Going back to RASP

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Going back to RASP

Post by musicmano3596 »

Hello Rangers,

So I have three questions.

A) Please explain/correct me on the process of going to RASP mid contract. From what I understand, I would need a 4187 signed by my command, I would then go TDY to RASP 1, complete the course, return to my PDS and start the process of PCSing to my newly assigned Batt.

B) As a "prior/current service member" (Not really sure how they would describe it) who has already seen what Rasp has to offer even if I haven't experienced most of it first hand, I would expect to have an advantage over those that would be in my class seeing as how 95% of the class would just be getting out of basic/AIT. I am curious as to what obstacles I should be expecting to face as well though. Both in the process of being accepted back into the program, and once I arrive back at Ft. Benning.

C) How long could I reserve my RASP class date in advance for, seeing as I have 7.5 months left of my deployment.

Thanks in advance
Infantryman
Currently overseas assigned to 4th Brigade (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division.
Sparta Lives!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Going back to RASP

Post by centermass »

musicmano3596 wrote:Hello Rangers,

So I have three questions.

A) Please explain/correct me on the process of going to RASP mid contract. From what I understand, I would need a 4187 signed by my command, I would then go TDY to RASP 1, complete the course, return to my PDS and start the process of PCSing to my newly assigned Batt.
This one is going to depend on what the Regiment has available and your MOS. It also depends whether or not DA is willing to PCS you from your current assignment and your units willingness to release you as well.
musicmano3596 wrote:B) As a "prior/current service member" (Not really sure how they would describe it) who has already seen what Rasp has to offer even if I haven't experienced most of it first hand, I would expect to have an advantage over those that would be in my class seeing as how 95% of the class would just be getting out of basic/AIT. I am curious as to what obstacles I should be expecting to face as well though. Both in the process of being accepted back into the program, and once I arrive back at Ft. Benning.
Don't even get started thinking you have an advantage over anyone there as you'll be right back at square one. You didn't even get past the PT test first time around and your "Experience" (Putting it bluntly) really doesn't mean squat.
musicmano3596 wrote:C) How long could I reserve my RASP class date in advance for, seeing as I have 7.5 months left of my deployment.
If your command gives you a green light for all this, you put your paper work in and when Big Army says go, you go.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Re: Going back to RASP

Post by musicmano3596 »

Roger Ranger centermass,

My mos is 11B.

I understand completely that I have no "experience" in this world, as well as fully realizing how unprofitable my time spent there will be for making me better or more likely to succeed. Looking back a better description would have been "insight" If it could even be considered that. Nevertheless I will go into this always remembering to keep myself at 100%.

That last sentence did answer one last question I had which was, would the Big Army decide when I could go or would Regiment.

Respectfully,
Caleb
Infantryman
Currently overseas assigned to 4th Brigade (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division.
Sparta Lives!

Return to “Recruitment Process”