RASP Retrospect

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
TyDolla
Infantryman

RASP Retrospect

Post by TyDolla »

I figured I would write a retrospect of my time in the course and share my thoughts, mindset, plus lessons I learned hoping that it will help others preparing for the course.
- My plan was to never quit no matter how much pain I was in or how bad the circumstances got.
How did this change as I progressed?
- Passing the RFT on retest and improving my land navigation skills became a priority.
What went well and why?
- I got tougher mentally throughout my time in the course. I was beat down by cadre daily and usually cold. Realizing that I could endure the suffering and make it to the next day then the next week, built up my mental toughness.
What could have gone better?
- I could have passed the RFT the first time around had I practiced push up form before the course started, hydrated (almost “heat catted”) and not eaten a large meal the night before (it all came up during the 5 mile).
- I could have gotten more points during land navigation had I not gotten lost and stayed on my azimuth.
What advice would I give myself I were to recycle phase one?
- Maintain the mentality you had the first time.
- Don’t offer yourself shortcuts
- Make sure you are aware of EVERY rule and the consequences for breaking them.
- Stay hard and stay focused
What are three key lessons I would share with others?
- Little decisions can have huge consequences, don’t take your place in the course for granted.
- Your body will follow your mind. For example if you’re on a run and feel like falling out, don’t, before long you’ll be back inside the brown fence . The human body can endure so much, if you refuse to let your mind follow your body you’ll go far.
- Lean on your buddies but carry your weight. When you’re beat down and exhausted, sometimes all you need is someone encouraging you, pushing you further beyond your own perceived limits. Having a solid group of friends makes the course so much easier on the mind in my opinion.
What’s next for me?
- I’m currently waiting to be assigned to a unit outside the 75th Ranger Regiment. I’m going to use my failures and the lessons I learned to grow and be a better soldier. I intend to earn a slot to Ranger school as soon as I can and/or return to RASP for a second time, whichever comes first.
Last edited by TyDolla on February 4th, 2020, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
11B
Shipped: 20190624

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: RASP Retrospect

Post by centermass »

Solid review with lots of lessons learned and lots of lessons for those waiting in the wings moving forward.

You've got the right mindset to come back and crush it when you do.

Biggest take away from all of this? You may have fallen short, but you didn't quit.

Stay in touch and keep us posted on your progress.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

TyDolla
Infantryman

Re: RASP Retrospect

Post by TyDolla »

centermass wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 2:42 pm
Solid review with lots of lessons learned and lots of lessons for those waiting in the wings moving forward.

You've got the right mindset to come back and crush it when you do.

Biggest take away from all of this? You may have fallen short, but you didn't quit.

Stay in touch and keep us posted on your progress.
Roger Ranger Centermass
11B
Shipped: 20190624

Return to “Letters from School”