Introduction - Brendan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Brenms
Embryo

Introduction - Brendan

Post by Brenms »

Hi ya'll,

my name is Brendan, I'm 21 years old and live in Georgia. I came here to seek advice from those who have already achieved what I hope to achieve. I've been talking with a recruiter for quite a while now, and am just about ready to enlist. I started training for a Naval SpecWar contract about 3 years ago, but ultimately ended up deciding that I wanted to become a Ranger. Looking forward to some good advice and fruitful discussion.

Brendan
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20160115

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Re: Introduction - Brendan

Post by Lefty »

Welcome to the site.

Your ambition is admirable.

You need to read the site rules and FAQs to learn how to correspond on this site. The members on this site are serious individuals.

Others will be along shortly to give you instructions.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome Brrmfdn, A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing well(in spite of your initial post). If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Within the next 72 hours, please self-administer a PT test (to include pull-ups) and post your results on this thread. Begin to memorize the Ranger Creed and start living your life by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site Brendan. First things first, the members of this site are to be addressed as Rangers and not ya'll. We've worked hard and earned the title, so we expect to be addressed as Rangers. We are here to give you advice and help you along the way to earning the title Ranger, if you're willing to do what it takes to earn that title. Read much, listen a lot and you'll learn a lot. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Brendan.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

I appreciate the warm welcome, Rangers.

Ranger Rangerjd, forgive me for the mishap, won't happen again.

As of early this morning, my PT scores are as follows:

2 Mile Run - 12:15
Pushups - 112
Curlups - 121
Pullups - 24 (full arm extension)

To tell you a little bit more about myself, I was born in Kennesaw, Georgia, and have lived here for the majority of my life. I was home schooled for the majority of middle school and high school, and graduated about a year early. Right after I graduated, I took two gap years and went to Japan to attend language school. Transitioning from a small town in Georgia to a metropolis like Tokyo gave me a superior sense of freedom and also led me to do a whole bunch of stupid stuff. I'm glad I got all the stupid out of me before I went to college, though. After I got back to the States, I enrolled in community college with the goal of transferring to UGA. The plan was to go to UGA, get good grades, score some internships, make it into an ivy league business school, and then score a banking job on Wall Street. I still want to accomplish my goal of working on Wall Street, but I have always had an underlying desire to serve in the military. I feel like doing something is only worth doing to the fullest extent of my abilities, so I started looking into all of the special operations groups in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. A whole lot of mumbo jumbo later, and here I am on this forum trying to reach my goal one step at a time.
11X OPT 40

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Brenms wrote:I appreciate the warm welcome, Rangers.

Ranger Rangerjd, forgive me for the mishap, won't happen again.

As of early this morning, my PT scores are as follows:

2 Mile Run - 12:15
Pushups - 112
Curlups - 121
Pullups - 24 (full arm extension)

To tell you a little bit more about myself, I was born in Kennesaw, Georgia, and have lived here for the majority of my life. I was home schooled for the majority of middle school and high school, and graduated about a year early. Right after I graduated, I took two gap years and went to Japan to attend language school. Transitioning from a small town in Georgia to a metropolis like Tokyo gave me a superior sense of freedom and also led me to do a whole bunch of stupid stuff. I'm glad I got all the stupid out of me before I went to college, though. After I got back to the States, I enrolled in community college with the goal of transferring to UGA. The plan was to go to UGA, get good grades, score some internships, make it into an ivy league business school, and then score a banking job on Wall Street. I still want to accomplish my goal of working on Wall Street, but I have always had an underlying desire to serve in the military. I feel like doing something is only worth doing to the fullest extent of my abilities, so I started looking into all of the special operations groups in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. A whole lot of mumbo jumbo later, and here I am on this forum trying to reach my goal one step at a time.
I have to assume that you counted your own reps on the PT test, so don't get comfortable and lax just by looking at your own numbers. With a serious grader you'll see those numbers probably drop by half.

Welcome.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

Thank you Ranger Cams. Working harder every day.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Brenms wrote:Thank you Ranger Cams. Working harder every day.
If you had not realized it, this is a tough audience. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Brendan, what is your recruiter telling you at this time about securing a Ranger contract? Do you know what MOS you want to get into? Give everything you've got, ever time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

rangerjd wrote:Brendan, what is your recruiter telling you at this time about securing a Ranger contract? Do you know what MOS you want to get into? Give everything you've got, ever time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Forgive me for the late reply Rangerjd. I am going to MEPS for my medical next Tuesday. My recruiter is telling me that he has a good friend at Ft. Benning who deals with the Op.40 contracts, and that he'll try his best to get me one. He also asked if I would like to take an 18X contract if no Op.40 contracts were available. I told him no, and that I would just wait until an Op. 40 was available.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Brenms wrote:
rangerjd wrote:Brendan, what is your recruiter telling you at this time about securing a Ranger contract? Do you know what MOS you want to get into? Give everything you've got, ever time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Forgive me for the late reply Rangerjd. I am going to MEPS for my medical next Tuesday. My recruiter is telling me that he has a good friend at Ft. Benning who deals with the Op.40 contracts, and that he'll try his best to get me one. He also asked if I would like to take an 18X contract if no Op.40 contracts were available. I told him no, and that I would just wait until an Op. 40 was available.
How are your Japanese language skills? The reason I mention this is, if you are competent, Army gives language proficiency pay without regard to MOS. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

Jim wrote:How are your Japanese language skills? The reason I mention this is, if you are competent, Army gives language proficiency pay without regard to MOS. Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim, I have the JLPT N2 certification for Japanese, which technically means that I'm fluent, but I just consider myself as being able to hold up a good conversation.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

Thanks a lot for the link Ranger Jim. Rangerjd, to answer the other part of your question regarding MOS, like most guys out there, I hope to get 11B.
11X OPT 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”