Introduction - Matthew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Matthew19
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Matthew

Post by Matthew19 » June 11th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Rangers, It's time for a sitrep that includes more than just running.

First off, CAP is going well. Recently boarded for my Mitchell award and got recommended for promotion. Just waiting on my unit commander to approve or deny it.

Haven't talked to a recruiter again after collecting the required medical paperwork since my mom has told me she isn't signing anything till I'm 18. To my knowledge, at 18 I don't need parental consent but I don't think telling her that would change her mind at this point lol. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to wait till January 2020 to start the process which is completely fine. I still need to graduate HS anyways.

PT wise, I ran a 16:15 two mile today. It's amazing what happens when you don't quit during a run lol. Pushups and situps haven't changed much. Carpenter said he'll give me a workout plan for that so we'll see where that goes. (Thanks Carpenter)! I've started sparring at TKD now which is a steep learning curve but it's been good training.

School wise, I've got my schedule locked down for the last 2 semesters and the dual enrollment office has checked everything over to confirm that I will be graduating with my AA degree come December. I'm so close I can taste graduation.

All in all, life is great right now. I'm seeing definite improvements in myself that, even though aren't at my end goal, are still baby steps in getting me to where I want to be.

Feeling awesome right now,
Matthew

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » June 14th, 2019, 10:38 am

Thanks for checking in, Matthew.

Trust your mother's decision to not sign anything. Both my parents were willing to sign paperwork to let me enlist and ship before 18. I wouldn't hide that information from your mother. Just to have a conversation with her so she knows you are serious about it. Not to change her mind but just so she gets used to the idea of what you want to do. All that being said, I am a stranger on the internet and you do not have to take my advice. I have no idea of your situation outside what I have read. After being gone from home since I was 17 I think back on how it could have not gone well.

Keep up the good work on PT. Glad you are getting some advice from others here. January will be here fast so keep trying to improve and ready yourself.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 » June 17th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.

I think her saying that stems from the fact that she worries about me a lot. Not that I do anything too bad but we all know that mothers worry about their sons until the ends of time. On one hand, I've been wanting to do this for years now and have expressed this to her but on the other hand, like any good mother, I know she's going to worry about me no matter what I end up doing because that's just how she is. I don't think there's really anything wrong with that either its just motherly instinct. Either way, I go talk to her again.

Just a quick side note, my dad walked in while I was typing this asking what I was doing. After explaining everything all he said was,"I'm impressed" so thanks y'all for helping me get my dad's approval :D

Thanks for the mentoring (please keep it coming),
Matthew

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » June 22nd, 2019, 8:31 am

Initiative is important. Anyone who works for a living at any level at all can appreciate that. I don't chase people to help them but I try to be here for anyone who will meet me half way.

Looks like it has been a month or so since you have done an APFT. I'd recommend you do one and see where you are at especially on push ups/sit ups/chin ups. I realize you said they haven't changed much but tracking even small progress can be a good motivator.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”