Introduction - LiveOak

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
LIVEOAK
Egg

Introduction - LiveOak

Post by LIVEOAK »

Good evening Rangers. I'm an 11B PFC at 2-12 IN, soon to be promoted at the end of the year. I've had goals of being in The Regiment since I entered service. I was unable to secure an option 40 at MEPS, and when offered a chance at RASP in OSUT I felt I wasn't mentally or physically ready. I am still immature, but growing every day, physically and mentally. My PSG wants me to go to Ranger school before I put in a packet, and have been running 3 times a week in addition to unit PT to prepare for that. I've been to this forum multiple times in the past, learning bits of information here and there, and decided it was time I become a member of the site and hopefully learn a lot more about what it's like as a Ranger when compared to regular Army, and how best to get to the point where I can be one of you. I have many questions pertaining to the process and life of a Ranger. How would an "import" as I've heard it called, be treated in regiment compared to those coming straight from OSUT to Regiment? What does the packet consist of? Am I really better off getting my tab and going to RASP instead of "growing up" in Regiment?

Thank y'all for listening, and I look forward to killing every day growing as a Ranger!
2-12 IN 2022-present
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - LiveOak

Post by BlueLiner »

LiveOak, welcome to the site. I don't know how far back you've been lurking here, but I'm sure you've seen that there are not alot of us poking around here anymore. However, there are still some of us here. To answer your questions, Regiment will be a culture shock to you to some degree, which is completely fine. My only exposure to the regular Army has been through BLC, etc. but I can tell you that the difference is night and day. The Regiment is looking for motivated soldiers who have the ability to self motivate, work as a team, and have an inate hunger for excellence in everything that they do. If you want more out of the Army, then I would recommend continuing on your path to getting to Battalion. The NCO's in this organization are the best at what they do, because the Regiment demands it. You will learn more about your job in 1 year, than 99.9% of your peers on the conventional side will learn in 3 years. With your question about imports, it all depends. If you are an NCO coming from the regular Army it is expected that you have your tab when you show up, because as an NCO in Regiment you are the first line mentor to junior Rangers coming out of RASP. If you are junior enlisted, you'd still be considered an "import". I went through RASP with Rangers who came from various units in the Army as SPC's, and they were some of the best dudes I ever knew so it really doesn't matter, you'll get treated the same as a junior Ranger fresh from RASP which is ok. I would not let the idea of being an "import" deter you from trying to go to RASP becasue the reward and opportunities that await you if you get your scroll outweigh the negatives of being an "import". On the other hand, if you get your tab before you go to RASP that is a great idea as well, because you won't have the worry of passing school if you make it through RASP because you'll already have your tab.

I'll throw in some more info for you about life in Regiment. Typical day to day is usually a busy one, you'll conduct PT with your leadership, get chow, go to work, eat lunch, work some more, then get released and fuck off to the barracks or gym. With you being infantry, you will get alot more range time than you would have gotten at your unit, and you'd be doing a lot cooler shit. When I showed up to Regiment it blew me away at how much support is offered to each Ranger, ranging from nutritionists, physical therapists, fitness programing coaches, mental performance coaches, you name it.

Finally, Regiment is a culture of the relentless pursuit of excellence. Hard work betrays none. Good luck to you, and keep us updated on your progress. Also in terms of physical preparation, you need to get very good at rucking, running, and calisthenics.

As a wise Ranger once said, "Never, Never Quit!"
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”