Nerves in the Elbow

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
IronProphecy
Embryo

Nerves in the Elbow

Post by IronProphecy »

Something new started in my left elbow. Ive been doing sports all my life and never had a case of this. Everytime i do pushups my left elbow becomes numb or starts to tingle. Feels like you hit your funny bone. The only reason it bothers me, is because my freind got medicaly discharged for the nerves in his elbows and i have similiar symptoms. He now has to get surgery and get all types a of waivers to rejoin. with 2 years of therapy. He says his condition is very very rare, especialy with our age group.

To any who served in the Army. Have you ever heard of this or had complaints?
I was wondering if this is what everyone gets or do i have it more serious? And what can i do to help it go away? Could it just be over worked/sprained?

Thanks for your time.
"that boy aint right"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Something new started in my left elbow
Everytime i do pushups my left elbow becomes numb or starts to tingle. Feels like you hit your funny bone.
Did you just start doing pushups or has the tingle just started recently ? Do anit-inflamatories help ? Is it getting worse ? If someone kicks you in the nuts does it make the tingle in your elbow go away ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
IronProphecy
Embryo

Post by IronProphecy »

Yes it has just started recently. It happend after i increased my curl by 20lbs. I want to belive its because of the weight increase but i wasnt doing as many pushups as i was before i increased the wieght. It does get worse the longer i do a set of pushups. I.E. in a set of 65 it gets worse around 45. As far as anit-inflamatories i havent used any cause the body dont need them. Gettin kicked in the nuts.... cant say it makes it go away.
"that boy aint right"
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Start using your right arm to whack off.

Should help :lol:

Sorry Doc! Not my place............ :wink:
RSD 96-99
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

It happend after i increased my curl by 20lbs
It sounds like you have inflamed the connective tissue in your arm . It happens with curls when you go too heavy. You'll live. Take a break from your biceps/body building routine for a couple of days.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
IronProphecy
Embryo

Post by IronProphecy »

Yes Ranger Fish3069, it does radiate down to my fingers. Goes to my ring finger and pinkie. And if i keep on with my pushups i feel it on my middle finger. (on my left arm that is :) )
"that boy aint right"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

So fish, are you thinking nerve entrapment caused by inflamation of the tendon or ligament sprain ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

IronProphecy
Embryo

Post by IronProphecy »

Ranger Fish3069. It does not get reproduced when i tap on either of the mentioned. However, i looked into CTD (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome) and it does match my problems. It requires surgery with painfull and very long recovery times. If i ignore this it is possible that i may damage my elbow so bad that i will not be able to use my fingers. Even with surgery. I am now officaily pissed! Although similar symptoms that i have could be a sprain of some sort. Let us pray that is it. Because if i have CDT, I would need to get surgury. Not to mention my Ranger dream is over. Which in my mind, life is over. Im a DEPer so i dont know what to tell my recruiter. Is it possible it could be something else?
"that boy aint right"
IronProphecy
Embryo

Post by IronProphecy »

I woke up today with a large bump on my elbow. That cant be good.
"that boy aint right"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

IP, I am guessing that you sprained a ligament or strained a tendon and the resulting inflamation is putting pressure on your nerve ( nerve entrapment) in your elbow. Short of going to a doctor you need to take a break from PT that involves your arm for a few days and take something like Motrin. Your body does need an anti-inflamatory right now. There is a medical condition called Ulnar Nerve Entraptment or something like that which is a common weight lifting injury. Your symptoms are not to be ignored ! Since you now have visible inflamation in your elbow GO SEE A DOCTOR Visible inflamation could be an infection and that can kill you !

Disclamer: I have no medical training , but I did get drunk in a Holliday Inn last night.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

IronProphecy
Embryo

Post by IronProphecy »

Roger that Ranger Flesh. I just made an appointment for friday. I will take motrin because id rather not die. Cant be a good solider if dead. Thanks so much for you advise and help. Id be very lost and probly continue my PT till my arm fell of. My ultimate goal is not avoid surgery and continue my PT in a month or so. Which will be hard cause by then it will be snowing.

Also how common is Ulnar Nerve entrapment in wieght lifting? I only ask cause its some what relieving knowing that it might not be cubial. I highly doubt its cubital cause im allways doing some type of exercise, im just hoping i over pt'd do to anxiousness to hit the army life.

Once again thanks, you might have just saved my Army career.
"that boy aint right"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Also how common is Ulnar Nerve entrapment in wieght lifting?
How I am I suppose to know ? I ain't a doctor. If I was I wouldn't be giving out free medical advice on the web. :wink:
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Return to “Medical Issues”