Introduction- sauerkraut11b

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Post Reply
sauerkraut11b
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by sauerkraut11b » February 11th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Hello Rangers! I am prior service Army and I was airborne infantry. I am 26 years old. I served from 2011 to 2013 with 1-91 Cav a part of 173rd ABCT and to tell the truth to you all I was honorably discharged for failing pt standards. I wasn't the best soldier but I wasn't the worst either, I did what I was told when I was told to do it to the best of my ability. However I never did pt on my own time and it cost me. I was too busy boozing it up and fucking around being a dumbass teenager to grasp the concept of hard work. All that drinking and sucking at pt ended up starting a downward spiral of self doubt and depression. Which were the reasons I didn't get deployed and asked to stay on rear detachment. I had lost my motivation. For about a year now I have found myself missing the Army and since the birth of my son have found a new motivation. I intend to reenlist to get back some honor I had lost in my own eyes. I wanted to be a Ranger my first enlistment and I've made it my goal to do it this time as an infantryman once again. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the forums here and I intend to receive as much advice and information from you all as possible.

User avatar
IntelToad
Ranger
Posts: 2584
Joined: March 20th, 2004, 9:03 am
Location: Paris of Appalachia
Contact:

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by IntelToad » February 11th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Welcome here...I guess I'm at a loss for words which doesn't happen often.

How in God's name did you serve as an Infantryman in the 173rd and get discharged from the Army for PT standards ?

Good luck to you, there are many to help you here, but I'm seriously having a problem wrapping my head around this.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

sauerkraut11b
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by sauerkraut11b » February 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Ranger IntelToad, when I joined the Army I was under the impression that the bare minimum standard for pt was an acceptable score. When I got to my unit I was quickly corrected on that. However the young man I was didn't realize how long and hard it was to get to where my peers were. I am embarrassed by it now and I can't change what I did wrong. I can only move forward with the wisdom I have gained and become a better man because of it. I am well aware my history is bound to shock some on this thread or even piss some right off. But I like to think I'm a different man than I was.

User avatar
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin
Posts: 2502
Joined: August 13th, 2003, 3:51 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by Disinfertention » February 12th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Hey Sauerkraut,

Where do you live currently? What do you do?

I think there is a piece missing from your story or I missed it. You were discharged for passing an APFT?

I understand you want to rejoin. That's great, and your motivation to do so is also awesome. Just know there isn't anyone who has checked in here able to get an OPT 40 contract as a prior service person that I am aware of. That doesn't mean they didn't get their shot at RASP. Just means it wasn't able to be contracted to them.

What is your current APFT score? Will you enlist without an OPT 40?
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

sauerkraut11b
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by sauerkraut11b » February 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Ranger Disinfertention, I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Currently I'm going to school. I was discharged for failing to meet the PT standards. I haven't evaluated myself on an APFT yet. I've been getting back into actually working out so as to not injure myself when I do. No I will not reenlist unless I can get a guaranteed RASP slot. I don't want to risk trying to secure a slot in basic (if I even have to go back there) and get stuck doing something I don't want to do. I have looked through these forums before and saw stories of prior service guys getting option 40 contracts but they are a decade old. I have also heard of people trying to volunteer for RASP at basic and not even getting a chance at it but I may be wrong. If someone could enlighten me on how the volunteer route at basic works that would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin
Posts: 2502
Joined: August 13th, 2003, 3:51 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by Disinfertention » February 14th, 2019, 7:07 pm

The recruiting section at Regiment has expanded greatly in the last few years and includes LNOs at key locations. Since you will be at Benning, they have recruiters there that brief the infantry classes from what I have heard from guys going through over the last year. I am not sure how the rack/stack the volunteers, I have heard a few different things. From the need to have a Drill Sergeant endorse you, or by PT, or first come first serve. I will see if any of the recent graduates would mind commenting here to help fill this in. There is a much better chance now to volunteer once in OSUT/AIT compared to before though.

Have you spoke to a recruiter? I am by no means an expert on the topic but I know the rules for prior service changes year to year. I would encourage you to reach out to one even if you think you are ready or not to get some level of truth data on the topic as far as MOS and enlisting goes. Please keep us updated. I am glad you used to search function here... in means I have a lot more trust and ability to answer your questions... :lol:
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Nico14
Ranger
Posts: 95
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 8:51 am

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by Nico14 » February 14th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Volunteering for RASP in basic was as simple as signing a piece of paper, in my basic training class. The Ranger liaison came to one of our live fires and asked for any volunteers and everyone that volunteered got a RASP slot (as long as they met the waiverable GT score standard and could pass a PT test at the Army’s 60% minimum in each event). I know a few years ago it was much harder to get a slot in basic but from what I’ve been hearing nowadays you can pretty much guarantee the liaison will come to your basic training class. Plus, there is a SF/Ranger recruiting office on Sand Hill that you can schedule an appointment for to talk to a Ranger recruiter about getting a slot. There are a lot of options.
11X Option 40

