Introduction - Nathan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Nathan

Post by Jim »

NathanRSF wrote:Ranger Cams,

PM inbound. Workout routine and ect is in there.
Don't send a PM. Just answer the question.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

NathanRSF wrote:Ranger Cams,

PM inbound. Workout routine and ect is in there.
Don't PM me again. I am not your personal trainer. I offered you advice and opinion as to what I feel you're doing, which is basically nothing, to improve.

You confirmed that with me by PM, as well as stated that you do quit PT'ing as soon as you feel satisfied for that day or you get some sand on your clit and give up. That shows by your lack of even including pull ups in your most recent PT test. You knew there would be no improvement so you just skipped over it. We are not as dumb as you may think young man.

I'll tell you right now that you won't make it with that attitude. You won't even make it to BAC or RASP, the PT test will send you worldwide. You don't want this. It's not for you. Please don't waste a slot that could go to someone else.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Rangers,

I apologize. I did not know I wasn't supposed to send PM's addressing Ranger Cams. Noted.

To answer the questions and address Ranger Cams statements, Im am a pussy and a quitter. Thats the only way I can put it. I've been seeing good results but not good enough. I quit when I'm not supposed too on the last 1/4 mile of a 2-3 miler when I feel like I did a good job and ect. Quite honestly I'm glad I'm being called out for my lack of results and quitter mentality. It makes me realize how much of a pussy I really am.

To Ranger Cams, I am greatful for your advice and guidance. It is the very wake-up call that I needed. I will also look for a training partner. I've trained with some people before and got very good workouts with them. It very well may be the extra push I need since I am a very competitive person. Pull-ups will also be a priority.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

NathanRSF, your words all say the right things, but in a world where young men die young, it is actions that account for your reputation.

Actions, not words. I don't call you out to be an asshole, but to hopefully make you realize that you will fail if you don't change your habits.

Correct your deficiencies, don't cheat yourself along the way, and from this day, begin to honestly live by The Ranger Creed, it will help you along your path.

I want you to make an 11"x14" sign out of cardboard and hang it somewhere you will see it several times a day. On this sign you will write, "Self Discipline" - "Always doing the right thing, even when I know nobody is watching."

See how many times you question yourself on that very statement, and how it will help you each day to improve.

Only you can truly know if this is your calling. Do, or do not. There is no try.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Ranger Cams, I have reflected on what you said over the last couple of days. Huge wake up call to say the least. I wrote on a dry erase board (it was already hung up so I just wrote on it), "Self Discipline" - "Always doing the right thing, even when I know nobody is watching." I'm going to start to do my best whatever the task from here on out.

In honor and remembrance of all the fallen Rangers who have lost their lives since September 11, 2001, I'm going to do 1 pullup, 3 pushups, 3 sit-ups for each Ranger who lost their lives since then. If my facts are right, that is 66 in all. So that would be 66 pullups, 198 sit-ups, and 198 pushups each day. I will do this for 30 days starting Monday, April 11th. This will be an amazing challenge for me that will most likely smoke me each time. This will also help me reflect on why I want to do this job, and to remember the legacy that this unit has.

I will keep all of you posted on my journey. Im hoping to see very good results physically as well as pay my respects to all of them. I want to thank Ranger Cams for inspiring me to do this.

****I will also be running/rowing 4-5 days a week.****
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Do whatever it takes to get it done. Most of all don't quit. There's a thousand + young men already in top shape that will fight for a spot in Regiment, there is your competition, and it is just to earn a chance to try out.

In the words of Ranger Goon if I may quote;

"Train harder - Somewhere, a true believer is preparing to kill you.
He is training with minimum food or water in austere conditions day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do. His rucksack weighs what it weighs. He runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The true believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700. He is home.
He knows only the cause."

Our enemy is hard, well trained and experienced.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Great words Ranger Cams. Wrote Ranger Goon's words in my journal.

