Weight vest

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Kinnakor
Embryo

Weight vest

Post by Kinnakor »

I recently got a 50lbs weight vest to help prepare for the army, I was wondering if anyone uses a weight vest also and how much it helps them? I plan on wearing it all day long for at least a month only taking it off to sleep and shower so I could get used to having 50lbs on me like it being my normal body weight.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Weight vest

Post by Steadfast »

Kinnakor wrote:I recently got a 50lbs weight vest to help prepare for the army, I was wondering if anyone uses a weight vest also and how much it helps them? I plan on wearing it all day long for at least a month only taking it off to sleep and shower so I could get used to having 50lbs on me like it being my normal body weight.

This vest you got Kinnakor should only be worn at the beach in the water to keep you from floating away! :twisted:

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Bad idea.

Your body will get used to walking around with an LCE and ruck on all by itself.

Studies show that wearing weights to run do NOT improve your run time when the weights aren't worn.

So I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish. Return the weightvest.
WarCunter

Kinnakor

Post by WarCunter »

Kinnakor

won't work, just run normally without all that crap. Have rythm to your run. since most of the time you'll run in platoon or company formations.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Kinnakor

Post by Earthpig »

warhunter wrote:most of the time you'll run in platoon or company formations.
Unless he gets to a Ranger Battalion. We ran as a Squad more than we did as a large unit.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

Question to Rangers and others,

Kinnakor didn't specifically mention that he planned on running in his weight vest; however, since he only takes it off to shower it would seem logical that he does include running. My question is this, would wearing the weight vest during day-to-day activites, around the house, WITHOUT running in it, yield any positives or negatives? It has been established that running with weight is bad for your knees, but I'm asking about activity aside from running. It seems like a lot of investment ($$$) for a return that could be achieved by just humping a ruck; however, would wearing the vest around, walking up stairs, hiking - USING THE VEST IN PLACE OF A LOADED RUCK - yield any conditioning or muscle memory, and how would the risk of injury compare if the same was done with a ruck? I would infer that conditioning results and injury risk would be comparable to using a ruck, but I'm curious to hear any ideas or experience.

Personally, those weight vests are far too pricey for me, though I'd probably take one if it was free...

Another question. I have an external frame backpack that I used back in my high school days going on overnight backpacking trips. I have been using this lately to load up with weights and condition; would this pack adequately simulate/prepare for doing the same with an Army ruck? I'm aware that the Army load bearing equipment is different from a commercial external frame pack, but i would assume that they are adequately enough similar in the sense of getting used to loading shit up on your back and getting used to carrying it.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: After proofing my post, I realized I had no idea where the word "ruck" came from except that it came from "rucksack." So, straight from Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: ruck·sack
Pronunciation: 'r&k-"sak, 'ruk-
Function: noun
Etymology: German, from German dialect, from Rucken back + Sack sack
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
dolsen175
Ranger

Post by dolsen175 »

Voodoo medicine bud. Wearing a weight vest around is like weighing 50 more pounds and doing physical activity. The weight of the ruck is put on your lower back and shoulders. Plus you just look stupid wearing a weight vest. Find a ruck put 50 plus pounds in it move out and stop looking for short cuts.
RSTB 07-present
RHHC 04-07
Bco 1/75 99-03
Class 11-00
Kinnakor
Embryo

Post by Kinnakor »

I know chinese martial artist used to put stones on there wrist and ankles and wear something heavy on there upperbody to build strength and speed, thats where i kinda got the idea from. Like if earths gravity suddenly doubled our muscles would have to become stronger to deal with the extra weight and gravity, then after awhile if it went back to normal gravity you would be alot stronger than you were than if it didn't happened, thats also i kind thought up the idea. the vest i got was from www.weightvest.com
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Darby Crash (Germs) used to take 10 hits of acid and jump off the Santa monica pier too........
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Zaknafien wrote::lol: once i mistakenly went for a run with my body armor on.. 3 miles...felt like 10.. was dying at the end..drenched in sweat..knees were fucked up for a week afterwards.

Well then Zak..........I reckon you're no motherfucking Bruce Lee.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway

Return to “About Army Physical Training”