Ship Date: 20180619

User avatar
Drock
Ranger
Posts: 41
Joined: October 18th, 2017, 7:09 am
Location: Greenbay

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by Drock » February 16th, 2019, 8:05 am

Once your in basic, you’ll get a briefing from both a Ranger and SF liaison. If you passed your asvab with a high enough GT score you’ll be able to sign an opt 40 right there. I’ve never heard of a single guy not getting the contract who signed for it.
Weather or not you go through basic again would depend on how long you have been out for, I think it’s 3 years but I could be wrong.
I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to pick the contract up in training so I didn’t leave untill I had one, but knowing what I know now I would’ve been just fine if I didn’t have it and signed for it in infantry osut. Airborne school will give you another opportunity, maybe it’s because the regiment is trying to increase its numbers but the rumor that was going around a couple years ago about not being gaurenteed to get it in training hasn’t proved true to me
C co 2-75

sauerkraut11b
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by sauerkraut11b » February 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Disinfertention wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 7:07 pm
The recruiting section at Regiment has expanded greatly in the last few years and includes LNOs at key locations. Since you will be at Benning, they have recruiters there that brief the infantry classes from what I have heard from guys going through over the last year. I am not sure how the rack/stack the volunteers, I have heard a few different things. From the need to have a Drill Sergeant endorse you, or by PT, or first come first serve. I will see if any of the recent graduates would mind commenting here to help fill this in. There is a much better chance now to volunteer once in OSUT/AIT compared to before though.

Have you spoke to a recruiter? I am by no means an expert on the topic but I know the rules for prior service changes year to year. I would encourage you to reach out to one even if you think you are ready or not to get some level of truth data on the topic as far as MOS and enlisting goes. Please keep us updated. I am glad you used to search function here... in means I have a lot more trust and ability to answer your questions... :lol:
I spoke to a recruiter about a year ago. I'm sure the business rules change quite frequently so I'll need to speak to another soon. Thank you for the information.

sauerkraut11b
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by sauerkraut11b » February 16th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Nico14 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 7:19 pm
Volunteering for RASP in basic was as simple as signing a piece of paper, in my basic training class. The Ranger liaison came to one of our live fires and asked for any volunteers and everyone that volunteered got a RASP slot (as long as they met the waiverable GT score standard and could pass a PT test at the Army’s 60% minimum in each event). I know a few years ago it was much harder to get a slot in basic but from what I’ve been hearing nowadays you can pretty much guarantee the liaison will come to your basic training class. Plus, there is a SF/Ranger recruiting office on Sand Hill that you can schedule an appointment for to talk to a Ranger recruiter about getting a slot. There are a lot of options.
Ranger Nico14, thank you for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

sauerkraut11b
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by sauerkraut11b » February 16th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Drock wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 8:05 am
Once your in basic, you’ll get a briefing from both a Ranger and SF liaison. If you passed your asvab with a high enough GT score you’ll be able to sign an opt 40 right there. I’ve never heard of a single guy not getting the contract who signed for it.
Weather or not you go through basic again would depend on how long you have been out for, I think it’s 3 years but I could be wrong.
I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to pick the contract up in training so I didn’t leave untill I had one, but knowing what I know now I would’ve been just fine if I didn’t have it and signed for it in infantry osut. Airborne school will give you another opportunity, maybe it’s because the regiment is trying to increase its numbers but the rumor that was going around a couple years ago about not being gaurenteed to get it in training hasn’t proved true to me
Ranger Drock, thank you for the information. I'm already airborne qualified so I won't be going there again (at least I'm pretty sure). In any case I appreciate your post.

User avatar
cams
Ranger/Moderator
Posts: 9736
Joined: June 9th, 2005, 6:45 am

Re: Introduction- sauerkraut11b

Post by cams » March 4th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Also find it hard to believe anybody couldn’t pass bare minimum PT standards, especially at such a young age where it should be a cakewalk.

While I understand your desire to correct that malfunction, the fact that you talked to a recruiter a year ago, and are still just now starting to get in some workouts, and still aren’t yet a ripped mass of regret, leads me to believe that this is a fleeting notion on your part and you’ll half step again all the way back home.

I think you may fail to realize that in Regiment every man is required to pass the APFT with a minimum of 280 and if it hasn’t changed, this must also be done at the 17-19 yr old age group for scoring, no matter how old you are. It doesn’t get easier as you get older, it just keeps getting harder.

How will you now be able to maintain that much higher standard and that amount of self discipline when you couldn’t even squeak by with the lowest standard?

Not trying to bust your balls here, but man you got a MF mountain to climb if that’s your goal, and you’re still not training properly for the task.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Post Reply

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”