I've been reading books, on foums, and taking notes for the last couple of days. Now its time to start this challenge/journey tomorrow morning. I hope to become a better man out of this. I'll update all of you Rangers in 1-2 weeks. Looking forward to the jouney.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Nathan, you have not posted in more than two months. Please update us on your progress (or lack thereof). Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Ranger Jim,

I apologize for the delay. I wanted some good news for once. As of right now I am doing a training routine that involves lots of bodyweight workouts, circuit training, and run/swim training. I'm enjoying the challenge of it. My pullup routine that I did before went really well. I can now do 7-9 chin-ups and 5-6 overhand grip pullups each set I do, I can usually maintain those rep ranges for 4-5 sets. Also, I now have a training partner who pushes me to my limit.

I'm not entirely sure what my current weight is (scale broke), all I know is that this is the best I've felt in a while. My diet is starting to get really clean, lots of fruits, veggies, and lean meats.

Current PT test:
68 Pushups
69 Sit-ups
7 Pullups
Did not do run this PT test. But, the last PT test I did, I ran a 14:55 2 miler around 2 weeks ago.
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Rangers,

I started the "12 weeks to RASP" training program on monday. It is going good so far. I feel like this will improve all of my scores.

Hoping this program will give me the all around workout regimen that I need. I will update on my progress when I can.

PT update-

Pushups: 62
Sit-ups: 71
2 mile run: 14:07
Pullups: 7
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Rangers,

It has been a long time since my last post. I figured that I would give an update.

I tore my rotator cuff 6-7 months ago which was a pretty major setback for me. I could not do pushups until about a month ago, and still do not feel comfortable doing anything overhead or any pullups. I don't really have much pain anymore, I'm just scared I'm going to tear it again.

So I have been talking to the Army and Marine Corps to see if either of them would even take me. Both said they would take me, but it would require waivers, as well as showing that I have no more issues.

So heres where I'm at, I would still like to get an option 40, but I'm not sure it is a good idea based on my medical history (flat feet/plantar fasciitis, torn rotator cuff, fractured back, hammer toes, and multiple broken fingures). I am interested in 68W, 35N, and 35G at this point. I added intel to my list of jobs I would like to do based on the fact that it is most likely a desk job in which I probably wouldn't injure myself further, the TS clearence in a golden ticket in the civilian world, and I feel I would love to analyze data all day. But I still REALLY want to be a medic. Being a medic in the 75th Ranger Regiment would be a dream come true.

I scored a 77 on my AFQT. My PT is horrendous based on the fact that I couldn't do much for around 4 months. However, I am getting back to my old self slowly but surely. We will see what happens in the near future.

Advice to anyone preparing for any special operations programs.... take care of your body. Doing the extra 15 minutes a day stretching, foam rolling, and recovering will do you wonders. Otherwise, you'll end up like me who is facing a year or so setback (maybe more).
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Henry Ford said it simple but true. "Whether you think you can, or you can't, you are right."

Appreciate you coming back and giving us an update. Take some time to re-read the advice from Ranger Cams. He has a great way with words :twisted:

Nothing ever comes easy and anything worth attaining is worth hard work.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.

I appreciate your words, and will get to re-reading all of the old posts on this thread.

My rotator cuff tear was the biggest gut check I've ever had. Once I recovered to the point where I could do normal daily functions, I ran to the recruiters office to find out if it was even possible to pursue my dream. Now that I know I am most likely eligible, I am trying to be smart about a fast and effective recovery.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Nathan, Be patient and ensure you are fully healed. What is your recruiter telling you? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Roger, Ranger Jim. I am doing my best to try and heal the proper way. I am very frustrated at how long shoulder injuries take to heal properly.

My recruiter said that I will most likely be able to join as long as I have all the medical documents to prove I have recieved treatment. Also, they want proof that it likely won't dislocate or tear again (my labrum and another place on my rotator cuff tore due to my joint dislocating). However, he said getting an option 4 or 40 is unlikely.

If I am not able to obtain an option 4 or 40, I will be the best Solider that I can be. If that is the case, hopefully I will be able to prove myself in the "big Army" and tryout for RASP as soon as I am able to. I at least would like to serve in the 101st Airborne like my grandfather did in the Korean War, or the 82nd like my oldest brother in OEF.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”