 3-4 times a week, and let my body accumulate to the changes in my training regimen. My running is the worst category for me since I just recently started back up on it. I have looked into rucking a tiny bit and plan on doing it once a week, but I'm gonna make sure I look into it enough to make sure I'm doing it the right way. As far as Force Recon, I'm not that interested in it anymore as I've figured most of what they do is scouting, and their purpose is to give intelligence to the normal 0311 Marines. For Rangers, I've always dreamed of being a soldier and I believe that with Rangers I will be surrounded by some real gunfighters. The Rangers would be my best chance to go make a difference somewhere. I'm looking to do infantry as my job.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Sam, makes sense all around. Definitely need to establish a baseline. Gotta know where you are to know where you are going.

Research the APFT to make sure you do it correctly. Check some of the events for the ACFT so you can check those as well. There are other fitness goals that were mentioned in the Discord and in the OPT40/Mentoring zone that you have access to now.

As you read about the background of Force Recon, check into the recent (last 40ish years) history of the Ranger Regiment. Find 1 fact you think is interesting and why. Short paragraph is fine.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Sam, welcome to ArmyRanger.com. I'll start with this.

Why do you actually want to be a Ranger? What is so interesting to you? Have you explored the other MOS's that Regiment is taking currently?

Research the Ranger Creed, memorize it, and explain what it means to you here.

As a wise Ranger once said, "Never, Never Quit!"
RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”